Why become a member? ×

Mystery Fender P body route

Shaggy

I'll probably sound like Mr Thick from Thicksville being particularly thick here :rolleyes: , but anyway -

I recently bought an (alleged) -'79 Fender Precision body from the US to form part of a fretless rebuild project ( [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87357"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87357[/url] ), a very nice piece of ash with the natural finish largely intact but nicely worn; not too heavy either.

What's baffling me is; what's the purpose of the little straight route going off from the main cavity towards the neck? There's a little electrical eyelet just at the origin. Logical reason would seem to be for a switch or a rotary control - any models of that era have switches mid-pickguard then? Is it a ganja / rubber johnny stash? (not v accessible :) ) Termites making a Tom, Dick & Harry tunnel "Great Escape" style?

Here's another one: [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Fender-Precision-bass-body-w-Kahler-bridge-GREAT-/330433560214?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4cef5ffe96"]http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Fender-Precision-...=item4cef5ffe96[/url]

It appears to be perfectly sized for a cunningly hidden fold-away ninja death stick. Did the previous owner mention 'Grasshopper' at any point in your negotiations?

Edit: but seriously (folks), there must have been some weird extra control there. Perhaps it was once modded as a P/J and there was volume control there?

Edited by Clarky

The routs are all original. Thought the body would of been probably paired with an s9 serial number bass which means the body could be from any time up to 1983 as the s9 serial numbers lasted for about 3 and a hlaf years. There wouldnt off been any additional switches etc. the circular routs are from the CNC machine marks and the little straight rout with the eylet was for the earthing wire to screw to.

That route is to acomodate the screws of a thumbrest, in my opinion. Probably back then the thumbrests screwed to the pickguard and not to the body or had some kind of reinforcement plaque under the pickguard. Don't realy know, just trying to guess what it is but it seems in the right place :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='843582' date='May 20 2010, 09:44 PM']It appears to be perfectly sized for a cunningly hidden fold-away ninja death stick. Did the previous owner mention 'Grasshopper' at any point in your negotiations?[/quote]

Master is wise in the ways of Bass-Fu........ :ph34r:

[quote name='wesfinn' post='843611' date='May 20 2010, 10:20 PM']The routs are all original. Thought the body would of been probably paired with an s9 serial number bass which means the body could be from any time up to 1983 as the s9 serial numbers lasted for about 3 and a hlaf years. There wouldnt off been any additional switches etc. the circular routs are from the CNC machine marks and the little straight rout with the eylet was for the earthing wire to screw to.[/quote]

Thanks wesfinn, sound info. I wasn't too hung up on getting it excatly matched to the neck (a '78), just thereabouts, un-messed with, with an original natural or 3TS finish. Was a good price too :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='843673' date='May 20 2010, 11:15 PM']Unfortunately Greg it means it's broken & you should allow me to take it off your hands for you :rolleyes:

Looks great - I've been GASing for a stripped 70s body for a while but I can't find any sellers wishing to trade in magic beans![/quote]

You've got quite enough Precisions, matey! Parts seem to be much easier to source from the US for some reason, more of a market for "breaking" old basses. There's a guy in the UK does supplies them that Chris Beedster put me onto, I'll dig out his email for you - not cheap though.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='843756' date='May 21 2010, 01:20 AM']That route is to acomodate the screws of a thumbrest, in my opinion. Probably back then the thumbrests screwed to the pickguard and not to the body or had some kind of reinforcement plaque under the pickguard. Don't realy know, just trying to guess what it is but it seems in the right place :lol:[/quote]

That definitely sounds like the most likely explanation. It can stop bugging me now!

Thanks guys, informative and entertaining as ever! :lol:

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='843756' date='May 21 2010, 12:20 AM']That route is to acomodate the screws of a thumbrest, in my opinion. Probably back then the thumbrests screwed to the pickguard and not to the body or had some kind of reinforcement plaque under the pickguard. Don't realy know, just trying to guess what it is but it seems in the right place :)[/quote]

No, for two reasons
The thumbrest was repositioned over the E string years before 1979
There had never been a route for the thumbrest which is screwed directly into the body (just like the pickguard)

[quote name='Mr Rabble' post='843861' date='May 21 2010, 09:46 AM']No, for two reasons
There had never been a route for the thumbrest which is screwed directly into the body (just like the pickguard)[/quote]

But that body could be in stock from the time they put thumbrests below the strings...
Probably some series came out with the route, to me the thumbrest theory seems the most likely but i don't know enough Fender history to testify any of my words :)

[quote name='Mr Rabble' post='843861' date='May 21 2010, 09:46 AM']No, for two reasons
There had never been a route for the thumbrest which is screwed directly into the body (just like the pickguard)[/quote]

You are correct there sir. Plus the rout is too far back for it to be a rest hole. The rout as far as I am aware was purely for the earthing eyelet and would of had a date in there too originally. Early 80's construction was a bit odd but was all done to save time in terms of drilling between channels which takes a lot longer than it would for the cnc to just cut one large cavity for everything to fit into.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='843934' date='May 21 2010, 11:03 AM']You are correct there sir. Plus the rout is too far back for it to be a rest hole. The rout as far as I am aware was purely for the earthing eyelet and would of had a date in there too originally. Early 80's construction was a bit odd but was all done to save time in terms of drilling between channels which takes a lot longer than it would for the cnc to just cut one large cavity for everything to fit into.[/quote]

Ah-ha - so the eyelet is a central earthing point?

[quote name='Shaggy' post='843807' date='May 21 2010, 08:29 AM']You've got quite enough Precisions, matey! Parts seem to be much easier to source from the US for some reason, more of a market for "breaking" old basses. There's a guy in the UK does supplies them that Chris Beedster put me onto, I'll dig out his email for you - not cheap though.[/quote]

Thanks, that'd be great. I'm not in a position to buy yet but I fancy doing something in the future. I have a neck so I'm at least out of the starting blocks!

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='844122' date='May 21 2010, 01:36 PM']I think that the rout in question is for the optional,at the time, DFA control.[/quote]

DFA??? :rolleyes:

[quote name='wesfinn' post='844200' date='May 21 2010, 02:40 PM']Hillbilly could be correct. heres a shot with the earthing cable attached.[/quote]

Useful shot for the rebuild......

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='844217' date='May 21 2010, 02:54 PM']Thanks, that'd be great. I'm not in a position to buy yet but I fancy doing something in the future. I have a neck so I'm at least out of the starting blocks![/quote]

PM'd :)

It sounds as if this instrument was one of the "parts" basses that were made in 1983-84 after the CBS pull-out. I was thinking that with the extra long cavity it could be one of the left over Elite/Special bodies. In a couple of these pictures, look how close the first control pot is to the pickup. I'd also be inclined to go for the explanation of the central earthing area.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='844122' date='May 21 2010, 01:36 PM']I think that the rout in question is for the optional,at the time, DFA control.[/quote]
[quote name='Shaggy' post='844486' date='May 21 2010, 06:40 PM']DFA??? :)[/quote]
Does F*** All? :brow:

• 2 weeks later...