Why become a member? ×

Recording for my ex-band

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74439"]I left a band in January, on good terms[/url]. When I left, I said that I'd do what was necessary to ensure a stable transition. We didn't have any gigs booked at the time. In March, the band leader asked me to spend a couple of hours in the studio to put the bass down on a couple of songs, which I agreed to do as a favour. While we were in the studio shooting the breeze, the band leader told me that they've got a new bass player.

Sunday was their first gig with the new bass player, so I dropped the band leader an email yesterday to enquire as to how it went. He replied back saying that the new guy isn't very good. Also last night I received an email from the violinist, saying that the new guy is terrible and she's thinking of leaving. I replied diplomatically, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, I've had an email from the band leader today asking me to go into the studio to do another song. I'm not really happy about this - for one thing, I left the band for a reason. I'll happily support their activities, but I don't want to be an active member of the band. For another thing, they've got a new bass player now, and I think it's unfair on him to be elbowed out of the recording process like this.

The way I see it, I have two options. I can either reply saying "no, you have a bass player, use him", or I can reply saying "if you want to hire me for a 2 hour session, that will be £50." I want to stay on good terms with this guy, just because it's nice to be nice, but he's put me in a slightly awkward position. I'm not going to keep doing musical favours for him indefinitely, because if I do that, then what's the point in having quit the band in the first place?

Any thoughts?

S.P.

[i]UPDATE: I've replied to the band leader saying that I won't do it, incorporating the phrase "solidarity among 4-string brethren" in my reason. Haven't made any mention of hourly session rates.[/i]

Edited by Stylon Pilson

If it was me, I'm not actually doing anything seeing as my band has gone on hiatus so I would do the recordings with the permission I can use them as a demo for any vacancy that I may go for. Baring in mind I would probably over play and rip all over it just so that a) Its a demo of my playing ability b ) put it in the new bass players pipe and watch him tryna smoke it.

Seriouly though I'd do it for the experinece and the demo and becasue the violinist is hot (is she hot?)

Edited by El Bajo

I wouldn't do it personally.

I'd be gutted if I was the new bassist and instead of relying on me, my band mates got in the old bassist.

In saying that, if you're prepared to treat it as a session job and ensure that's exactly how it plays out, then it's not your problem what their bassist thinks because you're simply employed to do a job.

I'd do it for free to help out the band but I'd certainly want the new bass player in on the decision making.
Unless you plan on leaving town you're very likely to run into these guys again, maybe even in a band you are thinking of joining ...

Well, I certainly feel sorry for the new bass player. I mean, that's some harsh feedback - but just how did he get the gig, if not by proving himself? Odd one: you've got the job, but oh, you're not good enough.

I'd decline, if you want my personal opinion. Someone else is playing that spot.

But its the band leaders choice who plays on a record?
If he wants to tread on the new bass players feet, then its not Stylons problem...its politics that the band leader has to deal with!
I'd do the session, for money, being a hired musician....but yes, I'd want the new guy to be in on the decision!.

Its a job, get hired....don't get hired.....leave the politics to the band members!

Si

[quote name='El Bajo' post='841022' date='May 18 2010, 03:59 PM']Seriouly though I'd do it for the experinece and the demo and becasue the violinist is hot (is she hot?)[/quote]

I'll say that she gives off a fairly good first impression.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='841029' date='May 18 2010, 04:08 PM']I'd be gutted if I was the new bassist and instead of relying on me, my band mates got in the old bassist.[/quote]

[quote name='burno70' post='841056' date='May 18 2010, 04:19 PM']I couldn't charge former bandmates, don't seem right to me.

And I couldn't step on other bassists shoes - same thing. I'd have to decline.[/quote]

These two responses struck a chord. I've replied to the band leader saying that I won't do it, incorporating the phrase "solidarity among 4-string brethren" in my reason. Haven't made any mention of hourly session rates.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='841065' date='May 18 2010, 04:22 PM']Well, I certainly feel sorry for the new bass player. I mean, that's some harsh feedback - but just how did he get the gig, if not by proving himself? Odd one: you've got the job, but oh, you're not good enough.[/quote]

It's panned out much how I forecasted it [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74439&view=findpost&p=721380"]here[/url]. The band is not good enough to attract a bass player of my calibre, so they're having to make do with what is available.

S.P.

Personally I wouldn't charge mates but it's a valid point. I'd maybe do the session but stress at the end that it is a last time and "we" all need to move on. It's a difficult situation. Bands do fall out sometimes & it's always funny a few years down the line as it always sounds so petty looking back. At least that's my experience. Sounds like they picked the first person who came along rather than the right person.

I'd stand back from this. This is potentially a big mess not of your making. I'd bill them and walk away. Hopefully the billing will discourage them from doing this sort of thing again and to sort it out.

So, get paid for the session and you'll do it as you would anyone else.
The bass player isn't your problem. If you don't feel comfortable about all this, then say a firm no. they sound like they will get someone else in anyway.

How on earth did they give him the job in the 1st place though..?
You know when things stand a chance of working or not.....

I can see why you quit..maybe..!!!