Why become a member? ×

Performance Guitars P Bass - NOW SOLD

molan

Built at Performance Guitar in Hollywood CA, by Yasuhiro Yokote; an amazing custom builder with a client list that reads like a who's who of LA guitar gods!

There's a really good article about Performance Guitars here [url="http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/Feb/Hot_Rodder_to_the_Stars_Inside_Performance_Guitar.aspx"]http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issu...nce_Guitar.aspx[/url]

They have been making a very limited range of basses with the most notable being the Louis Johnson Signature Black Dragon.

Not really sure of the history of this one & they don't list a P bass design at all on their web site. However I think they did make a run of both P & J shapes for a while.

This one came to me from a regular gigging & session guy in LA & he added a few upgrades to the already very high base spec.

He swapped all the hardware to fit black units which, I think, look really cool against the faded look of the ivory white body and tinted guard & neck. There are a few small dings in the body (which make me think the nitro theory is true). All the original chrome units plus the stock pickup are included as is a very nice G&G hard 'vintage' case.

It's now got a Badass bridge, Hipshot lollipop tuners & Bartolini pickup which has a great growly P bass sound. Really meaty with lots of power.

I was told the body finish is in nitro but I don't really know how to test this so i can't confirm 100%.

The neck is a lovely dark rosewood which works well with the body colour and feels great to play.

This bass is also residing at BassGear in Harrogate if anyone would like to try it out :)

[url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pre-owned/performance-guitar-p-bass/"]http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/pr...-guitar-p-bass/[/url]

Edited by molan

It never ceases to amaze me what a fickle bunch we are :)

Since listing this last night there's been quite a few people looking but no comments or enquiries.

Meanwhile a Sadowsky that I haven't even put up for sale yet has generated three PM's about it.

As an owner of both Sadowsky and Performance Guitar basses I'm happy to say that I think this P bass is easily the match of both of the US Sadowskys I've owned in terms of build quality and core tone.

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='917217' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:45 PM']It never ceases to amaze me what a fickly bunch we are :)

Since listing this last night there's been quite a few people looking but no comments or enquiries.

Meanwhile a Sadowsky that I haven't even put up for sale yet has generated three PM's about it.

As an owner of both Sadowsky and Performance Guitar basses I'm happy to say that I think this P bass is easily the match of both of the US Sadowskys I've owned in terms of build quality and core tone.[/quote]

Fickle... FICKLE... Oh I we are aren't we! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='917220' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:47 PM']Fickle... FICKLE... Oh I we are aren't we! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Of course I am as bad as anyone, lol.

Having bought my Performance Louis Johnson Signature I was amazed at just how nice it was & snapped up this P bass when it appeared.

If I was going to keep a 1.75" nut P bass then this is definitely the one I'd have. I always thought it would be just a great bass for a rock gig with all that black hardware against the ivory white body :)

Here's a bigger pic of just the body :

[quote name='kevbass' post='917252' date='Aug 6 2010, 06:06 PM']Way out of my price range but have to say that is one good looking bass[/quote]

It really does look nice in the flesh - can't quite explain why but it does feel just 'right' somehow

Of the various basses I have up for sale this is actually the one I'm most likely to hang on to as I can't think of a nicer P bass that I've played and you never know when that 'rock' gig might come up that just demands a P lol

[quote name='blackmn90' post='918202' date='Aug 7 2010, 06:16 PM']seeing all these nice basses you are selling molan, reminds me of going to the carnival when i was a young skipper. Lots of candy! only this is obviously just eye candy :)[/quote]

Sometimes people come round just to 'play' for a while :rolleyes:

[quote name='molan' post='917217' date='Aug 6 2010, 05:45 PM']It never ceases to amaze me what a fickly bunch we are :)

As an owner of both Sadowsky and Performance Guitar basses I'm happy to say that I think this P bass is easily the match of both of the US Sadowskys I've owned in terms of build quality and core tone.[/quote]

I can't say I agree with that! A well known brand will always generate more interest that a lesser known brand, won't it.

I often look at interesting expensive basses as they invariably look tasty, but funds are usually waaaaaaay to low to be seriously interested.

Great looking bass! I only do 5 strings though

[quote name='Golchen' post='918551' date='Aug 8 2010, 09:27 AM']I can't say I agree with that! A well known brand will always generate more interest that a lesser known brand, won't it.

I often look at interesting expensive basses as they invariably look tasty, but funds are usually waaaaaaay to low to be seriously interested.

Great looking bass! I only do 5 strings though[/quote]

I hear what you are saying - I guess what I was trying to express was that a lot of people say they are looking for something a little different & prepared to try new things out.

However a lot of people actually aren't and prefer to stick to what they know like Fender, Musicman, Lakaland etc.

Obviously there's no right or wrong here, lol.

Still open to PX offers on this :)

Well - looks like the scarcity of Performance Guitars isn't helping demand on this so let's drop price by a decent amount & see if stirs up any interest :)

How about £1,200 for a hand-built boutique Los Angeles manufactured beauty?

Edited by molan

One thing I should say about this is that it's very much a 'player's' bass. When I first got it I couldn't put it down, just did exactly what a good P bass should do as far as I'm concerned. Although it's from a fairly high end builder that really doesn't mean it's not an everyday gigging machine :)

My only reason for selling is that it has a typical P bass nut width and I find that slightly too wide for me (which is why I've invested in a Sadowsky P with a narrower nut!).

If it helps I'll throw in UK shipping at this price.

• 2 weeks later...

So my Sadowsky P with narrower nut width has arrived and I really don't think there's a lot between the two basses. They sound different (unsurprising given the differing electronics) but the Performance build quality is up there with an NYC Sadowsky IMHO.

I'll knock another £50 off and make it £1,150 if that makes it any more interesting :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Slight GAS attack prompting me to drop the price to a straight £1,000 collected from sunny Oxfordshire :)

Not really interested in trading at this price (unless someone also wants to lower their valuation by a similar amount, lol).