Why become a member? ×

Bass Ukulele

Dash

[quote name='pete.young' post='874915' date='Jun 22 2010, 10:36 PM']Bass Ukelele? Hell no.

I was in Hobgoblin Music in London earlier today, and downstairs they have a bass mandolin. It looks like this:

Yes, those are real full-size guitars in the picture.[/quote]

hmmm..... maybe size is important after all! :)

[quote name='owen' post='876774' date='Jun 24 2010, 07:49 PM']It's here and it is a a lot of fun :) It is pretty fussy about what it sees as a pre-amp, as all piezo pickups which are unbuffered are.[/quote]

I'm very, very jealous!

I've decided that my bank balance won't stretch to a bass ukulele right now so I'm going to settle for a normal ukulele instead.

BTW I have just spoken to a friend of mine who has been playing ukuleles for years and he recommended [url="http://www.ukulelehunt.com"]www.ukulelehunt.com[/url] as a useful site for info on buying a first ukulele.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ordered one of these at Bassdirect for my birthday and I've been enjoying it a lot since last week ...
It's just very handy to have around when you're watching tv or sitting outside in the garden.
No need to plug in amps or drag cords across the room since the sound is more than audible enough when played alone..
Plugged in however it sounds huge and fat ...and it inspires (the most important factor). Thicker than a Precision but still enough definition.
Only disadvantage for me is the tuning..it detunes quickly and you need to retune a lot..
Maybe the strings need some time to settle ? When it arrived it was detuned more than an octave lower and it took nearly half an hour to get all the strings to pitch..
Edit : other disadvantage : when you get used to the smaller scale of the fretboard and you go back to an electric bass, it takes some time to get back into your old habits.. When I took my Sandberg and played it again it felt like a truck when I compared it with the Kala.
Conclusion : I love it and actually every bass-player should have one..
Short clip with the Kala..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdrHhOul58[/media]