Why become a member? ×

early G&L Basses - sleeping classic or what?

Bassnut62

I believe there really is something magical about instruments designed by Leo Fender that were made when he was still personally involved in the company.
As evidence of this I submit to the court pre-CBS Fenders and pre-EB Music Mans.

So I wonder if anyone reckons there is anything magical about G&Ls that were made before Leo died in the early 90s, i.e. when he was still personally involved in the design and manufacture of these fine instruments.
What does this UK bass jury reckon?
and
Does anyone else reckon early G&L basses are sleeping classics that will in future enter the legendary realms of a pre-CBS Fender and a pre-EB Music Man? If so, why?

Think I might post this over on Talk Bass too for a bit of US comment, seeing as G&Ls are more readily available over there....

Edited by Bassnut62

I agree there is something slightly romantic about the intruments while he was with said companies.

But it will always be weather it's good or not, no matter if he was there or not. There is a fair share of horror stories about vintage fenders, and pre-EB musicman basses arnt totally problem free.

But there is always someone who will pay over the odds for a pre cbs fender even if its a bad one. It comes down to the fact that if you own a pre cbs Fender,Pre EB or an early G&L no one can dispute the fact it may of been made and touched by the man himself.Its the same with all collectable stuff and no matter how good something is now people want the originals instead.Look at any custom jazz bass and they have ironed out all the problems but in years to come Alleva and the like will never hit the pre cbs Fender prices Im sure of it.I would be fairly happy to bet that in 20 years the pre CBS will be mental money,pre EB tripled maybe? and G&L up to about double todays prices.So I think you are right next big (ish)thing early G&L so lets get while they are cheap! :)
They need a snappier name though dont they and pre at the start is a winner as we know, any thoughts?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='911043' date='Jul 31 2010, 10:59 AM']...Alleva and the like will never hit the pre cbs Fender prices Im sure of it....[/quote]

Thats cos his prices are already at the same level lol

Si

G&L stands for George & Leo. George was Leo Fender's right hand man back when Leo still owned Fender. George & Leo set G&L up together after Leo left Music Man I think; so that must've been in the early 80s. Leo died in about 93 I think.

In terms of touched by the man, some of the Asats were actually signed by Leo under the varnish, including mine!
Not bad for £500 from a dusty music shop in Notts run by a dodgy pirate.

As for the pre bit, I've seen some peops refer to pre-BBE G&Ls; maybe some company called BBE bought G&L off Leo's estate.

.This came up the other day,Musical exchanges in Brum used to have a tunnel full of old stuff and anything other than fender went in there,It would be like finding a shop in 20 years time with Allevas,Sadowskys,Overwaters and GB's etc all for a quater of what they cost new.Fender is just a massive household name and shows no sign of slowing which will drag the associated guitars/basses with it.I have seen people walk out with a Xmas bass package for £200 thats fit for the bonfire and walk past spectors and stuff in the tunnel because its secondhand and at the same time drool at a horid relic Fender that played like sh*t warmed up for £3000 just because its on a seperate peg with a spotlight on it?

£500 signed is always going to be a bargain! well done.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

How do I find out if Leo signed mine under the varnish?!

I found out recently my ASAT is an early-ish one (at least pre'98, I know they went back much further) but you can only find out the exact date by taking the neck off to read the full serial number. I don't think they'll ever hit the heights of early Fenders and Stingrays due to the lack of high profile players. This always leaves me in two minds, on one hand it's staggering that these things aren't more popular, they look great, play great and sound miles better than 95% of basses. But I also love the fact so few people know about them or won't take the plunge if they do. The "hit record" pedigree of these things will always limit their resale value. In the meantime I'll keep picking up work for the good sound I get and hope the bubble doesn't burst!

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='911138' date='Jul 31 2010, 12:28 PM']In terms of touched by the man, some of the Asats were actually signed by Leo under the varnish, including mine!
Not bad for £500 from a dusty music shop in Notts run by a dodgy pirate.[/quote]

This made me laugh, stupid pirates. What shop was it btw ?

I know Leo Fender is quoted to be saying "best intruments I have ever made" but to me he never really made/anything different.

I know they do telecaster shaped body basses (ASAT), and basically teles with split coil pickups now, but there isn't much to my eyes that's different.

Don't really know as to the original question (it would be nice as one of mine could be fairly early in the model line up) but as a G&L convert I have to say don't buy them as an investment, buy them as bloody marvellous basses.

I now have the twin L2500's - red 4+1 headstock, fretted that might be earlyish going by the serial stamped on the neck plate, and green 3+2 fretless and both play and sound just great. The Wal is in semi retirement for the occasional gig with the prog covers band, when we have room for all the gear, and recording at home. The G&L's are the main basses now, and the fretless was only originally bought for use with the prog band, but is now coming to Alibi gigs as well

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='911145' date='Jul 31 2010, 12:34 PM'].This came up the other day,Musical exchanges in Brum used to have a tunnel full of old stuff and anything other than fender went in there,It would be like finding a shop in 20 years time with Allevas,Sadowskys,Overwaters and GB's etc all for a quater of what they cost new.Fender is just a massive household name and shows no sign of slowing which will drag the associated guitars/basses with it.I have seen people walk out with a Xmas bass package for £200 thats fit for the bonfire and walk past spectors and stuff in the tunnel because its secondhand and at the same time drool at a horid relic Fender that played like sh*t warmed up for £3000 just because its on a seperate peg with a spotlight on it?

£500 signed is always going to be a bargain! well done.[/quote]

spookily I got my 63 Precision from that very same tunnel at MusEx in Brum in around 96 for £1250.
The only thing that is not 100% original is that it was refinned, probably 20 years ago.
what a great shop it used to be.
They even let me strip the entire bass down to check every detail and they gave me a new Fender hard case for it.
Class act, thanks MusEx

[quote name='scalpy' post='911277' date='Jul 31 2010, 02:46 PM']How do I find out if Leo signed mine under the varnish?!

I found out recently my ASAT is an early-ish one (at least pre'98, I know they went back much further) but you can only find out the exact date by taking the neck off to read the full serial number. I don't think they'll ever hit the heights of early Fenders and Stingrays due to the lack of high profile players. This always leaves me in two minds, on one hand it's staggering that these things aren't more popular, they look great, play great and sound miles better than 95% of basses. But I also love the fact so few people know about them or won't take the plunge if they do. The "hit record" pedigree of these things will always limit their resale value. In the meantime I'll keep picking up work for the good sound I get and hope the bubble doesn't burst![/quote]

nice one scalpy - i agree, totally frightening bass and so versatile. I recently played a party with some mates where we ended up as a live karaoke band for anyone that wanted to sing; the range of requests ranged through rock, funk, soul, pop, reggae, disco, punk. No worries for the amazing array of sounds from an Asat tho. It covered the lot with ease.

as for the Leo signature. It's in some kind of white pen right in the middle of the top right of the body, where the pick-up selector of a Les Paul would be. You can see it easily, it's above the paint, but below the varnish or lacquer. I've been told these signed ones are worth £3k; but I've seen them for around £750 on evilbay, so i don't really believe that value. Also, I'm not 100% convinced it really is signed by Leo's own hand rather than a transfer. But I do believe that this was only done while Leo was alive.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='911333' date='Jul 31 2010, 04:22 PM']This made me laugh, stupid pirates. What shop was it btw ?

I know Leo Fender is quoted to be saying "best intruments I have ever made" but to me he never really made/anything different.

I know they do telecaster shaped body basses (ASAT), and basically teles with split coil pickups now, but there isn't much to my eyes that's different.[/quote]

Fat Cat in Mansfield - if you go there, you better know how to deal or you may well lose out.
Every musician I know here in Notts has a story about how they got the sh1tty end of the stick there.
It's almost a right of passage as a Notts musician!
Most will never go back!
Having said that he does sometimes have some nice used gear.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='911680' date='Aug 1 2010, 09:29 AM']spookily I got my 63 Precision from that very same tunnel at MusEx in Brum in around 96 for £1250.
The only thing that is not 100% original is that it was refinned, probably 20 years ago.
what a great shop it used to be.
They even let me strip the entire bass down to check every detail and they gave me a new Fender hard case for it.
Class act, thanks MusEx[/quote]

Nice one thats sounds like a very good deal, It also highlights how cheap the custom and unusual stuff was then,Im sure they had a steinberger for £50 you know?,I remember a rasta guy playing it all day (Yes, we used to get the bus in and stay all day!)and could not decide if he should or not, at £50 I hope he did! I hate them but even still at that price I would take it.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='911630' date='Aug 1 2010, 03:32 AM']I love the string spacing on G&L 2500 basses that I've played. But they tended to sound a little dark to me.[/quote]

I've found that my US L2000 is slightly darker or richer sounding than my Tribute L2500. The trib is slightly brighter, but I like the fact that they're different tone wise, it gives me a few more options, but the playability on both is just fantastic.

Mine's not signed.

Still tobacco sunburst looks great!

It doesn't sound dark, either, it's the weight about the tone I like whilst still having a definite pitch. I've been working with a guy using an alembic and it sounds huge, but sometimes it's just that, a sound not a note. However, it will be worth a fortune just because those things always are, aren't they?

tobacco burst sounds smokin'

I have to say I am only really thinking of these fine instruments as classics in terms of quality and class, not ugly pounds.

anyway scalps, sounds like you've got a great instrument there.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='912298' date='Aug 1 2010, 10:12 PM']tobacco burst sounds smokin'

I have to say I am only really thinking of these fine instruments as classics in terms of quality and class, not ugly pounds.

anyway scalps, sounds like you've got a great instrument there.[/quote]

Absolutely! And whilst it's nice knowing the sterling of an instrument, you're right, the quality and class are more important. If only it play rhythm stick by itself.