Why become a member? ×

This is why I like EBMM basses...sounds amazing in this live mix

Musicman20

He's technically very proficient (the bassist of course) - not heard this lot before, seems like half way between modern punk and early Metallica/Megadeth type thrash metal. Interesting. And yeah, the 'Ray actually sounded pretty good on this clip

[quote name='Clarky' post='861566' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:12 PM']He's technically very proficient (the bassist of course) - not heard this lot before, seems like half way between modern punk and early Metallica/Megadeth type thrash metal. Interesting. And yeah, the 'Ray actually sounded pretty good on this clip[/quote]

I think they are all fans of Maiden/Metallica but didnt want to be in a metal band. You can definitely hear the Maiden influences all over it. But its modern, faster, and punk :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='861546' date='Jun 8 2010, 09:53 PM']That intro was awesome. :)
The rest didn't blow my fringe back much but I appreciate the skill.[/quote]

The end is pretty nice as well. Check out 'The Horse' if you like the tapping. Great track and serious skill!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='861596' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:28 PM']The end is pretty nice as well. Check out 'The Horse' if you like the tapping. Great track and serious skill![/quote]
Yeah the end was sweet too.
I just get bored with that speed-metal "blat blat blat blat" drumming these days - it's too much like what I was into as a kid.
If the drummer was more dynamic then I'd be right into all of this.

I can't find the Horse track. :)

Edited by Ou7shined

good bass playing. I never comment negatively over a style of music which I am not into, I just accept it as someone else's joy even though it might not be necessarily mine. Each to his own, horses for courses and all that kinda thing. But hey nice to tap on a stingray, very percussive and middley, that bit I "dug" :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='861602' date='Jun 8 2010, 10:37 PM']Yeah the end was sweet too.
I just get bored with that speed-metal "blat blat blat blat" drumming these days - it's too much like what I was into as a kid.
If the drummer was more dynamic then I'd be right into all of this.

I can't find the Horse track. :)[/quote]

Ah, well what happened is the drumming in most metal/thrash is just alternating bass drum n snare played really quick with a hi hat/cymbals.

The hardcore and punk scene, as you probably know, developed it to be a triplet feel on the single bass drum (my drummer noted this takes a lot more skill).

It gives the guitar/bass more of a bouncy double time, which was really popular in mid 90s punk in the USA.

This band mixed hardcore with punk and added tech metal to bring what you hear here; technical punk. Another band that springs to mind would be Strung Out.

I personally side a lot more with punk than metal, just because it tends to be melodic and they don't have the whole daft 'metal' vibe going on.

If you type A Wilhelm Scream 'The Horse' into google or YouTube it should come up :rolleyes: The tapping starts about 20 seconds in.

Agh, I really love MM's but the clip is one of the reasons I'd always think twice about buying into one... to me it sounds way too top-heavy, and pretty clicky, I don't find that there is much depth to the sound of this particular clip, and for what I'm doing I think it would get lost in the mix. It serves it's purpose, but it's not my thing. Then again, horses for courses... I love my P-Bass with flatwound strings but i guess again it's just not for everyone.

Edited by liamcapleton

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='862507' date='Jun 9 2010, 07:10 PM']Agh, I really love MM's but the clip is one of the reasons I'd always think twice about buying into one... to me it sounds way too top-heavy, and pretty clicky, I don't find that there is much depth to the sound of this particular clip, and for what I'm doing I think it would get lost in the mix. It serves it's purpose, but it's not my thing. Then again, horses for courses... I love my P-Bass with flatwound strings but i guess again it's just not for everyone.[/quote]

I realised the past few months that you can get an awesome motown thump from a Stingray 2 or 3 band EQ.

The key? Careful EQing, fingerstyle, and if you want to go the full hog, flats :)

One of my favourite bands - seen them live twice now, although at their recent Bristol academy show the bass didn't come through that well. They still rocked hard though! Mute Print and Career Suicide are fantastic records. Ruiner is too, but I prefer the other two.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='862552' date='Jun 9 2010, 07:53 PM']I realised the past few months that you can get an awesome motown thump from a Stingray 2 or 3 band EQ.

The key? Careful EQing, fingerstyle, and if you want to go the full hog, flats :)[/quote]

Ohhhh yes :rolleyes: Just got back from Stockholm, played a rather lovely Ray over there with a stupendously great tone... it's got me itching for one.

[quote name='Wil' post='862574' date='Jun 9 2010, 08:20 PM']One of my favourite bands - seen them live twice now, although at their recent Bristol academy show the bass didn't come through that well. They still rocked hard though! Mute Print and Career Suicide are fantastic records. Ruiner is too, but I prefer the other two.[/quote]
I was there too. I was on the opposite side to the bass and couldn't hear it that well, but he is a great bassist. Such a good band live too and got myself AWS t-shirt, served by the drummer I believe.

A little more?!

This time a studio version of a song with a actual band video.

You can just see his shadow playing some tapping haha.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pZstkiTg4&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pZstkiTg4...feature=related[/url]

Here is a rather poor quality live version I posted up few months ago, but it gives you an idea:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFcw8BDAmRc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFcw8BDAmRc[/url]

This is the studio version:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSCX_vuRDWc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSCX_vuRDWc[/url]

Here is their latest video, and its probably a rarity that its a fairly slow tempo!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTae9qGUMiA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTae9qGUMiA...feature=related[/url]

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Chris2112' post='863589' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:43 PM']I love Stingrays but I'm not so hot on this "tapping for the sake of it" gimmick, or this "punk" thing, saying as it's merely a shouty re-tread of punk that was poor in the first place!

But the Ray is a fantastic design.[/quote]

Horses for courses I guess. They aren't tapping for the sake of it. You can see the energy almost bursting out of them, and that is what punk is all about.

It may well seem like a re-tread but it's now very competently played with the passion that only punk provides.

I appreciate a lot of music, even this noisy stuff. Punk is one of the most exciting genres out there. The classics like The Clash brought that driving P Bass forward in the mix, and let's face it 90% of punk has sincere and topical/intelligent lyrical content.

I'm sorry but I really don't like a style bring attacked for no apparent reason. It's definitely not dumb or just a re hash.

Edited by Musicman20

I agree, it's not tapping for the sake of it. It's actually pretty integral to the overall sound. It works particularly well here because it is adding a dynamic to the song in the place of a passage that could easily have contained no actual bass at all - therefore the tapping part doesn't detract from or over complicate the tune it adds a complimentary layer.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='863930' date='Jun 11 2010, 01:09 AM']Horses for courses I guess.[/quote]

Indeed. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder, because to me, Punk just looks like a sadly out of date, fashion-before-substance load of tat that was marginally less embarassing in the first wave when it seemed fresh and new. Now, it's all just a retread and throwing in some tapping doesn't make it anything new. It just reminds me of the countless discussions about the application of technique with no musical value, of which I would consider this to be a prime example, since all the tapping line does is clutter the the song.

But if you like it, then good on you.