Why become a member? ×

34' handling B string

rapscallion

To be honest I am not convinced scale length makes a massive difference to B string definition, having owned 34,35 and 36" basses. I think it is more down to neck construction and overall build quality/materials. Give it a shot and see. There may be someone with a spare B lying around they could send to you for a test?

Cheers
ped

You might like to try a heavier B string, but I am tuned in flat and have light strings and the B string is extremely clear and gutteral, so if it isn't right with your usual size then it might be a no hoper.

I wouldn't bother adjusting the nut if you are just going to try it - unless there is lots of space under the string in the slot which is unlikely.

Let us know how you get on...

ped

[quote name='ped' post='102445' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:43 PM']To be honest I am not convinced scale length makes a massive difference to B string definition, having owned 34,35 and 36" basses. I think it is more down to neck construction and overall build quality/materials.

Cheers
ped[/quote]
+1

I've had a few basses that are 34" scale which have great sounding low 'B' strings, thinking of a couple of Musicmans and my Roscoe Beck V to mention just a few.

I agree that its the string and construction that make the most difference: I've owned a 35" neck though who's B wasn't as good as that on my 34" bass because I was using the same size string, and with the longer scale length it was too tight, giving it no resonance or sustain.

You really have to experiment to see what works for you, and while it may not be worth a £50 professional new nut & set up, it may be worth buying the bits and learning how to do it yourself (its really quit easy I found).

my Spector has more definition on the low notes than either of the 5's I owned before (SR5/MIA Jazz).also feels less floppy. I cant fault the others construction as they were both great made basses,and I tried loads of brands and gauges of strings with those other two 5's, so imho,I'd say that I much prefer the 35" scale length for a B string