• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some of my basses

jakenewmanbass

My 1880 and '78 jazz having a rest at Air studios
[attachment=3854:Mobile_204.jpg]

the control room
[attachment=3855:Mobile_208.jpg]

another rest for the bass, the desk in the background was used by the beatles at Abbey road, then me!
[attachment=3856:Mobile_223.jpg]

My Alembic (and a corner of the polytone)
[attachment=3857:Mobile_239.jpg]

Edited by jakesbass

I think you easily win the poshest gig award, and probably the tastiest gear - but tell me, how does the Polytone stand up in all this? I haven't seen one in years. I liked them (years ago, before GK combos arrived) but its so long since I saw or heard one...its got me thinking?

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='97148' date='Dec 1 2007, 11:15 AM']I think you easily win the poshest gig award, and probably the tastiest gear - but tell me, how does the Polytone stand up in all this? I haven't seen one in years. I liked them (years ago, before GK combos arrived) but its so long since I saw or heard one...its got me thinking?

BB[/quote]

It does lack a little in medium to large spaces, but it has a nice tone, especially for the Double with the Alembic pre amp. otherwise I go pre amp into the PA and use wedges for monitoring. although I'm after a QSC to power the Goliath and a 15 cab I have
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but you might just be the first bass player I ever saw play live in the flesh so to speak. I would have been about fifteen ish and it was at the witchwood (underage drinking!!). Muffin men show with Andy Treacey (sic) on kit. I hadn't been exposed to Zappa's music before that night. Had a big impact on me that did. Thanks.

All the best Jake.

Darryll

[quote name='DarryllMGmanchester' post='97258' date='Dec 1 2007, 04:09 PM']Forgive me if I'm mistaken but you might just be the first bass player I ever saw play live in the flesh so to speak. I would have been about fifteen ish and it was at the witchwood (underage drinking!!). Muffin men show with Andy Treacey (sic) on kit. I hadn't been exposed to Zappa's music before that night. Had a big impact on me that did. Thanks.

All the best Jake.

Darryll[/quote]

You sir are more than welcome, its very pleasing to know that it had a positive effect. It was a great band, we toured Europe later that year joined by Ike Willis (Zappa lead vocalist of 12 years) and myself and Andy went on to play with Robert (Bobby) Martin another of the Zappa Alumni. I have very fond memories of that time.
Jake

Have you used the Alembic preamp through the GoliathII? I use to use an F2B/ Stereo800 pwr /GoliathII setup and it had absolutely no mids, without some serious bass cut! I ended up using an SWR 220 instead, just so I could hear which note I was playing.

I learned that some fantstic bits of kit don't always complement each other...

BB

• 2 years later...

A quick update as I'm back recording some nice project stuff at the mo (it's been a while since I took my camera on a session)
This is the live room at Strongroom in Shoreditch, great facility.
I was recording an acoustic track with Yamit Mamo, Lee turner guitar and Abi and Stac (otherwise known as 'The Good Stuff) on BVs
It's an 'in position' shot of the bass and a very tasty 60s Neumann mic.
The session was the first of many and will end up as an album with some great players on.
[attachment=41789:P1000396.JPG]

Here's a shot of the desk and them listening to the rhythm track we had just done,
[attachment=41790:P1000398.JPG]

The bass, work done, having a rest by the piano,
[attachment=41791:P1000397.jpg]

I'll update as we go along cos there'll be some nice sessions in some great studios and my Alembic will feature later too.

Every now and again I think to myself I will sell that bass, it's a German 1880 blockless wonder... then I go and use it in the studio and it just records soooo well. I'll get some clips up asap (but that will be a while)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='734750' date='Feb 4 2010, 08:53 AM']"blockless wonder" ?

Andy[/quote]
Hi Andy,
yes a blockless wonder, just what I've been told it is. I think (but can't be sure) that it's something to do with the neck construction.... having no block...!?!
Somebody here might have more info than me.
All I know is that it's a bit on the quiet side and can be hard to amplify but with a good mic in front of it it has a really beautiful massive, fat, deep, dark, woody, growly, vibrating tone. :)
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

• 3 weeks later...

Had to add these 2 pics, my latest foray into the studio, back in the wonderful AIR studios, Studio 1 a fabulous modular live room the drums and percussion set up behind the wall in the distance in photo 2. Photo 1 is my little station with my Alembic the amp and the schroeder are in the cupboard behind, I have a talkback mike too as I'm producing/band leading this project.
[attachment=43179:P1000404.JPG]

This pic is looking into the control room so the image you see is a reflection of the live room in the control room glass. In this pic you can see a 1950s Bosendorfer grand and a similar aged Hammond organ, both used on our sessions by the wonderful Mike Gorman both those instruments came from the original AIR studio that was founded by George Martin in Oxford St
[attachment=43180:P1000402.JPG]

Edited by jakesbass

• 2 months later...

Back in the studio, this Time Unity in Willesden.
We were doing a live recording which was filmed and will be available on Spotify in the near future as part of a new thing they are doing. Everything was done live in straight takes, no overdubs...

Bass and keys corner
[attachment=50149:IMG_0114.JPG]
Rear view of my bass and into the control room via Mike and Yamit (keys and vocals)
[attachment=50150:IMG_0111.jpg]
The Drummer with a lovely kit
[attachment=50151:P1000573.JPG]
And the kit...
[attachment=50155:P1000567.jpg]

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='842617' date='May 19 2010, 10:25 PM']Back in the studio, this Time Unity in Willesden.
We were doing a live recording which will be available on Spotify in the near future.
Bass and keys corner
[attachment=50149:IMG_0114.JPG][/quote]

two, count them [i]two[/i] gas cookers :)

[quote name='ahpook' post='842621' date='May 19 2010, 10:28 PM']two, count them [i]two[/i] gas cookers :)[/quote]
he he, I used the bottom one cos the top one was a bit too blue for me :rolleyes:
Phenomenal things they are though... made the Alembic sound massive.
It's Al Stone engineering. He likes to hear the bass :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by jakesbass