Why become a member? ×

Guitar Parts Resource terrible experience

DaveMuadDib

Well, this has SERIOUSLY annoyed me, as Guitar Parts Resource are a company I'd previously heard nothing but good things about.

So I ordered some shielding foil from them a couple of months back. A great deal of the stuff, likely enough for a good 3-4 basses, if not more. I waited patiently as it was coming from America to the UK. A couple of months passed, and it was nowhere to be seen, so clearly something must have gone wrong. So I dropped them a friendly email saying I hadn't received the item yet, and if they had any clues or knew anything about it. I even copied and pasted everything from the paypal page including the transaction ID so they knew exactly what I was talking about. Their response was one micro-sentence, simply stating that they "couldn't even look up something" that old. And [i]that was it[/i]. Not even the slightest attempt to help, apologise, sympathise or even offer a single dollar off of a re-purchase. They didn't have the courtesy to address me or sign a name at the end - nothing. Just an absolutely rude message of "tough". They haven't even replied to my follow-up. And because I waited more than 45 days for it to arrive, PayPal can't do anything. So I've basically given these guys money for nothing. Hope they're happy.

Really, I'm sorry to hear that. I've ordered twice from them, easily over a 100 quid worth of stuff in total and the shipping was great, they even fudged the import value so it was under the limit. I have to say I'm surprised, but that's really a shame to hear, I suppose every company eventually lets something slip.

Just out of curiosity, why did you wait over 45 days? Even standard slow mail takes only 14 days to ship.

Also, probably a silly question, but have you tried calling them?

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='874069' date='Jun 21 2010, 09:33 PM']Well, this has SERIOUSLY annoyed me, as Guitar Parts Resource are a company I'd previously heard nothing but good things about.

So I ordered some shielding foil from them a couple of months back. A great deal of the stuff, likely enough for a good 3-4 basses, if not more. I waited patiently as it was coming from America to the UK. A couple of months passed, and it was nowhere to be seen, so clearly something must have gone wrong. So I dropped them a friendly email saying I hadn't received the item yet, and if they had any clues or knew anything about it. I even copied and pasted everything from the paypal page including the transaction ID so they knew exactly what I was talking about. Their response was one micro-sentence, simply stating that they "couldn't even look up something" that old. And [i]that was it[/i]. Not even the slightest attempt to help, apologise, sympathise or even offer a single dollar off of a re-purchase. They didn't have the courtesy to address me or sign a name at the end - nothing. Just an absolutely rude message of "tough". They haven't even replied to my follow-up. And because I waited more than 45 days for it to arrive, PayPal can't do anything. So I've basically given these guys money for nothing. Hope they're happy.[/quote]

They owe you what you paid for and you can prove it. That foil is yours.

Please write them a professional letter which includes the date and time of the terse (non)response you received from someone who was either having a bad day or just doesn't like their job.

Guitar Parts Resource LLC
12456 Lancaster Street NE
PO BOX 266
Millersport, OH 43046

Phone: 740-467-2823
Fax: 740-467-3245

[email protected]

And after you've written your letter...

[url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/feedback.htm"]http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/feedback.htm[/url]

I won't wish you luck since situations like these call for tenacity.

BTW. Here's another source of guitar parts which is popular with the folks over at [url="http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/"]http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/[/url]

[url="http://angela.com/guitarparts.aspx"]http://angela.com/guitarparts.aspx[/url]

Sorry, and surprised, to hear about that... like escholl, I've had dealings with GPR in the past and they've been great. This does seem quite out of character, hopefully if you take it further you'll get a more measured response.
+1 for chguitars on fleaBay. They are excellent.

[quote name='escholl' post='874072' date='Jun 22 2010, 02:59 AM']Just out of curiosity, why did you wait over 45 days? Even standard slow mail takes only 14 days to ship.

Also, probably a silly question, but have you tried calling them?[/quote]

One of those hindsight things, I guess - the Friday the 13th boxset I ordered from America a few years back took about 3 1/2 months to arrive due to a customs issue, so I was just overly patient, especially considering it was just copper and nothing more substantial. Not to mention that I was hugely busy at the time, and having to deal with a frak-ton of electrical hum from my bass. I ended up installing a humbucker-in-single-coil-casing from Wizard Pickups, and that sorted it out mostly, but there was the whole process of getting hold of it, installing it, rewiring, etc - the foil kinda fell by the wayside.

I haven't tried calling them yet, but I guess that's next on the list. Of course, because so much time has passed, I don't know where I stand with my rights, and considering how they responded to my email I'm not hugely optimistic :-\

This isn't out of character for them, in my experience. I can't remember the details (it was quite a few years back), but I recall them being terrible at answering emails and bordering on rude when they did. Much like telecommunications providers, they are great when everything is working but show their weaknesses when things go wrong.

I use Ebay for these things now. CH Guitars - whom we have seen mentioned on these pages a lot recently - get the thumbs up from me. Last time I bought adhesive copper tape, I bought it from someone on Ebay marketing it as slug repellent for the garden. Couple of quid...I think I got two or three guitars and a bass from it.

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='874082' date='Jun 22 2010, 07:03 AM']They owe you what you paid for and you can prove it. That foil is yours.

Please write them a professional letter which includes the date and time of the terse (non)response you received from someone who was either having a bad day or just doesn't like their job.

Guitar Parts Resource LLC
12456 Lancaster Street NE
PO BOX 266
Millersport, OH 43046

Phone: 740-467-2823
Fax: 740-467-3245

[email protected]

And after you've written your letter...

[url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/feedback.htm"]http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/feedback.htm[/url]

I won't wish you luck since situations like these call for tenacity.[/quote]

Thank you very much! I'll do exactly that if I continue to get no joy. I'm a little bit loathed to send post and make telephone calls to the USA over a few sheets of copper, but I'm also not that keen on giving companies money for nothing!

I've worked in agonising retail enough to know what it's like to get the burning misanthropic rage, but even in my darkest hour I always had the decency to apologise to someone! :-\

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've too have worked in retail and the first rule is, if you get it wrong (& even if you haven't) you count to 10 and apologise, the customer feels they have been heard and they generally come back.

I would follow it up, they've had your money, you've not got your goods....end of.

But +1 for CH, absolute first class......

Best wishes.

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='874321' date='Jun 22 2010, 07:07 AM']Thank you very much! I'll do exactly that if I continue to get no joy. I'm a little bit loathed to send post and make telephone calls to the USA over a few sheets of copper, but I'm also not that keen on giving companies money for nothing!

I've worked in agonising retail enough to know what it's like to get the burning misanthropic rage, but even in my darkest hour I always had the decency to apologise to someone! :-\[/quote]

Dave, from you're posts it's clear that you're articulate, and are a gentleman by nature. :)

Please consider exploiting these assets via the power of print to attain what is [i]rightfully yours[/i] before incurring the cost of an overseas phone call.

A proper letter is a rarity these days. Yours will likely be noticed and acted upon.

Please keep us posted.

Gary

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='874475' date='Jun 22 2010, 03:09 PM']Dave, from you're posts it's clear that you're articulate, and are a gentleman by nature. :)

Please consider exploiting these assets via the power of print to attain what is [i]rightfully yours[/i] before incurring the cost of an overseas phone call.

A proper letter is a rarity these days. Yours will likely be noticed and acted upon.

Please keep us posted.

Gary[/quote]

Haha, why thank you, I am pretty articulated :rolleyes: I'll do just that then, and I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes.

I still keep checking my inbox for some kind of reply... nothing!

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='874475' date='Jun 22 2010, 03:09 PM']Dave, from you're posts it's clear that you're articulate, and are a gentleman by nature. :)

Please keep us posted.

Gary[/quote]

Haha, why thank you, I am pretty articulated :rolleyes: I'll do just that then, and I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes.

I still keep checking my inbox for some kind of reply... nothing!

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='875036' date='Jun 22 2010, 08:27 PM']Haha, why thank you, I am pretty articulated :) I'll do just that then, and I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes.

I still keep checking my inbox for some kind of reply... nothing![/quote]

Polite persistence should prevail in getting the goods you've paid for from a company whose life blood is found in the membership of Internet forums.

*subscribed*