Why become a member? ×

Slappers!

Marvin

Mark King and Flea aside, I don't really know any slappers.
I had a lesson last night and my teacher, to break the lesson up, introduced a bit of slap as I said I'd never tried. Although I didn't do very well it's something I'll keep having a go at as I quite enjoyed it.
So who are the well known slappers, just so I can listen and watch maybe.

Just a few players who've done some cool slap stuff.......

Marcus Miller,Stanley Clarke,Victor Wooten,Larry Graham,Louis Johnson,Dave LaRue,Adam Nitti,Bill Dickins,
Les Claypool,'Ready' Freddie Washington,T.M. Stevens,Stuart Hamm,Victor Bailey,John Patitucci,.......

Check out my youtube channel below, i've got a great live track of Prince's in my favourites, a great example of how slapbass doesn't have to be the central part of a song or arrangement. Youtube channel link in my signature :) (video is called jay leno 02")

Edited by JMT3781

[quote name='JMT3781' post='901115' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:01 PM']Check out my youtube channel below, i've got a great live track of Prince's in my favourites, a great example of how slapbass doesn't have to be the central part of a song or arrangement. Youtube channel link in my signature :) (video is called jay leno 02")[/quote]

Yeah Yolanda .....

I agree, a tastefully applied small amount of slap can add to a tune, too much can spoil it.
IMHO Mark King is in a different department totally as he is playing the instrument as tuned percussion.

That video is nice but really I think you just wanted us to read the latest comment on your channel:

" lodinsen (2 weeks ago) you're hot! "

:rolleyes:

Marvin, there are also 19 pages (and counting...) in the Funk and Groove thread with many examples of some fine slappy stuff. :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70165"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70165[/url]

[quote name='Doddy' post='901116' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:03 PM']Oooohhhh.....

How could I have forgotten to mention Alain Caron?[/quote]
May I suggest it is because that is what any sane person with intact genitalia and a love of music would have done?

Edited by silddx

Haha thats the missing dicking about lol

[quote name='OldGit' post='901153' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:50 PM']Yeah Yolanda .....

I agree, a tastefully applied small amount of slap can add to a tune, too much can spoil it.
IMHO Mark King is in a different department totally as he is playing the instrument as tuned percussion.

That video is nice but really I think you just wanted us to read the latest comment on your channel:

" lodinsen (2 weeks ago) you're hot! "

:)[/quote]

[quote name='Stingray5' post='901174' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:01 PM']Marvin, there are also 19 pages (and counting...) in the Funk and Groove thread with many examples of some fine slappy stuff. :)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70165"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70165[/url][/quote]

Ah, yes of course, I'll check it out as soon as I've come out of the dunces corner. Thanks :rolleyes:

Marvin, you could also look at Alexis Sclarevski and Stu Hamm Slap bass DVD's (probably on you tube), if you want to just check out some (IMHO) of the 2 best instructional videos. There's no substitute for 1:1 with your tutor of course, but to supplement dipping your toe in the slap bass pond (often murky) you could do worse.
John

[quote name='oldslapper' post='901197' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:24 PM']Marvin, you could also look at Alexis Sclarevski and Stu Hamm Slap bass DVD's (probably on you tube), if you want to just check out some (IMHO) of the 2 best instructional videos. There's no substitute for 1:1 with your tutor of course, but to supplement dipping your toe in the slap bass pond (often murky) you could do worse.
John[/quote]

Supplementing, between lessons would do no harm. As long as I remember not to get too distracted, as I can do. Cheers.

[quote name='oldslapper' post='901197' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:24 PM']Marvin, you could also look at Alexis Sclarevski and Stu Hamm Slap bass DVD's (probably on you tube), if you want to just check out some (IMHO) of the 2 best instructional videos. There's no substitute for 1:1 with your tutor of course, but to supplement dipping your toe in the slap bass pond (often murky) you could do worse.
John[/quote]

This DVD is the best one out there. Been around for years. Foolproof if you stick to each exercise. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='901153' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:50 PM']I agree, a tastefully applied small amount of slap can add to a tune, too much can spoil it.
IMHO Mark King is in a different department totally as he is playing the instrument as tuned percussion.[/quote]

Yes, he does have that skill, that's not all he does though, is his finger playing and musicality underestimated?

[quote name='silddx' post='901180' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:05 PM']May I suggest it is because that is what any sane person with intact genitalia and a love of music would have done?[/quote]

Not a fan then? :)

You may not like Caron's music,but for my money he has possibly the best slap technique anywhere.