Why become a member? ×

Pingray

Ou7shined

I made me a new bass.
[b]The Pingray[/b] (I hated the name to begin with but it's been bandied around so much now that I've gotten used to it :rolleyes:)

The concept was formed around putting [b]Stingray[/b] and [b]P[/b] pickups into one guitar in their [b]authentic positions[/b] to see what happens when you combine the 2 classic tones.

Ingredients:

Genuine MusicMan Stingray pup
Delano PMVC 4 FE/M2 pup
Seymour Duncan STC-2P 2-band (@ 18v)

Fender Jazz body (stripped, plugged and re-routed)
Dr Parts P neck (corrected and refinished to a high standard)

White nitro primer
Surf Green nitro
Clear Gloss nitro (body & headstock face)
Clear Satin (neck)

Badass III
Hipshot tuners, de-tuner & string retainer
Genuine MusicMan Stingray pickguard
Chrome knobs by ACG

The controls are vol > blend > concentric bass and treble.

No mechanical apparatus (apart from drills) were used in the construction, everything including the p/g was done with traditional hand tools - chisels, files, sanding blocks etc.

As mentioned the 'ray pup is exactly in the MM sweet spot (as dictated by the p/g) and the E/A section of the Delano is millimetre perfect to standard Fender P position - the D/G section would have crossed over the MM pup territory so I reversed it à la the Sandberg P series, only using the afore mentioned spacings instead of Sandberg's. The one-off control plate is made from Spanish Cedar and finished to match the body.

The 'ray pup soloed through the SD pre-amp with bass up full and treble rolled back a tad from full bangs out a very recognisable punchy 2eq Stingray sound. Soloed, the Delano using the same eq settings gives a very powerful and clear P bass tone with masses of bottom. Centre the blend then offer a little extra 'ray bias to the mix and omfg Pingray!

The bass made it's debut at the Moffat bash and apparently blew some minds.... both aesthetically and tonally.
Which was nice! :)

Cheers guys. :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='828133' date='May 5 2010, 08:30 AM']And all done with a chisel. Nice work fella.[/quote]
Yup chipped away at it with this bad boy.
[attachment=48949:pingray026.jpg]

I think you get a much better feel for the wood than just ripping in with a router... and it is far more accurate (unless you have CNC)

Fabulous work there, at first I thought it was a Sandberg. I've tried this p/up combo (on a Sandberg) and it really works well.

Perhaps it should be The Pinjray.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' post='828669' date='May 5 2010, 05:02 PM']Fabulous work there, at first I thought it was a Sandberg. I've tried this p/up combo (on a Sandberg) and it really works well.

Perhaps it should be The Pinjray.[/quote]
Cheers. Yeah the Sandberg's use P shaped bodies for that range though.

Pinjray. I like it. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='828960' date='May 5 2010, 08:53 PM']That is stunning - Really nice work! :) You really ought to go into business building those and selling them, if only part time.

How much would a commission come to, btw?[/quote]
Ha ha cheers. Don't think I haven't thought about it.
But we worked out at Moffat that parts and a very conservative 20hr estimate on labour (it was easily 3x that) at everyday rates came to £500... and that was using the actual costs of my second hand parts. :rolleyes: I'd hate to think what brand new parts and genuine labour costs would bring it up to - you can really see where pro luthiers get their big prices from. Having said that at the moment I genuinely feel this is better than any bass I've ever owned (I just can't put it down and it is inspiring me to play in new ways) so it might be worth it. The only thing I could improve upon would be the neck - I'd love a 'ray width neck for it.

[quote name='neepheid' post='829432' date='May 6 2010, 11:18 AM']Your sig is getting crowded again mannie :rolleyes:[/quote]
:blush:

[quote name='KERMITNT' post='829502' date='May 6 2010, 12:22 PM']awsome bass leo would be pround bravo[/quote]
Thanks.
I like to think I'm just carrying on where he left off. :)

[quote name='skelf' post='829573' date='May 6 2010, 01:29 PM']Heard this bass at the bash and despite ou7's playing it sounded great. :)[/quote]
Oh ha ha. :rolleyes:
Libellous comments aside, coming from the guy that produces some of the best sounding basses known to man, that's a huge compliment. Thanks. :blush:

[quote name='cocco' post='831605' date='May 8 2010, 05:29 PM']Jesus man! thats the coolest thing ever, Its nice to see someone getting some use out of that Delano. I hated it.[/quote]
Cheers man.
I remember just before firing it up for the first time thinking about how you didn't get on with it and hoping it would be ok and being surprised at how great it actually is. I'm totally over the moon with it. Why did you hate it again? Did you have it going through a pre?

No, that was the problem, i wanted one sound from the bass it was in so a pre woulda been out of place. I have since put an SPB -3 in said bass and I'm now over the moon with the one tone wonder. I'm glad you're happy though. If you ever want to sell it hit me up. I think this could be my perfect bass :)