Why become a member? ×

P bass straight into the PA...

wesfinn

Recently (due to lazyness mainly) I have been plugging my P bass straight into the Desk and running out of the PA. The sound is incredible, no messing about just a flat signal. It sits so well in the mix in the country rock band I'm playing with. I might just retire my amp set up which I have spent years trying to put the right combination together! It sure is a lot easier to just carry bass around. anyone else a fan of this?

Guest MoJo

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='826976' date='May 3 2010, 11:30 PM']I used to carry an ART Z-Direct for this very same reason.

But i missed the back of my pants flapping.[/quote]

Have you thought about developping a flatulence problem?

[quote name='Sibob' post='826985' date='May 3 2010, 11:35 PM']Can't think of anything worse than having no backline!
Horrible!

Si[/quote]

I will probably retract this all next rehearsal for my pop band and use the aguilar rig. I just havn't plugged it in for ages! haha

[quote name='OldGit' post='827099' date='May 4 2010, 08:42 AM']Is this a large PA with monitors? How do your hear yourself?[/quote]

Good questions.

I find that P and J basses sound great plugged straight into the desk. The only problem is ensuring you can hear yourself from venue to venue.

The country band I play with is small venues/just for fun kind of gigs so the PA is never amazing but its been fine so far. I could get away with it with any venue with my session stuff as we use in ear monitoring, though they do insist that I use an amp.

This is becoming my standard setup -

Bass > GK MB2 500 (used as pre-amp)> Desk (Soundcraft Vi 1) > monitor mix (Wedge or IEM Venue dependant) JBL SRX 712m

I'm finding this works really well, I'm using the Sennehsier IE8 IEM units that work really well for this application

J

[quote name='wesfinn' post='827157' date='May 4 2010, 09:56 AM']The country band I play with is small venues/just for fun kind of gigs so the PA is never amazing but its been fine so far. I could get away with it with any venue with my session stuff as we use in ear monitoring, though they do insist that I use an amp.[/quote]

IEM's? ah OK.

I just couldn't put all my faith into in-house monitors, some of the places I've played couldn't handle any type of bass frequency!
Rather just cover all bases and take my amp!
In-ears are a bit different, but I'd still miss the air being moved behind me!

Si

I stopped using backline as far as possible towards the close of my gigging career. The major advantages were (i) less hassle and gear to carry, and (ii) fantastic sound. The bands I was working with used great engineers/PA companies and the direct sound (a Status Series II or Gibson Ripper into a DI box) was just amazing - almost a spritual uplift. A combination of side-fills and wedges was more than sufficient for monitoring (this was years ago, long before IEM). Should I ever get tempted back into gigging (mightily unlikely), the backline free route would be my favoured approach. The best bass tones I've ever achieved have been without backline.

Edited by lozbass

I think for your average weekend warrior trying to get FoH for bass and IEM's to work for all venues and all members of the band is hard.

Our drummer is talking about using IEM's for monitoring rather than his wedge. Problem is there's no bass in the monitors we don't all want the same mix in our wedges that he wants in his IEM's.

It just seems very complicated.

Plus I want the bass sound I hear to be under my control.

[quote name='OldGit' post='827402' date='May 4 2010, 01:23 PM']I think for your average weekend warrior trying to get FoH for bass and IEM's to work for all venues and all members of the band is hard.

Our drummer is talking about using IEM's for monitoring rather than his wedge. Problem is there's no bass in the monitors we don't all want the same mix in our wedges that he wants in his IEM's.

It just seems very complicated.

Plus I want the bass sound I hear to be under my control.[/quote]

I think it depends on how many mixes you need really.... also how many sends/Aux you have on your desk to handle the mixes. The funk band I play with have now moved over to rehearsing with IEMS completely..... it's fantastic as the drummer can use his Roland kit and we all get an overall mix. sound quality is fab and we can rehearse in my studio at the back of my house till into the early hours without disturbing anyone

[quote name='crez5150' post='827418' date='May 4 2010, 01:37 PM']I think it depends on how many mixes you need really.... also how many sends/Aux you have on your desk to handle the mixes. The funk band I play with have now moved over to rehearsing with IEMS completely..... it's fantastic as the drummer can use his Roland kit and we all get an overall mix. sound quality is fab and we can rehearse in my studio at the back of my house till into the early hours without disturbing anyone[/quote]

More than we have and more PA ooomph than we have too :)

Hmmmm, sound engineers do tend to put a lot of compression on bass. That's ok with the louder stuff but the last time I D.I'd and just used monitors onstage to hear myself there were no dynamics. However quietly I played all I could hear was bass guitar drowning everything else out. Of course that may have just been the sound guy being a bit heavy handed with the compressor but I do like a bit of control over my level onstage.

Edited by gjones