Why become a member? ×

Warwick balance?

jimbobothy

Hi folks, anyone know of the best balanced 5 string Warwick out there. I've tried a Thumb bolt on 5 string and Streamer Jazzman 5 string and personally found them to be too neck heavy for my liking. I'm digging the sound of the basses just the ergonomics don't agree with me. I've currently got two 4 string Warwicks but I'm needing that low B string!

[quote name='jimbobothy' post='865966' date='Jun 13 2010, 02:26 PM']Hi folks, anyone know of the best balanced 5 string Warwick out there. I've tried a Thumb bolt on 5 string and Streamer Jazzman 5 string and personally found them to be too neck heavy for my liking. I'm digging the sound of the basses just the ergonomics don't agree with me. I've currently got two 4 string Warwicks but I'm needing that low B string![/quote]

Try the Dolphin set neck!

The one i had balanced really well due to the extended top horn

:)

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=14485&cl=EN"]http://www.warwickbass.com/modules/produkt...14485&cl=EN[/url]

You might also try the Corvette body shape as well. The longer top horn helps to distribute the weight. I prefer my Corvette proline over my Thumb NT when playing a long set although i suffer the Thumb for the clarity of tones & side LED's...
Find a neck width that is comfortable for you as well when looking for a 5 string 'wick, I find they vary between certain models. My '96 Thumb bass is slimmer in profile than my '93 Proline although the Proline is thinner in depth.

Dolphin
Infinity
Fortress (no longer made, unfortunately)
Corvette

All have longer upper horns that the Streamer or Thumb. The Dolphin is aided by its body-shape.
I've never struggled with the Streamer Vs. I own a Streamer LX VI, and that stays put with a broad leather strap.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='866093' date='Jun 13 2010, 04:09 PM']While I appreciate that the thumbs aren't the best designed with balance in mind, I never have any problems with mine. Rather than limit your options on bass, get a nice thick leather strap, should hold it fine, my thumb stays put wherever I leave it.[/quote]

+1 on the strap!
With suede backing it both stops the bass moving AND with the width u cannot feel the weight, and I dont have the best spine in the world.
3-4" should do.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='866093' date='Jun 13 2010, 04:09 PM']While I appreciate that the thumbs aren't the best designed with balance in mind, I never have any problems with mine. Rather than limit your options on bass, get a nice thick leather strap, should hold it fine, my thumb stays put wherever I leave it.[/quote]

+1

I never had any trouble with my Thumb 4 string. Very comfortable.

[quote name='Kongo' post='866322' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:56 PM']+1 on the strap!
With suede backing it both stops the bass moving AND with the width u cannot feel the weight, and I dont have the best spine in the world.
3-4" should do.[/quote]

another +1 to that

I have both Thumb 5 and 6 NT and with a wide leather strap with suede back no neck dive what so ever. I even strapped them on just to make sure I was not taking rubbish.

I've owned the most popular models and this is where each top horn went to
Thumb - 17th Fret
Corvette - 15th Fret
Streamer LX - 14th Fret
Dolphin NT - 14th Fret
Streamer NT - 13/14th Fret

Of all the Warwicks I've owned and played, all the Corvette 5/6 and Thumb 5/6 not only had terrible balance but were quite uncomfortable seated or standing.
The Dolphin had the most wicked tone and bottom end but the tiny bottom horn digs into your leg when seated - balance is better due to heavy body.
Streamer LX was better, but the Stage One 5/6 are the best, if rather heavy.

Another variable that you may need to take into account is the mass of the body wood. A bass that was designed to balance as an ovankol neck/bubinga body may be neck heavy with a swamp ash body.

I moved from a 4-string Corvette on a bubinga body to a 5-string Corvette on a swamp ash body, and could not get on with the neck dive, even with a decent strap.

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder

dolphin!!!!!

Had a thumb six beutiful sound but bit neck heavy (old 98 neck profile shallow C).
My Dolphin sn 5 was the MOST comfortableist bass ive owned, (neck was a tad thick profile U shape) :rolleyes:

UNTILL :- :)

untilll i got my sei 6 flamboyant the neck weight and shape is PERFECT . period. :lol: :lol:

hope this helps a bit!!