Why become a member? ×

Matamp experts

Musicman20

Can anyone comment on Matamps 2x12 cabinets?

Ive seen some of the examples on here and the prices are awesome.

Im wondering what they can do; eg a vertical 2x12, sweet high end tweeter (nothing harsh), 4 ohm, lots of volume capability, lightweight as possible, fairly compact?

I really want it to be under 60lbs and quite 'compact' for a 2x12.

Im just thinking on and GASSING I suppose. I love 2x12s!

Ive dropped them an email.

Feel free to PM or contribute on the thread if you have prices etc.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='862183' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:15 PM']Can anyone comment on Matamps 2x12 cabinets?

Ive seen some of the examples on here and the prices are awesome.

Im wondering what they can do; eg a vertical 2x12, sweet high end tweeter (nothing harsh), 4 ohm, lots of volume capability, lightweight as possible, fairly compact?

I really want it to be under 60lbs and quite 'compact' for a 2x12.

Im just thinking on and GASSING I suppose. I love 2x12s!

Ive dropped them an email.

Feel free to PM or contribute on the thread if you have prices etc.[/quote]

While they'll do mostly anything you ask for a price, i think if you want lightweight and small your barking up the wrong tree

[quote name='umph' post='862194' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:19 PM']While they'll do mostly anything you ask for a price, i think if you want lightweight and small your barking up the wrong tree[/quote]

I know they arent really well known for small cabinets....im just thinking a fairly compact 2x12...nothing as small as say a Schroeder.

Lightish is what Im after....I realise they dont do really light, but after reading up they do neo speakers so that would help.

I have the lightweight 2x12's and it's an easy 1 person lift

Measurements are
30kgs
h74cm x w56cm x d37cm

This thing is hella loud I did my whole tour with it (6 Weeks) and did rooms up to 300 people with no PA support and my 400+ never went above 5 :)

Monz is currently selling his 2 4x10's because his 2x12 gives him everything he needs and he plans to get a second.

Is it as loud as my 8x10, no but the difference is 2x12 amp on 5, 8x10 amp on 3 and I'm really freakin loud as is my band.

Never noticed a need for a tweeter it has plenty of highs but if you want one they'll do it, but it will add to the weight and price.

Hope this helps

[quote name='Wil' post='862203' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:26 PM']As far as I know, they hew their cabinets from solid tree trunks and line them with lead.[/quote]
+1 matamps construction methods are a bit more bruteforce than your modern half inch ply with cunning bracing.

not to knock matamp though they do make great sounding solid cabs. My 215 sounds the absolute dogs dangleys

[quote name='umph' post='862221' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:38 PM']+1 matamps construction methods are a bit more bruteforce than your modern half inch ply with cunning bracing.

not to knock matamp though they do make great sounding solid cabs. My 215 sounds the absolute dogs dangleys[/quote]

Agreed to a point, their premise is no compromise on sound, they brace the crap out of them so as little vibrates externally as possible, the next problem is they don't like the sound of a lot of neo's, I have Neo's in my 2x12 and Monz doesn't and there is a HUGE difference in weight and his sounds bigger and bassier but mine is as big and bassy as I need :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='862224' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:42 PM']Does... not... compute... :)

Maybe I'm a weedy little thing (in fact, I know I am), but 30kg ain't an easy lift for me.[/quote]

Well there is 30kg's with a handle on the top and 30kg's with 2 well placed handles on a cab that doesn't slam your knuckles into door frames

But either way they weigh 30kg's if that's heavy shop else where but you will not get a better 2x12 let alone a better one for the money.

All the developments in speaker technology that BFM and Claber often mention have passed Matamp by. If it was good enough 30 years ago, it will be slightly better now, since speakers are better, but don't expect any cunning engineering. The attitude wins for amps, cause valve tech hasn't moved on in that time, could probably do better technically with speakers, but they won't have the style. I am collecting my Matamp 2x12 this evening. It is a guitar one though.

The neo speakers are probably wasted because they don't tend to bother with the whole 'port tuning' thing. I did email them and ask for a particular speaker and appropriate tuning and I was turned away.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='862230' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:48 PM']Well there is 30kg's with a handle on the top and 30kg's with 2 well placed handles on a cab that doesn't slam your knuckles into door frames

But either way they weigh 30kg's if that's heavy shop else where but you will not get a better 2x12 let alone a better one for the money.[/quote]

I can just about handle 30kg...id prefer a little less. Ive sent an email to see what they say :)

They're great cabs. I have the same as Ste and, whilst it can be a pain to carry sometimes, I've had worse. The skids on the bottom help too. For sheer brute strength and kicking out bass, this is a great cab. As Ste said, I think Monz's 2x12 is even bassier, but also heavier. I wouldn't say it was too bulky or uncomfortable to carry, they're just right to get your arms around and mine fits in a Fiesta with the seats down along with a fender bass case and an orange valve head, with some room to spare.

Speaking of cabs looking cool, they have a shedload of options to customize the cab to how you want it. Pretty much anything can be done. I went for a vintage style and think it looks cracking :)

Good luck in your quest.

Mine was 350. I'm not entirely sure mine and Ste's does have neo's. Ste deals with matamp more than me, but I don't recall any mentioning of neo's when I was spec'ing my cab. Maybe he knows more?

It's worth an ask about the custom bits you want. Matamp aren't happy unless you're happy and are pretty thorough to make sure you get what you want, but not sure about what you want. It's worth a phonecall, email doesn't seem to have made much of an impression at Matamp HQ just yet :)

[quote name='umcoo' post='863097' date='Jun 10 2010, 11:29 AM']Mine was 350. I'm not entirely sure mine and Ste's does have neo's. Ste deals with matamp more than me, but I don't recall any mentioning of neo's when I was spec'ing my cab. Maybe he knows more?

It's worth an ask about the custom bits you want. Matamp aren't happy unless you're happy and are pretty thorough to make sure you get what you want, but not sure about what you want. It's worth a phonecall, email doesn't seem to have made much of an impression at Matamp HQ just yet :)[/quote]

Yeah as far as I know mine and yours have neos in as that is the stock model.

They can probably add extra bits but tilt back wheels and grab handles will make this a bitch as you'll have to bend your knees to drag that (bet you this is the first thing Jeff says about it :rolleyes: ) it's a small cab not an 8x10 or 2x15 that they normally add those handles to.

You've be better getting Jeff to give it pop in castors or make a board for you to push it on if it's such a concern, I think tilting it back won't work how you hope.