Why become a member? ×

James Jamerson

risingson

my thread. yes, James Lee (Igor) Jamerson was the man. I saw the "standing in the shadow..." milion times already.
it strucks me each time. my fav bassline of his is "Whats happening brother". i think you can't go trickiest and funkiest than that (IMHO)
also check this link:
[url="http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html"]http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html[/url]

cheers!

Agreement with all the above with an enthusiastic +1 etc.

What I love about his playing is that they are actual bass lines, very little just playing the root etc, and, invariably, those lines are hummable. In addition their influence on the actual song was crucial, they made the sound and the song. I feel sure the timing for the orchestral stabs in Diana Ross's version of Aint No Mountain were initiated by the bass.

I used to practice to Jamerson's playing when I was young without knowing it was anyone in particular, just the quality of playing I aspired to.

I feel so sad he's not still around, like many I feel true affection for the man and yet all I know of him (apart from the stories in the film) is his playing. Certainly one of my biggest influences and playing I know I could never properly mimic. What I would have given to have shaken his hand.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='903064' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:19 PM']Just popped over from the Macca thread where I was also extolling Jamerson. Could this be a thread where everyone agree's on a great bassist (or have I just jinxed it) :)[/quote]
Animosity towards Jamerson doesn't exist in the same way animosity to McCartney does.

Nonetheless, no doubt, someone is thinking 'Motown? Jamerson? It's s**t'.

I, like many others, had never heard of JJ before i began playing bass. I heard so much about his playing, and having only a passing interest in Motown prior to this, i sat down on YouTube one saturday afternoon and began to learn.

His skill and ability is unsurpassed IMO, which makes what happened to him in the end all the more tragic. I think he is the master and i've learned so much from videos of people playing his songs - as well as getting into motown in a massive way.

Legend

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='903075' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:24 PM']Nonetheless, no doubt, someone is thinking 'Motown? Jamerson? It's s**t'.[/quote]

[quote name='purpleblob' post='903086' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:31 PM']No doubt :)[/quote]

+1 :rolleyes:

I would like to think that no one would be daft enough to think Jamerson was anything less than a master. I get why people wouldn't like the music (although that seems equally difficult to comprehend), but to deny his ability and skill is mental. As it happens, this thread seems to have gone in a really positive way, which I'm delighted about :)

When there's a thread in praise of a player or genre that I don't like or in which I am not interested, I generally don't bother posting to disagree with the general sentiment. There's no real point, as it's all just a matter of taste and opinion, and I've seen too many threads descend into pointless name-calling and bad feeling just because people like different things.

However, when people start to take the absence of any dissent as a sign that the player or genre in question is unversally held in high esteem, it is perhaps worth reminding people that other points of view exist. I do understand that many people here find it surprising that a bassist could fail to rave over JJ's playing, but then again I was genuinely surprised, when I first came to this site some years ago, to find that Motown was taken even slightly seriously by people calling themselves musicians. I think that just shows how we can all get used to talking to people we agree with, and quietly forget that there are a lot of other people out there that think differently. I can't honestly say that I [b]don't[/b] rate JJ as a player, it's more that I've never really listened to him because I have no time at all for the kind of music he played. I don't think that makes me 'daft', just someone with a different opinion and different tastes.

I think it just goes to show what a diverse bunch we are, with very diverse tastes, which is somehing we should probably celebrate rather than fight over.

Just my 2p.

OK, back to the JJ lurve-fest. :)

Have a dig about here, lots of JJ info and lots of isolated and semi-isolated tracks. Really interesting stuff.

[url="http://www.ricksuchow.com"]http://www.ricksuchow.com[/url]

The password for the tracks is well known but I don't think it hurts to send a request to Rick with a compliment or two to keep him encouraged in his excellent site. If you really want it now pm me, but its also in another posting in these pages.

[quote name='nick' post='899373' date='Jul 19 2010, 08:35 PM']Though Jamerson is synonymous with Motown bass; Bob Babbitt, Tony Newton, Wilton Felder etc... are also worth checking out.[/quote]

All good, all different. Babbitt was more 'perfect' in his accurate repetition throughout the song, Newton was rather more whacky and, in my opinion - although I've not heard much of his playing knowingly - less groovy than Babbitt (check out the difference between the US (Newton) and UK (Babbitt) versions of tears of a Clown) and Felder is great, plays with a pick, excellent timing, like Jamerson. There's no ranking of who's best of these guys, they are different.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='905806' date='Jul 26 2010, 01:46 PM']...
However, when people start to take the absence of any dissent as a sign that the player or genre in question is unversally held in high esteem, it is perhaps worth reminding people that other points of view exist.
...[/quote]

Fair point :)

[quote name='Earbrass' post='905806' date='Jul 26 2010, 01:46 PM']When there's a thread in praise of a player or genre that I don't like or in which I am not interested, I generally don't bother posting to disagree with the general sentiment. There's no real point, as it's all just a matter of taste and opinion, and I've seen too many threads descend into pointless name-calling and bad feeling just because people like different things.

However, when people start to take the absence of any dissent as a sign that the player or genre in question is unversally held in high esteem, it is perhaps worth reminding people that other points of view exist. I do understand that many people here find it surprising that a bassist could fail to rave over JJ's playing, but then again I was genuinely surprised, when I first came to this site some years ago, to find that Motown was taken even slightly seriously by people calling themselves musicians. I think that just shows how we can all get used to talking to people we agree with, and quietly forget that there are a lot of other people out there that think differently. I can't honestly say that I [b]don't[/b] rate JJ as a player, it's more that I've never really listened to him because I have no time at all for the kind of music he played. I don't think that makes me 'daft', just someone with a different opinion and different tastes.

I think it just goes to show what a diverse bunch we are, with very diverse tastes, which is somehing we should probably celebrate rather than fight over.

Just my 2p.

OK, back to the JJ lurve-fest. :)[/quote]

OK,so you couldn't resist but to give some bug...that's OK, I was saying that - (whether you've taken my previous post as something which "iritated" you or not) - I think that anyone who carefully or overtime listened to Jamerson playing,and knowing things or two about music and circumstances back then - and even today, being a bass player, hardly would dare to say that Jamerson is anything less but a true Master and Genious of bass playing (maybe such titles hurts someone's taste or eyes,but you know what I meant). and I think about all walk of styles,genres etc....

[quote name='dr1' post='900922' date='Jul 21 2010, 01:20 PM']my thread. yes, James Lee (Igor) Jamerson was the man. I saw the "standing in the shadow..." milion times already.
it strucks me each time. my fav bassline of his is "Whats happening brother". i think you can't go trickiest and funkiest than that (IMHO)
also check this link:
[url="http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html"]http://www.bassland.net/jamerson.html[/url]

cheers![/quote]
Thanks! Amazing site....