Why become a member? ×

Build Diary - RIM Marseer 6 Custom

pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='975310' date='Oct 2 2010, 07:03 PM']I find them pretty soft under finger but the sound is by no means soft. I originally went from mediums to light to try and reduce friction as I have sensitive little fingers :) Through my search the Overwaters were the smoothest feeling of all of them. There is great string tension, but the way they are wound just works so well, almost like they are coated... But they aren't. OW strings are one of those things in the bass world that I don't understand as to why everyone doesn't use them.

Cost & performance to me nothing comes close.[/quote]

[b]Sold[/b]
I'll definitely give them a go next then dude, may as well pop some on the Shuker too, as I'm going to try and give it a proper set up, get the action a lot lower, like me ACG.
Now lets get back to drooling at that bass </sidetrack> :lol:

Eude

Lol. Cool. Let me know what you think. I know very few people that use them as you don't see them anywhere... Only way to try them is to take a punt like I did. I would be nice to know my thoughts on them are mirrored by others. If they get popular though I'd better stock up before the price rockets :)

Yeah... Back to the Marseer! Hopefully not too long now. Checking the set up, finalising the neck profile, which seems like it's 99% already, sprayshop, electrics, final set up... Then mine!!!!!! :lol:

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='975959' date='Oct 3 2010, 01:48 PM']HURRY UP WITH IT! haha. I keep checking back to this build diary every day because I want to see the finished article

I've gotta say this is one of the most stunning basses I have ever seen. How much is it costing you in all?[/quote]

I know mate... Can't wait. Robbies clearly excelled himself on this one, with so many people checking the thread so often. Also had lots of people send me messages about the bass, it really seems to be rustling some feathers!

I'm sure Robbie appreciates all the comments and feedback as well. The more the merrier...

Also PM'd you bud.

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='976529' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:00 PM']What sort of finish is going on this? Oiled? Poly?[/quote]

Couple of layers of oil to bring out the wood, then off for lacquer. Not high gloss though, just enough to make it pretty. Robbie will prob fill us in on the exact details. Oil is Arm R Seal is the oil if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='976551' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:15 PM']Couple of layers of oil to bring out the wood, then off for lacquer. Not high gloss though, just enough to make it pretty. Robbie will prob fill us in on the exact details. Oil is Arm R Seal is the oil if I'm not mistaken.[/quote]

Satin. Nice.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='976575' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:36 PM']Satin...[/quote]

... Is exactly the word I was struggling to find last night! :)

I was however making the bit up about lacquering... We have decided with satin oil finish and wax! :lol:

Edited by pantherairsoft

PM'd - next week ain't so hot, but we can certainly try and sort something out soon.

You're of course welcome to give the fretless another go :) I do love that thing to bits... not literally of course... that would defeat the purpose of it.

Out of interest, what size frets are on this beast?

Sure, I can understand your sentiments overall. I just like to be able to feel the fretboard as much as possible as I play hence the mandolin frets. It makes me feel like I have a stronger connection to the instrument. Hence another reason I love fretless.

I can understand that! I live my fretless too.

I guess I want clear separation between my fretted & fretless basses. I treat them as separate instruments and like the fact the fretted 'doesn't' feel like the fretless. Although I can totally understand the reverse of that and why you love mandolin frets!

While they are different instruments, I am a single musician, and so I want to (in a sense) draw all my instruments together to be more physically similar than different. While they may sound different (and I welcome that), and I'll approach each one slightly differently, I like the idea that consistency and unity of the instruments are conducive towards 'my voice' on them.