Why become a member? ×

Price check- new bridge cost

Hi folks,
The bridge on my 5 string upright is warping somewhat (and I also cut one of the slots a bit too low) so I'm looking to get a new bridge fitted. Just been in touch with my local shop (The Violin Shop in Glasgow) who quoted me £135 for a 'self fitting' bridge, £195 for a standard carved bridge and about £250 for a bridge with height adjusters.

I've always been a mainly classical player but have started to do folky type gigs and would like to get more into jazz playing too. Also, I spent so long playing on borrowed instruments I've never really had a chance to decide how I like my action (or string height, if you're one the mad TB string height Nazis :rolleyes:), so I'm leaning towards spending the extra cash on the height adjusters.

Are these prices reasonable, in your experience? And do you think the extra cash for the height adjusters is justified?

Any advice appreciated :)
Cheers
Kyle

...been thinking to fit height adjusters to my upright...

[url="http://www.mjbl.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=24:double-bass-bridge-adjusters&catid=9:dbbridgeadj&Itemid=9"]http://www.mjbl.co.uk/index.php?option=com...dj&Itemid=9[/url]

...price is about right...

You could save money if you were to do it yourself (that's the route I'm thinking off).

Good luck

Wil

[quote name='zero9' post='907023' date='Jul 27 2010, 01:14 PM']You could save money if you were to do it yourself (that's the route I'm thinking off).[/quote]

Indeed so, but I would strongly recommend the use of a drill press (or drill stand) to ensure the holes drilled into the bridge for the adjusters are parallel, otherwise all kinds of time consuming problems occur. It is very difficult to get the required accuracy with a handheld drill.

Needless to say, I learned this the hard way. There is really no need because even factoring in the cost of a drill stand, it should still be cost effective.

As I've receommened before, Chuck Traegar's book contains essential information on the fitting of and shaping of bridges & adjusters.

Jennifer

I thought about the DIY route, but I don't think it's one I want to pursue at this point. I have enough other stuff going on right now (trying to make progress on ongoing house repairs, mainly) that I would rather just pay the price and get it done. If I did it myself it would most likely end up bodged together somewhere along the line, like the bicycle I tried to repair that has sat half repaired for about two years :)

Hey guys,

I had Ken Macdonald in Edinburgh do my bridge on my old bass. He just fitted adjusters but it was only about £50 for that and re shaping the top of the bridge. Might be worth checking him out, I lost his number a while ago but im sure it would be easy to find him.

My general point, which im never too clear in making is, buy a bridge from somewhere and get him to fit it, reason being if you try to fit your own bridge there is a chance of the soundpost falling and I'm sure you guys know that. If you have the tools to re-fit a post then might be worth the try.....

But def check Ken out...good value and fast turnaround.

Dara

I'd agree with the Ken McDonald recommendation. He's done some work on my bass which I'm very happy with. Personally I'd shy away from buying a bridge and taking it to someone to get it fitted unless you're really clued up about these things, as choosing the correct width to line up with the bass bar is apparently fairly critical.

I bought this recently [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170520764935&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1154"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1154[/url]. Bit of a risk but would like to play with action on my DB and it seemed the simplest method. I'll keep you posted

C

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a bridge with the adjusters on ebay from China for £21

dont know how they do it, but its great, good bridge and the brass adjusters work fine.

cant remember exactly, but I think it was about a fiver postage and took about 7 working days to arrive.

some of the chinese stuff is amazing!!

[quote name='Beedster' post='910785' date='Jul 30 2010, 10:43 PM']I bought this recently [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170520764935&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1154"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_500wt_1154[/url]. Bit of a risk but would like to play with action on my DB and it seemed the simplest method. I'll keep you posted

C[/quote]
looks good, almost as good a deal as mine!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got my bass back from the shop today (took a bit longer than expected as I thought they would phone me when it was done...) and my first impression is that the new bridge (with adjusters) has made a massive difference to the sound- it now has that jazzy growl in spades. Arco sounds better too- it really sings. Hard to say if my ears are playing tricks on me as I never recorded it before getting it changed but I hope not! I would never have thought getting the bridge changed would make a big difference but it does seem to have done so. The only problem is the arch on the bridge is quite shallow for a 5 string so will need some practice with the bow, I think.