Why become a member? ×

Charles Mingus - 6 degrees of separation

Bilbo

I am a member of Basschat, which features Bilbo
Bilbo did a gig with Stan Sultzman in Ascot
Dave Holland (played on Kenny Wheeler's 'Flutterby Butterfly' with Stan Sultzman
John Scofield (played with Holland in the jazz 'supergroup' ScoLoHoFo)
Charles Mingus (Scofield played on the bass players LP 'Three or Four Shades of Blue'

Five degrees!

I was taught by a great bass player called David Leahy over the easter. He had a friend who lent him an old tape recorder that had been given to him by none other than Dave Holland, when he left the UK to play with Miles (supposedly this tape recorder was once used by Holland for recording, and had some original cuts on it). Anyway, from Dave Holland to Mingus you can take your pick.

Easier than I thought!

p.s. - I had always thought it was Milt Hinton who played on "Shoes...."?

In 3!

1. Bernard Purdie appeared onstage unexpededly during our set at the Jazz Cafe and started jamming with us! (I still can't believe that actually happened)
2. Bernard Purdie played with Ron Carter on various Atlantic recordings
3. Ron Carter played with Charles Mingus

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='856464' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:43 PM']Me too, starting with Jon Hiseman whom I met on a couple of occasions.....a bit tenuous but hey :)

here it is

[url="http://labs.echonest.com/SixDegrees/?start=jon+hiseman&end=charles+mingus"]http://labs.echonest.com/SixDegrees/?start...=charles+mingus[/url][/quote]

Never thought I would link into this thread, but, I've taken stage-side photos of Jon Hiseman and stepped into his dressing room. So it's a 7+ for me too.

Balcro.

My old band were engineered by Barry Clempson,
who engineered REM's Fables of the Reconstruction,
that created the track "The Outsiders", that was performed by Q Tip,
who was in the band A Tribe Called Quest, that created the track "Verses From The Abstract",
that was performed by Ron Carter,
who performed on the track The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers by Charles Mingus.