Why become a member? ×

Western Union Transfers

merello

No way to scam if you are getting the money from WU, don't send it till you have the cash in hand, and they can't take it back. The scams go the other way.

Edit: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89792"]previous link[/url]

Do they have a good reason for using WU? Beats giving them your bank details, make sure they know you aren't going to rush to send before money is in your hand.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Paul

Be very careful of Gumtree scammers as I had a couple of dodgy characters recently. If you have to ask the question, I`d walk away man. You can send the e mail you got (assuming that`s what happened) to Gumtree admin and they can advise you, and they get back in touch quickly.

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='877777' date='Jun 25 2010, 09:20 PM']Paul

Be very careful of Gumtree scammers as I had a couple of dodgy characters recently. If you have to ask the question, I`d walk away man. You can send the e mail you got (assuming that`s what happened) to Gumtree admin and they can advise you, and they get back in touch quickly.

Jez[/quote]
He phoned me and said he'd send the money WU first. Now - how can I lose if I go to an office and walk out with the readies? Is it too simple? The WU site says you send the money and get no protection if the sale goes wrong, so I'm sitting here thinking how can I lose? The worst that happens is I don't get the dosh and the geetar does not get sent to London?

Gumtree is like any other selling medium. Some bad sellers in there, but most are okay. I got a wonderful Fender Custom Shop Nocaster Relic with both cases last July for....... £750!!!!!!!! Probably the best sounding and playing Tele I have ever played. I took the neck off when I got it and e-mailed Fender to verify everything - all OK and the spec for the serial number was exact. Also, the instrument had only been made by the Custom Shop about 10 months prior to me buying it.

Amazing deal!!

[quote name='merello' post='877825' date='Jun 25 2010, 10:17 PM']He phoned me and said he'd send the money WU first.[/quote]

Then its fine! .... I've sent money via WU before (to family members!), it works fine - when it does not work fine is when
you are *sending* to an unknown, because you have no real come-back. However, in this case the purchaser is sending
you the greenbacks so you *will* receive cash in hand so they are trusting you !

The only thing to watch for with WU in my prior experience is any collection charges for the money - if there are any
(I suspect there may be), then factor this into the sale price!

Best of luck.

Edited by aonindy

Seriously though, how out of touch are you if your only option is to use WU in this country?

Presumably they have access to a computer if they can get on Gumtree, therefore they have access to PayPal and/or bank transfer. And if you are a bit out of touch there are cheques, even bloody postal orders.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='877828' date='Jun 25 2010, 10:18 PM']Don't use Gumtree full stop![/quote]

some idiots some nice guys.
I bought my 1991 warwick stage 1 for £400, ill put up with some idiots if i get a deal like that.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='877893' date='Jun 26 2010, 01:20 AM']Seriously though, how out of touch are you if your only option is to use WU in this country?

Presumably they have access to a computer if they can get on Gumtree, therefore they have access to PayPal and/or bank transfer. And if you are a bit out of touch there are cheques, even bloody postal orders.[/quote]
I've had my PayPal account hacked before and unless it is on here is a bank transfer not more dodgy as direct debits can be set up?

I had a payment from wu for a guitar recently, worked fine, you get cash in hand. Only problem I had was finding a WU agent, cash generators are agents, I had to locate three locally before i got paid, with ptoblems like, 'the machine is down' and 'only the manager can do this, and hes out until 4'.

if you're receiving the money WU transfer is not a problem. The problem is on buyer's side who's sending you money without the slightest chance to have them back if you're a scammer (which of course you aren't but he does not know :) )