Why become a member? ×

My New Preamp

tayste_2000

Since no one wants to take my beautiful Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 off me I decided to expand the rig and picked this up

So this 9 tube preamp will be paired with my Strategy 400 and Alembic F-1X Preamp, not quite sure how I'm going to hook it up, likely an A/B/Y box between the Alembic and Trace with the Trace output going to the Alembic FX Return.

Either way I'm sure it will be fun and I'm picking up an 8u rockking rack to house it all in, this time not shockmounted as that was just excessive last time.

Very excited to get this, especially with my GT200 coming soon as well.

Edited by tayste_2000

[quote name='MythSte' post='883515' date='Jul 1 2010, 10:51 PM']Is the saturation meter the same one they used in the all valve V series heads? If so, isnt it cool! heh.[/quote]

Yeah changes to red and such.

I should have this by the end of next week hopefully

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='882902' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:38 PM']So this 9 tube preamp will be paired with my Strategy 400 and Alembic F-1X Preamp, not quite sure how I'm going to hook it up, likely an A/B/Y box between the Alembic and Trace with the Trace output going to the Alembic FX Return.[/quote]

Wow! I bet that will sound earthquakingly huge!

I've no idea what a saturation meter tells you, but it's sounds extremely cool.

Can't wait to hear how you get on with this.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='883589' date='Jul 2 2010, 12:38 AM']ah cool man, you managed to find one then.

I'd be very interested in hearing how this sounds - The TVT9 is a phenomenal preamp. I used the Trace combo with this preamp for the top end of my 12ver[/quote]

Yep these are very nice Guitar preamps I used to use one with my strat to do my blues thing, you can do a Peter Green impression pretty well. Trace did a valve power amp to use with these, but I have never seen one.
I now use a Laney Lionheart 20 watt Class A parallell open ended Valve head. Forget all your boutique stuff these Laneys are awesome best £400 I have ever spent, magic warm creamy valve sounds with a amazing dynamic range and none of that horrid middle fizz you get with most modern valve amps, it sounds a lot like Mr. Greens Matamps. I only changed to the Laney cos I wanted a very simple clear all valve signal path.

Check out the Cub 8 10 12 and head for £170 -210 also simple signal path A/B all valve practice /studio amps. Laney have really upped the game with this stufff

Ahh Ste'!! Nice one! You got it then!! Excellent! - Sorry I had to cut short the MSN convo t'other night. Glad you bagged this baby! Lookin' forward to hearing some reviews when you have it all 'plumbed in'!

(Can I put anymore exclaimation marks in??)

Man when I get this I think I need to hit you up for lessons so I can shred on it all guitary style :)

Saw you looking at that Digitech, for a bit extra I would get the Line 6 M9's floating around and use them as midi controllers, loopers and fx processors

Cheers

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='884137' date='Jul 2 2010, 04:49 PM']Man when I get this I think I need to hit you up for lessons so I can shred on it all guitary style :)

Saw you looking at that Digitech, for a bit extra I would get the Line 6 M9's floating around and use them as midi controllers, loopers and fx processors

Cheers[/quote]

YES! - Sounds good to me! I've got a few Petrucci Vs Gilbert style licks that I use for warm ups that I have been promisingto get recorded as a video lesson. They're defintely on the TO DO list- but as is also getting a camera to do them with!!

Yeah, I like the look of the Digitech and the M9 is still of interest. Does it loop in stereo? (i.e. record stereo loops?) I also like the JamMan's abilityto be able to load external loops - so I could drop in a real breakbeat, like the awesome 'Amen Break' - that will give me access to a million different songs that use it for a kinda live 'mashup'.

My first loop I have created is almost of epic proportions - but i'm going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic and thus I will get back to your Pre!

So - first few days of ownership, did you get it al plumbed in with the Alembic?

[quote name='dood' post='886204' date='Jul 5 2010, 12:13 PM']Yeah, I like the look of the Digitech and the M9 is still of interest. Does it loop in stereo? (i.e. record stereo loops?) I also like the JamMan's abilityto be able to load external loops - so I could drop in a real breakbeat, like the awesome 'Amen Break' - that will give me access to a million different songs that use it for a kinda live 'mashup'.[/quote]

Yeah stereo.

Not got the pre yet, will be this week.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='886215' date='Jul 5 2010, 12:34 PM']Yeah stereo.

Not got the pre yet, will be this week.[/quote]

Sweet - will check it out a bit closer then! Shame they didnt think to put the looper on the X3 Live!!!!

It took Dave Lunt all of 10 minutes to set it to 230v the man is a genius.

So cranked this up last night with my Mesa Strategy 400w all Tube Poweramp and my Matamp 8x10, it was just the most beautiful tone I'd heard in a long time, plenty of bass available on the clean channel and its gritty but nice light tube amp grit.

Channel 2 is just insane, the sustain, the drive the harmonic content this is by far the best distortion I've head for lead bass, certainly better than any pedal I've tried. It's a different drive to that of a cranked Matamp GT200, more guitary and lead based but still with a solid low end.

The output cranked drives my Strategy perfectly to all 6 input lights.

Couldn't be happier, it really nailed the tone I had in my head and goes down low enough for my low a to ring through as well.

When I'm next at Matamp I'm going to get my 4x10 and 2x12 rewired so I can switch them from mono to stereo so I can use the Strategy with everything.

Can't wait to get this racked up this weekend and get gigging it.

Now to find a footswitch