Why become a member? ×

Elixir or Optima Gold Strings?

DaveMuadDib

Ok, I'd like to get some good longlife strings that can last me relatively indefinitely (or at least much longer!). On my main bass I do change strings fairly regularly, but on my very first bass, I've still got the stock squier strings! I'd like to find a middle ground :)

I've heard good things about both the Elixirs with their plastic coating and the Optima Gold coated strings. The thing that scares me about Elixir is that they seem like they go all furry, so I'm leaning towards the gold plated (particularly with my gold hardware!). Or is there something else I'm missing.

For the record, no, I'm not going to stop being a lazy cheapskate and change my strings regularly!

Elixers do go a bit furry, especially if you use a pick, but it doesnt seem to affect the tone. They do last ages and sound good. I tend to find after 6 months or so they lose a bit of definition (I'm sure that despite the coating keeping the dirt out they'll still eventually suffer from metal fatigue) but not enough to warrent changing them (not at £35 a set + £5 for a B string, anyway!)

Edited by Wil

[quote name='DaveMuadDib' post='915817' date='Aug 5 2010, 12:19 PM']Ok, I'd like to get some good longlife strings that can last me relatively indefinitely (or at least much longer!). On my main bass I do change strings fairly regularly, but on my very first bass, I've still got the stock squier strings! I'd like to find a middle ground :)

I've heard good things about both the Elixirs with their plastic coating and the Optima Gold coated strings. The thing that scares me about Elixir is that they seem like they go all furry, so I'm leaning towards the gold plated (particularly with my gold hardware!). Or is there something else I'm missing.

For the record, no, I'm not going to stop being a lazy cheapskate and change my strings regularly![/quote]

I find elixirs fantastic. They just go on and on. Interestingly I used to have a maple bodied pedulla thunderbolt and found the elixirs a poor match. They sounded dull and lifeless. however for the more common alder and ash bodied guitars you cannot go wrong

[quote name='Wil' post='919454' date='Aug 9 2010, 11:56 AM']They still feel quite like rounds, albiet with a slipperyness that uncoated strings dont have. I'd say they would be kinder than regular rounds but they still might chew the board up given time.[/quote]

I used to use roundwounds, and whilst they caused some wear, it's minimal and has taken years to get to this stage. I'll risk it I think.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='919469' date='Aug 9 2010, 12:07 PM']I love my Elixirs...[/quote]
Keep hearing this. I'm looking like a potential convert.