Why become a member? ×

Violin bass fretless- w/ soundclips

mr.sibs

This build was started in the summer, and will hopefully be ready around new year. Its being built for me by a friend to my design specs. Its a fretless violin bass with two schaller pick ups, it has been built with a wooden bar down the middle of the body, yes the body is hollow, and the builder put in the bar to add a bit more resonance than other violin basses, but hopefully it will still get the warmth im after. heres some pics...

Im going to go fro a deep reddy nut brown varnish for the finish, and painting will be starting soon

Edited by mr.sibs

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='129314' date='Jan 28 2008, 03:00 PM']we have colour!!! have been waiting for a dry couple of days for a while and now the first coats are on the bass and i think its looking ace :)[/quote]

I've been waiting for an update on this for ages! It's looking very, very nice indeed!

Being fretless, you won't have the intonation problems usually associated with these thing. That's a bonus!

For once, I am quite envious! I love it! Keep the pics coming!

thanks ebs, i got a chance to play it prior to spraying to make sure it felt okay and i was very impressed indeed, much nicer than the hofners that i had played prior to asking for it to be built, and the intonation seemed pretty good through the neck, i have to wait a couple of weeks for drying now though :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='139272' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:48 AM']thanks, last weekend of feb will be arrival time as its just on drying now, eek!! so there will be more pictures soon[/quote]

Looking forward to seeing this!

Just out of interest, as I've never thought about it before, where do you get hardcases for violin basses??

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='142886' date='Feb 19 2008, 08:46 AM']glad there are some people enjoying it. They have a couple of hardcases at thomann, just got to see what will fit nicest. Its arriving this weekend touch wood so il get some pictures up of the finished article soon[/quote]

Indeed... the HÖFNER H3052-VB looks very tasty... well, as far as bass cases go. It's got dials and stuff in it! Got to be good! They aren't cheap though are they?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='142932' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:12 AM']Indeed... the HÖFNER H3052-VB looks very tasty... well, as far as bass cases go. It's got dials and stuff in it! Got to be good! They aren't cheap though are they?[/quote]

Yeah they look cool, im tempted to be a cheapskate and go for the £40 "beatcase" they have, im sure it will do the job

Shes finished!!! apologies for the quality of the photos, il try and find a better space for some better ones soon..
if anyones interested my hard case is fantastic too, i went for the cheap beat bass one from thomann and it fits wonderfully
hope you all enjoy, this bass is a masterpiece :)