Why become a member? ×

Tour Bus/Tour stories

ianSB

One time sessioning for a christian rock band I played a sunday morning church service, had a lovely sunday lunch cooked for us at the vicars and we ate seconds of everything, we were SO FULL. Short trip onwards to the evening gig (methodist church in newquay.. if my memory is correct) and we arrived in good time.. to a fully cooked sunday lunch! Nightmare! Small portions this time.

Oh where do I begin. OK, France. Playing at a big Festival in Belfort, France.

This is our crew at Farnborough Station about to embark on the trip to France. From left to right. Dave who became Denise some years later. John the drummer, Sid the guitarist, me the bassist, tall Matt the roadie, Pete the manager, Steve the singer and chief football holder and Rich the roadie who later died. When we arrived at Dover, we met the English National Female Netball team who took an interest in us playing football in the carpark waiting to board the ferry. Being female, we thought that clearly they had no idea about balls and football and challenged them to a game of football and netball and the winner had to forfit something. I think they had to snog us or something like that. Anyway, netball started badly. I think we got the ball once but only after Sid jumped on one of them. Not sure he was going for the ball. We felt confident that we would get them back and win the football challenge. Alas, they were good with all balls it seemed and thrashed us at football. Not sure what we had to do as our forfit but it was probably embaressing or painful :)

On the way to France. Already very drunk and having already had a fight with the band we were sharing the coach with. You see, we were a noisy punk band that got very drunk and would get up to the usual male antics like taking all our clothes off, doing moonies, singing etc. The other band was a sensible Jazz band full of muso's who could not tolerate us rock and roll types. We ended sitting at the front of the coach and they sat at the back as they thought they were more important. So to try and smooth things over and show we were friendly, we chatted up the two girls in the band at the annoyance of the male members of the band. By the end of the trip, one had left the band and the other was thinking about going solo. We called it a public service :rolleyes:

Our next target were the Spanish. This guy was from a traditional Spanish band and we had to share a massive hall with them and lots of other band for lunch that was put on for all the bands. Now, this Spanish band were being very noisy and Spanish so we accidently threw a bread roll at them across the hall. The problem was they didn't see us do it. So we did it again, and again, and again until we managed to create a massive food fight, eventually getting thrown out of the hall by the French. To be honest, we all had a laugh about it after and got on ok with the Spanish guys.

Next we met these lovely ladies who our manager and roadie fell for. No idea where they came from but they were lovely, especially the girl on the right.

We then met these Croatians who we decided to annoy by following them everywhere they went. It kind of worked as it ended in a big chase around Belfort but they were pretty cool in the end and very friendly. One of then decided we were his best friend and decided to keep buying us things like beer and writing us notes. It got a little scary.

Portugal were next on our hit list but they were having non of it and decided to be friend us. Not sure if it was our English accents but all they wanted to do was sing Oasis songs with us. I'm not saying we said we were Oasis but it might had slipped out in conversation :lol:

Next our Jazz band friends decided to perform so our roadie decided to kind of stage invade them and run across their set. Again, another fight ensued soon after :lol:

This is the stage we played on to about 7,000 French people who seemed to like us. Again, this annoyed our Jazz band friends, especially when the two girls in the band were hanging around with us now and not their own band :lol:

Me on stage during the gig.

Our guitarist the morning after the gig. I don't think he realised how cheap beer is in France. Plus he met two French girls and was never seen again until the morning. Good lad.

We also found an Irish pub and spent a few hours there but it was a bit odd, maybe a gay biker pub. These hairy men kept trying to talk to us. Then our friends who were also playing at the Festival got chased by a French gang with knives and had some kind of incident with French Police.

Edited by Linus27

We did a gig at Oxford Football club so our singer, who as I mentioned above was chief football holder, broke into the grounds and had a kick about on the pitch. He then got chased off by the security guards. Thankfully they never caught him or ball and he remained cheif football holder :)

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Marky L' post='895313' date='Jul 15 2010, 07:57 AM']Surely, what goes on tour stays on tour???? You never know who could be reading this![/quote]
Precisely!!! The Statute of Limitations probably hasn't run out on some of the stuff that I've done in the past.......and the Wife sometimes reads this over my shoulder. :)

:rolleyes:

My worst one would be the time we rolled a minibus down the side of a mountain. The worst injury was a bump on the head but the van was written off, and the interior completely redecorated with beer and pizza which thankfully the insurance people didn't know about. Our singer had been running down road signs and chasing rabbits through frozen ploughed fields just prior to our "off".

Oh and there was the time I lost consciousness for about two days. I wouldn't want to call it a coma because that makes it sound more dramatic than it really was, although to be fair I was unconscious so I suppose I wouldn't have appreciated the drama would I. When I came to, the whole band was sitting around me. I said "What time is it?", they said "8pm", I said "What day is it?", they said "Saturday". I said "Is anyone going to the pub?".