Why become a member? ×

Anyone played a Sadowsky P Bass?

molan

I really love my Sadowsky Will Lee J bass and vaguely thought about looking out for a nice NYC P to go with it.

Had a look around a few places and the most common configuration for a Sadowsky P seems to have a J pickup as well.

I don't have anything against the PJ idea but quite fancied a simple traditional single P pickup.

So - just wondered if anyone had ever played one or knew much about them. Maybe there's something in the basic makeup of the classic Sadowsky sound that really needs that bridge pickup to make it sing?

i have a metro pj 5 with an alder body and rosewood fretboard. it is a little heavy (4,5kg) but perfectly balanced so i can play it a whole night without a problem.

this bass is very versatile. you have the p- and the j-pickup, both together and a lot of sounds between them. there is no effect of the j-pickup on the p-pickup if you blend it out. at least the magnetic effect is so subtle no one in a live situation would ever hear.

of course the bass sounds like a p-bass but compared to my old fenders and squiers it sounds much more modern. it sounds more open (due to the nordstrand-pu) and has a lot more sustain. even with the vtc it will never really sound like a true precision. so if i play with my old rock cover band i prefer the old fender 4-stringers over the sadowsky. with a pop/rock band i always use the sadowsky.

you can say the sadowsky p-basses are "fenders on steroids". if you wand the authentic p-sound go for a fender.

sandmann

[quote name='dougal' post='902821' date='Jul 23 2010, 09:05 AM']I got [b][i]such[/i][/b] bad GAS for an MS4.[/quote]

Me too!

I want a white MS4!! But i'd then order a black scratchplate with it so it had that alleva kinda vibe! Ive done the same with my sunbursth RS4 and its great! I like the extra space between the controls on the
MS / RS Models :)

yeah id like a Sadowsky too, or a nice Warwick. I even have one hundred of your english pounds to pay for either one. sigh...

Tell you what though, if i win the lottery i'll buy five to give away on here as competition prizes. Lets make a lottery syndicate pact. If any rergular forum member comes up rich, then he/she buys a stack of bass kit to give away via the forum. :)

[quote name='flychris' post='902408' date='Jul 22 2010, 10:59 PM']The PJ configuration is more usefull.

You just want the P, so cut the J ... that's so simple

But, if you've got the P, and only the P and you want a little the J, you're out ...
So why to have only the P when you can have the P and the J[/quote]

+1.

Single P Metros have been discontinued and they also have J necks, just in case you like the P bass necks better.

I love my PJ and I love the added versatility that the J pickup offers but if you want a real P tone you can always go passive and favor that P pickup.