Why become a member? ×

Neo tone??? Now proved to be no such thing!

bobpalt

[quote name='redstriper' post='903476' date='Jul 23 2010, 01:45 PM']He did not say anything about the cab AFAIK - he said "blasted low/mid sound that all neodymium speakers have".
That statement is simply wrong, it may have prompted a pontless change of driver and certainly would put anybody off neo drivers.
It's the kind of blanket BS that gives sound engineers a bad name and if it wasn't for this forum the OP would still believe it.[/quote]+1, and since the majority of high end pro-touring PA cabs have been loaded with neo drivers for over a decade now it's hardly an understandable gaffe.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='903593' date='Jul 23 2010, 09:42 PM']+1, and since the majority of high end pro-touring PA cabs have been loaded with neo drivers for over a decade now it's hardly an understandable gaffe.[/quote]

And I'm sure the band in question are using neo-loaded Turbosound arrays every week down at the Bakers Arms in Tewkesbury :) I really can't believe how much people are slagging off an engineer they've never worked with just because of one mistaken diagnosis when the important bit of his job, ie the ears, have not been called into question.

When I heard early incarnations of neo drivers that were available in the UK they very much had a characteristic sound. For reasons that have been outlined on this thread by others. Just because this wasn't inherent to neo per se but reflected particular design choices, doesn't mean it's not real. Plus as Bill well knows, bass cabs are a total black box in comparison to PA cabs spec-wise. Pretty easy to spot a pattern but ascribe it to something spurious I think.