Why become a member? ×

So, what smaller/lighter cabs can do the same as a Mesa 1516EV?

Beedster

[quote name='machinehead' post='899916' date='Jul 20 2010, 12:48 PM']I would agree.

But I'm afraid of becoming the BBBBB; Basschat Barefaced Bass Boring B****rd. :)

Frank[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it. Nobody is going to buy on the basis of what people say here unless they research the item/items, if they have any sense.
If they use the search they will be finding many plus comments and a good few minus ones on a variety of gear not least this make.

[quote name='Beedster' post='898773' date='Jul 19 2010, 11:50 AM']The other option of course is getting a custom 1x10/2x6 built to sit on top of a standard 15?[/quote]

This is very unlikely to work the same without some serious maths going into a crossover, can't cram the same signal into all the drivers and have it work right. The Barefaced stacks are probably going to be closest.

[quote name='lowfer' post='901880' date='Jul 22 2010, 01:47 PM']what about an SWR Triad, 15 - 10 and tweeter coming in at 8o lbs or an Accugroove El Whappo 15 - 12 and 2 tweeters comining in at 40kg, I haven't played either so can't comment on the sound[/quote]

The El Whappo - and what a great name - would do the job if it weighed a little less, but there's not much between it and the Mesa in terms of weight, and I think the EW is deeper, probably making it harder to move.

I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that if I want a big hifi bass cab, it's going to be big! Might by another and run my hifi through it!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lowfer' post='901880' date='Jul 22 2010, 01:47 PM']what about an SWR Triad, 15 - 10 and tweeter coming in at 8o lbs or an Accugroove El Whappo 15 - 12 and 2 tweeters comining in at 40kg, I haven't played either so can't comment on the sound[/quote]
I'd give the Triad a try Chris; it's about half the weight of the Mesa..I still have mine and I love it!

My Schroeder 12+L weighs about 23 lbs. (10 Kg.). He makes a lot of lightweight cabs. Mine has amazing tone and I can push it pretty hard.

[url="http://www.schroedercabinets.com/mini12+.htm"]http://www.schroedercabinets.com/mini12+.htm[/url]

tg

Surely it would be possible to replicate the cab you have. Have you opened it? If there are several seperate sections - all of these could be seperate boxes. You could use neo drivers instead too? It could be worth trying to replicate the same design but in a more maneuverable package.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='919502' date='Aug 9 2010, 12:31 PM']Surely it would be possible to replicate the cab you have. Have you opened it? If there are several seperate sections - all of these could be seperate boxes. You could use neo drivers instead too? It could be worth trying to replicate the same design but in a more maneuverable package.[/quote]

Neo drivers inevitably have different specs (there was a discussion about them not having a different sound, but as an aside, fact is they are all made with different specification, because the magnet improvement allows it). So the box would have to be made appropriate.

Please keep the Boogie cab, Chris. The world needs heroes and role models and while you're out there moving stupid amounts of are with your monster cab, it gives the rest of us something to aspire to, something to dream about, to regard with awe!

and, get two more for your hi-fi anyway!

:)

I would seriously love a 1516 and a 400+ to drive it!

[quote name='Sean' post='920613' date='Aug 10 2010, 01:15 PM']Please keep the Boogie cab, Chris. The world needs heroes and role models and while you're out there moving stupid amounts of are with your monster cab, it gives the rest of us something to aspire to, something to dream about, to regard with awe!

and, get two more for your hi-fi anyway!

:)

I would seriously love a 1516 and a 400+ to drive it![/quote]

LOL, haven't laughed that much for ages, and you know what, I'm keeping it, and for two reasons:

1. To give Sean something to believe in
2. Because (and I know it's grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with 'because') it's about time I realised that if you've got a good thing, it's often at a slight cost. If there's one process that's characterised my bass playing career it's the following:
[list]
[*]Buy a pice of kit
[*]Decide I love it but there's one little thing that could be better
[*]Sell it and find another piece of kit that supposedly does it better
[*]Find out that the first bit of kit was better after all
[*]Buy back the first bit of kit, usually incurring a substantial financial loss in the process
[/list]

That's how I went from Fender Precision to Fender Precision in five years and probably about five grand! As I said to Happy Jack this morning, this thing weighs a ton, but it saves on a gym membership. Everyone who's heard it has loved the tone, there's just something magical about it, and I'm pretty sure that if anything else did the same job, someone who'd owned both would have piped up by now!

So, on the basis that nothing else is going to do the trick, and to save me selling it, buying ten cabs over the next two years, and then buying this baby back at double what I sold it for, it's staying! Thanks for the input above guys

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='921498' date='Aug 11 2010, 12:30 PM']2. Because (and I know it's grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with 'because')[/quote]

Which reminds me of the language law a friend of mine once told me: "With' is a really bad word to start or end a sentence with".

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='921498' date='Aug 11 2010, 12:30 PM']2. Because (and I know it's grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with 'because') it's about time I realised that if you've got a good thing, it's often at a slight cost. If there's one process that's characterised my bass playing career it's the following:
[list]
[*]Buy a pice of kit
[*]Buy back the first bit of kit, usually incurring a substantial financial loss in the process
[/list][/quote]

Wise words. I have been there and done that. Never bought back my exact gear from the person I sold it to, just gone straight to the store and spent yet more cash!

[quote name='Beedster' post='922104' date='Aug 11 2010, 10:47 PM']Thought you'd like that mate
C
PS just realised I didn't follow through on sponsoring you on your epic journey, is it still do-able?[/quote]
Hi Chris,

I did! And yes it is possible still ; just go here:

[url="http://www.enablemeproject.org.uk/southsdownspush.htm"]http://www.enablemeproject.org.uk/southsdownspush.htm[/url]

and click on the Just Giving link/button. It was an amazing trek I have to say..have just about hit the £5k mark now...

Hope all's well with you and many thanks for the offer of a donation..

Nik

(and to think you found that Hughes & Kettner 410 cab I sold you heavy... :) )

[quote name='Beedster' post='921498' date='Aug 11 2010, 12:30 PM']LOL, haven't laughed that much for ages, and you know what, I'm keeping it, and for two reasons:

1. To give Sean something to believe in
2. Because (and I know it's grammatically incorrect to start a sentence with 'because') it's about time I realised that if you've got a good thing, it's often at a slight cost. If there's one process that's characterised my bass playing career it's the following:
[list]
[*]Buy a pice of kit
[/list]

That's how I went from Fender Precision to Fender Precision in five years and probably about five grand! As I said to Happy Jack this morning, this thing weighs a ton, but it saves on a gym membership. Everyone who's heard it has loved the tone, there's just something magical about it, and I'm pretty sure that if anything else did the same job, someone who'd owned both would have piped up by now!

So, on the basis that nothing else is going to do the trick, and to save me selling it, buying ten cabs over the next two years, and then buying this baby back at double what I sold it for, it's staying! Thanks for the input above guys

C[/quote]

Fantastic, Chris! I think you should commission some company to make action figures of you and a P and your Boogie rig! Maybe Marvel could dream up a new superhero based on you and he could have special low frequecy superpowers :wub: :)

I think a lot of us have gone through this process and a lot of us still are going through it and will never realise that we are in this cycle. I'm really happy with my gear at the moment - I've gigged the same bass and amp since February and never thought once that they weren't perfect for me and what I do whereas before I used to be nickpicking all the time. A big chunk of this satisfaction I think comes from the fact that I've been happier with my playing this year too, more confidence, improved skills etc just from making a point of upping my woodshedding time and approaching it differently too. Before I get too philosophical...

...I have to agree that there is something magical about big Boogie stuff - I'm a huge fanboy!

No recommendations for ACME? My two LOW-B2s move quite a bit of air with sufficient power - and let's face it, with Peavey IPR 1600 costing £350 now is the golden age of low sensitivity, high fidelity designs - and the hifiness is absolutely there. Not Genelec studio monitor (which I also had, and A/B'ed) precise, perhaps, but then, is the rest of your signal chain up to being reproduced by Genelecs?

There are other similar designs, ACME was what was available when I bought my big rig.

Caveat: some amps will sound like mud through ACMEs.

[quote name='nobody's prefect' post='926246' date='Aug 16 2010, 10:50 AM']No recommendations for ACME? My two LOW-B2s move quite a bit of air with sufficient power - and let's face it, with Peavey IPR 1600 costing £350 now is the golden age of low sensitivity, high fidelity designs - and the hifiness is absolutely there. Not Genelec studio monitor (which I also had, and A/B'ed) precise, perhaps, but then, is the rest of your signal chain up to being reproduced by Genelecs?

There are other similar designs, ACME was what was available when I bought my big rig.

Caveat: some amps will sound like mud through ACMEs.[/quote]
I think Alex Claber used to own a couple of their 210's IIRC...he always rated them very highly!