Why become a member? ×

'Normal' Rehearsal schedules - EDIT: Oh what an update! Enjoy!

Musicman20

I can't agree with the OP on this one. I suppose it all depends whether you enjoy 'rehearsing' or not. It beats playing on your own along with an iPod, any day. Even though the band might not be the closest of buddies, it is still great to let rip. It's what I joined a band for (playing with others) so I am happy to 'rehearse' anytime for as long as they want, especially as gigs are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. Of course it helps having a rehearsal space that does not have to be paid for, but the OP seemed to be of the opinion that because he has learned his stuff, everyone else should be as perfect as well and not 'waste' his time. Hmmm..

It's a hobby and it's a team game. A hobby that I would gladly do for nothing (even gigging) as we all have day-jobs. You don't see many golfers demanding payment from the golf club for playing on their course - so why should a pub pay us for having a ball? There are thousands of ski-ers out there with expensive kit and horrendous travel costs, but they do it because they get pleasure from it. If I was in a band but baulked at having to actually play together too often, then I would have to seriously question if I had chosen the correct hobby.

I think the OP was saying that he was frustrated at exensive rehearsals in both time and money and was this the norm?
I'd say the opinion here was that this wasn't normal to rehearse with full band kit, 2 nights a week for 4 months with a gig still a month away.

I think it would have been better if the band decided on its line-up ..decided on a set and then get a gig to aim for....which for pubs and with that sort of rehearsal schedule should have taken about 6 weeks, IMV.

I wouldn't be overjoyed either...

[quote name='Starless' post='841637' date='May 19 2010, 03:57 AM']I can't agree with the OP on this one..... If I was in a band but baulked at having to actually play together too often, then I would have to seriously question if I had chosen the correct hobby.[/quote]

Horses for courses. I play as a hobby too, but not everyone on this forum is a musician purely for pleasure. Some are true professionals and most seem to balance the two - i.e. they play because they enjoy it, have a "day-job", but still expect to be treated with respect and earn some financial recompense. If, for example, I give up an evening with my family to travel to a venue, set up my gear, play my heart out for two hours and not get home till well after midnight - should I not expect the venue to pay me for my time and effort? If we have brought maybe fifty or more people (who would not otherwise have been there) into the venue to drink expensive beverages and contribute to the wealth of the venue owner/landlord/etc.

OK, in some cases I would gig for free - but I would hate to think that all bands would be [b]expected[/b][i][/i] to!!

Its been discussed at great length on other threads whether bands should expect to be paid to play - and its a complex question with many complex answers...

Gareth has explained [b]his[/b][i][/i] situation in detail and why it is irritating him. I think (as do many others on here) that he has a fair point. You are free to disagree of course! But the way you phrase it - he is [b]wrong[/b][i][/i]. Now that I [b]do[/b][b][/b] disagree with!!

[quote name='4 Strings' post='841026' date='May 18 2010, 04:02 PM']"... but i dunno... i don't want to get bored with the songs before we've even gigged them!!"

I know I've been on this board before recommending people to go and watch Normal Watt-Roy in the Wilko Johnson Band, but I first saw these around 25 years ago (and countless times since) and they are still playing largely the same numbers. How many times can you play 'Roxette' without going mad? But Norman still puts more into his performance than any other bass player I know, he's developed things, changed things about and constantly seeks perfection. He doesn't get tired of the songs, he just gets better, as a result I still want to hear Roxette again!

Greg[/quote]

Yeah but who's going to tell Norm to play things "the same as on the record" or he is wrong?
:)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Starless' post='841637' date='May 19 2010, 03:57 AM']I can't agree with the OP on this one. I suppose it all depends whether you enjoy 'rehearsing' or not. It beats playing on your own along with an iPod, any day. Even though the band might not be the closest of buddies, it is still great to let rip. It's what I joined a band for (playing with others) so I am happy to 'rehearse' anytime for as long as they want, especially as gigs are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. Of course it helps having a rehearsal space that does not have to be paid for, but the OP seemed to be of the opinion that because he has learned his stuff, everyone else should be as perfect as well and not 'waste' his time. Hmmm..

It's a hobby and it's a team game. A hobby that I would gladly do for nothing (even gigging) as we all have day-jobs. You don't see many golfers demanding payment from the golf club for playing on their course - so why should a pub pay us for having a ball? There are thousands of ski-ers out there with expensive kit and horrendous travel costs, but they do it because they get pleasure from it. If I was in a band but baulked at having to actually play together too often, then I would have to seriously question if I had chosen the correct hobby.[/quote]

That's a different point.

We all love to play and let rip, play for the love of it and the adoration of the masses, or just for ourselves and the sheer joy or playing with others in a band, etc., especially when gigs are scarce

However that isn't the subject here.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Starless' post='841637' date='May 19 2010, 03:57 AM']I can't agree with the OP on this one. I suppose it all depends whether you enjoy 'rehearsing' or not. It beats playing on your own along with an iPod, any day. Even though the band might not be the closest of buddies, it is still great to let rip. It's what I joined a band for (playing with others) so I am happy to 'rehearse' anytime for as long as they want, especially as gigs are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. Of course it helps having a rehearsal space that does not have to be paid for, but the OP seemed to be of the opinion that because he has learned his stuff, everyone else should be as perfect as well and not 'waste' his time. Hmmm..

It's a hobby and it's a team game. A hobby that I would gladly do for nothing (even gigging) as we all have day-jobs. You don't see many golfers demanding payment from the golf club for playing on their course - so why should a pub pay us for having a ball? There are thousands of ski-ers out there with expensive kit and horrendous travel costs, but they do it because they get pleasure from it. If I was in a band but baulked at having to actually play together too often, then I would have to seriously question if I had chosen the correct hobby.[/quote]

I enjoy playing at home with an ipod, I enjoy playing with people just to jam, and I REALLY enjoy playing live. Ive been playing in a DIY Hardcore Punk band for 2 years, and we never got any decent payment...EVER. It barely covered our petrol, and normally we lost out. I did it because I love playing. Playing live I really did let rip, believe me. Now Ive moved Ive left that band.

It is a hobby, but it is also possibly to be semi professional and have it as a small income. Plenty of musicians do it. Why should a rock band be paid?! Covers bands are normally always paid, and if they are not, id think they need to start asking for it.

I have another band up here thats my hobby. Its a strange mixture of complex punk mixed with something like Minus the Bear. Very odd. Good fun though. We will never earn. Thats my 'fun' band I do for the sheer hell of loving the whole creation/playing/recording with friends.

If you fill a pub to see your covers/function band, you should be paid. Same with virtually all forms of entertainment. You cannot get in the cinema for free can you?! Just because I enjoy it it shouldnt be free.

What you arent grasping is that with a covers/professional band/function band, SOMEONE is making money, and if its not the band, the bar/promoter is usually taking it! So why is that fair?

Skiing is different. Its not entertainment as such for others, although it definitely can be at a certain level. Its not so easy to be entertainment for others when you ski; its just mainly for your fun. They may well want to see a band though; its more entertaining to a more general slice of the public.

Dont get me wrong, I see where you are coming from, but I cannot have that approach to a band which is partly there to bring in an income.

[quote name='JTUK' post='841652' date='May 19 2010, 07:28 AM']I think the OP was saying that he was frustrated at exensive rehearsals in both time and money and was this the norm?
I'd say the opinion here was that this wasn't normal to rehearse with full band kit, 2 nights a week for 4 months with a gig still a month away.

I think it would have been better if the band decided on its line-up ..decided on a set and then get a gig to aim for....which for pubs and with that sort of rehearsal schedule should have taken about 6 weeks, IMV.

I wouldn't be overjoyed either...[/quote]

Agreed, its overkill at this stage. I could understand it at first, but its almost like they are over-doing it.

[quote name='Conan' post='841675' date='May 19 2010, 08:29 AM']Horses for courses. I play as a hobby too, but not everyone on this forum is a musician purely for pleasure. Some are true professionals and most seem to balance the two - i.e. they play because they enjoy it, have a "day-job", but still expect to be treated with respect and earn some financial recompense. If, for example, I give up an evening with my family to travel to a venue, set up my gear, play my heart out for two hours and not get home till well after midnight - should I not expect the venue to pay me for my time and effort? If we have brought maybe fifty or more people (who would not otherwise have been there) into the venue to drink expensive beverages and contribute to the wealth of the venue owner/landlord/etc.

OK, in some cases I would gig for free - but I would hate to think that all bands would be [b]expected[/b][i][/i] to!!

Its been discussed at great length on other threads whether bands should expect to be paid to play - and its a complex question with many complex answers...

Gareth has explained [b]his[/b][i][/i] situation in detail and why it is irritating him. I think (as do many others on here) that he has a fair point. You are free to disagree of course! But the way you phrase it - he is [b]wrong[/b][i][/i]. Now that I [b]do[/b][b][/b] disagree with!![/quote]

Completely agree. Its our time, and some gigs can be for free. I still think even small original bands with young musicians should STILL be paid, but thats for another topic haha. Someone is making money, and after being a promoter for a short period, I know exactly how much can be made charging £3 for 3 local bands!

Cheers

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='841965' date='May 19 2010, 12:52 PM']?! Are they?[/quote]

[url="http://sunderland.gumtree.com/sunderland/50/58806650.html"]here[/url]

[quote]Bassist wanted, once again we are having problems with our bassist . Surely there is one out there who can rehearse twice a week and have there own equipment. We aren't looking for flea! just someone who can play solid on the bass, who enjoys rehearsing, gigging and has a bit of spare time to be in a band. We play mainly indie anthems and make quite good money .
Based in Sunderland but play throughout the uk.
For more info call or text [i]redacted[/i]
or leave a message here. cheers[/quote]

The mobile phone number is the same as the one [url="http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2498102949"]here[/url].

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

Thats me out. Backstabbing set of t**ts.

Not nice at all, ive spent loads of money rehearsing. Guess they wont be ready for their next two gigs again then.

I will make sure they know I know....and make sure I leave them in the sh**.

To conclude, I didnt even get chance to ask them about this. All I did was explain I had 3 sets of family visiting over the next few weeks so I could only do one session a week. I am also very busy job hunting!

Bit shocked at their appalling lack of honesty.

That makes me look like an idiot.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='841987' date='May 19 2010, 01:10 PM']That makes me look like an idiot.[/quote]

No mate, it makes [i]them[/i] look like idiots.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='841987' date='May 19 2010, 01:10 PM']I will make sure they know I know....and make sure I leave them in the sh**.[/quote]

Post a "bassist available" immediately so that it appears adjacent in the listings. Here's a template to get you started:

[quote]My band have just posted a bassist wanted message on gumtree, which strikes me as a slightly dishonest and cowardly way of firing me. Either way, I'm now available, I've got good equipment, good skills, good taste, and am looking for a band that knows how to use rehearsal time in a productive way.[/quote]

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

Tbh.. I think the demands on time are unreasonable.

I literally do not know anyone that would adhere to that schedule on a semi pro basis - and a few pros- and I'd say I know a lot of players...and I don't think I'd know anyone who would ask that schedule of anyone either.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='841987' date='May 19 2010, 01:10 PM']Thats me out. Backstabbing set of t**ts.

Not nice at all, ive spent loads of money rehearsing. Guess they wont be ready for their next two gigs again then.

I will make sure they know I know....and make sure I leave them in the sh**.

To conclude, I didnt even get chance to ask them about this. All I did was explain I had 3 sets of family visiting over the next few weeks so I could only do one session a week. I am also very busy job hunting!

Bit shocked at their appalling lack of honesty.

That makes me look like an idiot.[/quote]

That's really terrible of them mate, sorry to hear that. And +1 to S.P.'s point, they're the idiots, not you.

[quote name='Conan' post='842039' date='May 19 2010, 01:45 PM']Is this for real?!? :)[/quote]

Yep.

Pro: I found out now, and all of basschat know not to bother with them.

Con: I look daft, and I have now got to find another band.

I am thinking of a mature response to them.

[quote name='Conan' post='842055' date='May 19 2010, 01:53 PM']Jesus. This is like watching a car crash! :)

As SP said, it's them that look like twats Gareth - not you. Bad luck mate. That's Mackems for ya! :rolleyes:[/quote]

TBH, there were issues that I ignored, like the amount of smoking that occurred during practices. Each to their own, but I hate going home stinking of it and more so my girlfriend cannot stand it. I had to wear old clothes after a while. Plus, its a non smoking building and it has young kids in there practicing. Not good.

I really didnt like going to Sunderland. I dont mind the place at all, but the travel was getting on my nerves. I think ill stick to good ol Newcastle hahha.

It was like a car crash. I think this would have happened anyway. I would have given up or just not enjoyed it.

Another issue, they didnt understand I didnt like to leave high end cabs in the practice room. As they all use quite cheap gear (very odd for a band earning) and they really did just throw it about without caring, ive probably saved myself a lot of problems with looking after my equipment.

Hmmm.

What a day!

Sounds like a result.
If you were hanging on of the untold riches and fame brought by that band I suspect you'd have been waiting a long time.

Had it got to the gigging stage I suspect something else would have popped up...

Let us know when it's safe to apply for the gig :) (edit - I mean as a wind-up!)
We coud all do it and then no one show up.

Edited by OldGit

G....

Best out of it, it seems. And as you say it would have been something else soon enough.

And the point about promised riches is right on the money for me...
At this rate they will never get out of that bedroom.

Seriously...you do function work for money ..and of course it can be very enjoyable, but if you have racked up time and money already with no return and not even one in the can..???...that is either VERY cautious or dilussional..IMO.

Waste of your time and money but at least you don't have to honour any commitemnts as it doesn't sound like they have any :) :rolleyes:

I see you wasted no time in editing your signature!! :)

Edited because I can't spell "edited". Still not sure it's right... one t or two?!

Edited again because I meant "editing" not "edited". Think I'll just give up now!

Edited by Conan

That sucks major a$$. Better off without them mate. Let them know that you know, and perhaps hint that their chances of finding a replacement are somewhat deminished by their public outting on basschat for being underhand about it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='842096' date='May 19 2010, 02:23 PM']Let us know when it's safe to apply for the gig :) (edit - I mean as a wind-up!)
We coud all do it and then no one show up.[/quote]

Potentially VERY funny :rolleyes:

[quote name='steviedee' post='842102' date='May 19 2010, 02:27 PM']Yeah mate sounds like you are well out of it, what was the deal with setting up a full PA what a palaver, that would put me off more than the rehearsals if truth be told, completely stupid.[/quote]

The PA issue was CRAZY! I mean, I know I have to know how to use it, but mic'ing a full kit for a rehearsal. I CAN hear the drums thanks, Im STOOD NEXT TO THEM.

[quote name='JTUK' post='842108' date='May 19 2010, 02:34 PM']G....

Best out of it, it seems. And as you say it would have been something else soon enough.

And the point about promised riches is right on the money for me...
At this rate they will never get out of that bedroom.

Seriously...you do function work for money ..and of course it can be very enjoyable, but if you have racked up time and money already with no return and not even one in the can..???...that is either VERY cautious or dilussional..IMO.

Waste of your time and money but at least you don't have to honour any commitemnts as it doesn't sound like they have any :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Im kinda a little upset that people can be like this who you learn to try and trust. Im quite relieved in very strange way. Ive not said anything to them yet. Im either just going to ignore everything or send them a mature and stern email.

[quote name='Conan' post='842124' date='May 19 2010, 02:48 PM']I see you wasted no time in editing your signature!! :lol:

Edited because I can't spell "edited". Still not sure it's right... one t or two?!

Edited again because I meant "editing" not "edited". Think I'll just give up now![/quote]

Hahah, no time like the present good sir! Ive already applied for another band.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='841988' date='May 19 2010, 01:13 PM']No mate, it makes [i]them[/i] look like idiots.

Post a "bassist available" immediately so that it appears adjacent in the listings.

S.P.[/quote]

Cheers, I used the template. Lets see what happens. All good fun.