Why become a member? ×

PA: Active speaker advice

xgsjx

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on active PA speakers. Here's the situation...

A small church (about 40 folk max most weeks) that I go to is looking for a PA system & I've been given that task. Up until now we have been putting vocals & acoustic guitar thru my MB combo via an Alesis 8 channel mixer with no probs & the combo is barely on & has plenty of volume.

I'm now going to be playing bass as we have now got another guitarist but don't really want to put everything thru my combo.

As the budget is fairly limited (not sure exactly what it is, but I estimate between £200-£400) I was originally looking at a cheapo amp & speakers such as the [url="http://www.themusicking.co.uk/meridian-150-watt-pa-system"]Meridian HA104[/url] or a cheap Peavey system, but then I thought about active speakers as they're easier to pack away when we're finished.

I then thought about spending as much of the budget as I can on just one speaker & get a decent make rather than some unknown & we can always add more when we need to.

The ones that I've been looking at are the [url="http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-sound/mackie-thump-th-15a-powered-loudspeaker--67614"]Mackie Thump TH-15A[/url], the [url="http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-sound/samson-612-active-pa-speaker--45012"]Samson 612[/url] & the [url="http://www.dv247.com/pa-systems-and-live-sound/mackie-srm-350-blue--73599"]Mackie SRM-350 Blue[/url].

I've also been considering the JBL eon 10G2 but think a single 10" may not be enough (tho I know how much my 2x10 can move) & also had a look at some companies that I've never heard of, so don't know if they're any good or to avoid, they are LD Systems, Db technologies, Studiomaster, KAM (we have a couple of KAM mics & they're pants) & Studiospares' own brand (which was recommended in another post here).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best option?

[quote name='crez5150' post='862042' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:24 PM']Also check some Wharfedale for that money.... big bang for buck.... steer clear of KAM as they are horrid[/quote]

Yeah, Wharfdale Titan 12A's are very good speakers, around £600/pair. Only 13kg each as well.

D.

I'll have a look at the Wharfdales. Any thought's on Soundlab (I know they used to be not very good in the 80's & 90's but how about now) or Thomann's the Box?

Sorry Ian, they only want to buy new. Thanks anyway.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='862166' date='Jun 9 2010, 03:06 PM']I'll have a look at the Wharfdales. Any thought's on Soundlab (I know they used to be not very good in the 80's & 90's but how about now) or Thomann's the Box?

Sorry Ian, they only want to buy new. Thanks anyway.[/quote]

Neither Soundlab or Thomann are in the same league as Wharfedale. I have just bought a pair of virtually new Wharfedale Titan 15's at a stupid price. They are currently a "best kept secret".

Guest johnzgerman

mackies or the dBs are the best of that list IME.

edit:

dB are not to be confused with D and B, arguably the best PA manufacturer in the world and their prices reflect this.

Edited by johnzgerman

[quote name='stevie' post='862000' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:35 PM']What does god say you should buy?[/quote]

I think the fact no one replied to your comment, might argue it was distasteful. The man is just asking for advice from a supposedly friendly bass forum.

I thought it quite amusing (as I invariably do when people mock superstition), but didn't feel the need to reply. :)

With regard to (paraphrasing) "Which PA for a small church?" it's also almost as useful a reply as any of the other posts - no information has been given (or asked for) in terms of the size and shape of the space!

In many 'traditional' church buildings a 10/12" + 90 degree horn cab is almost certainly going to be a disaster...
Putting bass guitar through such a system in addition to vocals/guitar isn't likely to help either.

[quote name='algmusic' post='862756' date='Jun 9 2010, 11:29 PM']I think the fact no one replied to your comment, might argue it was distasteful. The man is just asking for advice from a supposedly friendly bass forum.[/quote]
The reason nobody replied to my remark was that it was just a lighthearted bit of legpulling. Interesting that you felt the urge to reply though. :)

Hi Stewart, you're right that I should have mentioned the building as it may be of help.
The current one is @ 20m x 40m & is not a traditional church building.
We do go to different communities & use various buildings & would also be using it at these.
The bass wouldn't be going thru a small pa system like this as I know it won't have the headroom (my band have a small 1k pa system that I tried DIing from my amp into when we first got it & then found it better not to).
Hope that's of more help.

[quote name='Stewart' post='862855' date='Jun 10 2010, 07:11 AM']I thought it quite amusing (as I invariably do when people mock superstition), but didn't feel the need to reply. :)

With regard to (paraphrasing) "Which PA for a small church?" it's also almost as useful a reply as any of the other posts - no information has been given (or asked for) in terms of the size and shape of the space!

In many 'traditional' church buildings a 10/12" + 90 degree horn cab is almost certainly going to be a disaster...
Putting bass guitar through such a system in addition to vocals/guitar isn't likely to help either.[/quote]

Yes but with a budget of £200-400 your not going to be able to buy much else.... if its a traditional church the sound will be horrendous anyway. Most churches will use speaker columns for speech as these are the best solution to the reflective properties of the church over traditional boxes.

for band use you'd be better off using a small line array type or steerable system.... but this would be way outside the budget

Well I've had a look at loads of actives & was about to go for the Titan 12, but then I found the db Opera Live 402 & then discovered the Opera Live 405 is only £5 more at £350 which from what little reviews I can find, appear to be really good.

Anyone used them?

Thanks for the good advice thus far.

[quote name='crez5150' post='862042' date='Jun 9 2010, 01:24 PM']Also check some Wharfedale for that money.... big bang for buck.... steer clear of KAM as they are horrid[/quote]

+1 on the Wharfdalestuff.

We gig with 2 Wharfdale 15's for small to medium pubs/clubs and they are never pushed above half way. Should be perfect for your situation and I think they were around the£250 mark each.

The studiospares own brand stuff is cheap and cheerful and virtually bombproof. We are running 10" ones at work (with subs) for my students to practice PA with. They get driven to within an inch of their lives and still smile.