Why become a member? ×

Funk Gig...you guys play any of these...

bubinga5

Got a gig soon with a funk outfit...got a list of tunes..i know most of them like Parliament, Stevie, JB, Chic,Isley b's...Trying to get them to do Do I Do!! maybe next time..anyone play any of these...? also anyone got any good vids of them/anyone playing them..its always great to see different takes on em

Gimme some lovin / Stevie Winwood
Taxman / The Beatles
I wish / Stevie Wonder
Hard to Handle / Black Crowes or Otis Redding
Knock on Wood - Eddie Floyd
I'm a Man - Spencer Davis Group
It's Your thing - Isley Brothers
Get out my life women - Lee Dorsey
Take me higher - Sly & the Family Stone
- Superstition - Stevie Wonder
- Give up the funk - Parliament
Play that funkee music - Wild Cherry
Livin For the city - Stevie Wonder
Sex machine - James Brown
Good Times/Rappers Delight - Chic sugarhill gang

[quote name='bubinga5' post='902297' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:13 PM']Got a gig soon with a funk outfit...got a list of tunes..i know most of them like Parliament, Stevie, JB, Chic,Isley b's...Trying to get them to do Do I Do!! maybe next time..anyone play any of these...? also anyone got any good vids of them/anyone playing them..its always great to see different takes on em

Taxman / The Beatles
I wish / Stevie Wonder
Good Times/Rappers Delight - Chic sugarhill gang[/quote]

In past bands I've done:

I Wish
Knock On Wood
Paly That FunkyMusic
Rappers Delight
Superstition
Sex Machine

I'd love to play Give Up The Funk.

[quote name='Doddy' post='902314' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:27 PM']I regularly play 'Gimme some Loving', 'I Wish', 'Superstition','Hard to Handle','Knock on Wood' and 'Sex Machine'.I play 'Do I Do' a lot aswell.
I also play 'Funk Music' but that's with a different band[/quote]
PM'd Doddy..

Thought some of those are in the "Compulsory Figures" for pub funk bands :)

Youtube will turn up versions of all of those played by various people. You probably need to concentrate on the versions they have listed though as some vary a lot.

Here's a few I like

Too 'ard to 'andle
Quite like the Grateful Dead's little kick in the chord figure..

Stevie Ray Vaughn's version of Superstition is a pub rock standard but Stevland's on Sesame Street is good and the bass is on a bass and not a keyboard ... Better bass line than on the record too but you may find raised eyebrows in the band if they want the very simple orginal version.
If you are lucky your lot will play it in E rather than Eb :rolleyes:

The Jackons do a good version of It's your thing, if a tad slow for live.

I play that in my funk band (but on baritone sax) If you have any say in it I'd say keep it as short as you can.
Civilians loose the plot pretty fast on semi-obscure funk tunes with no obvious chord progressions and no words, unless the whole room is really bopping....

They are all great fun to play on bass and, of course, you are the Main Man in keeping those backsides moving ... :lol:

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Doddy' post='902314' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:27 PM']I regularly play 'Gimme some Loving', 'I Wish', 'Superstition','Hard to Handle','Knock on Wood' and 'Sex Machine'.I play 'Do I Do' a lot aswell.
I also play 'Funk Music' but that's with a different band[/quote]

Ha ha yep.
That's a conversation I have a lot :)

We do a version of 'I Wish', check it out here. Recording is a few years old. [url="http://soundcloud.com/biker-groove-party-band/sets/biker-groove-party-band"]http://soundcloud.com/biker-groove-party-b...oove-party-band[/url]

Played most of the tunes at one time or another!

You've GOT to check out Chicago's version of I'm a Man, from the days when they were a proper rock band, it's got lary feedback guitars, a drum solo and a big smash-up ending, all in a 3 minute single! It totally smokes, hope you enjoy it!
Couldn't find the single version on Youtube, but it is just the album version edited down, I think.
Cheers
Jules

[quote name='bubinga5' post='902297' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:13 PM']Got a gig soon with a funk outfit...got a list of tunes..i know most of them like Parliament, Stevie, JB, Chic,Isley b's...Trying to get them to do Do I Do!! maybe next time..anyone play any of these...? also anyone got any good vids of them/anyone playing them..its always great to see different takes on em

Taxman / The Beatles
I wish / Stevie Wonder
Good Times/Rappers Delight - Chic sugarhill gang[/quote]

Just started playing a couple of these with a band recently. Although I usually try and get stuff by ear to start with, I did find that typing the name of the tune and 'bass' afterwards in youtube usually yielded some good results. Also Marlowe DK's websites were really useful for some tricky parts I couldnt hear properly on some recordings. Its good to see how other people play the tunes too.

Superstition is great fun to play and reproducing the original synth bass (I dont think it was originally a bass guitar) on 5 string is great fun and I actually quite like the original line. The band I am playing with want to change the key and do a medley with play that funky music, I am sure that it has been a million times before but its a bit of fun.

Some fun tunes there, let us know when your playing, too many rock/metal bands and not enough funk.

If the dep band jammed 'Superstition', then I would expect them to probably throw in 'Funky Music' in the song as well...they might even do so with " I wish' as well..but that would be getting rid of 3 good dancey numbers all at the same time.

The key is always going to be around the D-E range and it really depends on who the singer is that night, IME and how the band leader takes it.

You just need to be on your toes and ears-out.

Most bands destroy Superstition. They play it too fast and like a rock number with the emphasis on the riff. That kills it for me. The secret to making the number groove is getting the drum pattern right then the bass pedalling 4's on the root. Let the notes run into each other.

I only play with one drummer who plays the right feel, and when he's on the gig I could play it all night.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='903003' date='Jul 23 2010, 11:33 AM']Most bands destroy Superstition. They play it too fast and like a rock number with the emphasis on the riff. That kills it for me. The secret to making the number groove is getting the drum pattern right then the bass pedalling 4's on the root. Let the notes run into each other.

I only play with one drummer who plays the right feel, and when he's on the gig I could play it all night.[/quote]

It's funny, maybe I'm getting older and care less.. ;-) I used to hate people playing it too fast. I still do, but I've noticed the studio speed is usually a bit slower than the live, as the 'everyday' joe feels it's too slow, so the MD is saying play it faster, so they can dance in time :-) .. I'love it when it sits back.. I guess, just a muso... and I don't dance :-)

Or the classic quote, which, I'm glad a don't hear or haven't heard in a while '[color="#FF0000"]we rock this bit up[/color]', which is aka for I can't play this bit or can be brothered to practice it, so I just play loud over this bit and hopefully the audience won't know..

I like the challenge of new gigs or deps, you sweat alot, but after you've nailed them, it's great feeling. I had a funky function dep, and I hardly knew their tunes, so I practised my ar*e off, an fee great about as I've got more songs under my belt.. (not sure the gig fee weighs up the practice time, but it never has, unless it's regular band/tour etc)

That said, did function with a band I've played with for 2 years 2 weeks back its was nice not having to learn loads of tunes and just enjoy the gig

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo

Never let the Superstition riff be started by a gtr...
but if it is too fast, then these are the sort of players you don't want to let these songs near.

Always about the backbeat for me and needs the right drummer...but you hope you wouldn't be put on a gig with a pure rock drummer anyway.
I don't actually know what a pure rock drummer is...but you get the jist of my meaning... ha ha