Why become a member? ×

Anyone know whats happening with Lakland?

Have just been on [url="http://www.lakland.com/basses.htm"]Lakland's Site[/url] and they have no more signature models. They are all code based now. I know Darryl Jones was no longer affiliated with Lakland, but they are all gone Scheff, Duck Dunn, Joe Osbourne. I know it sucks paying the artists royalties, but at the end of the day they sell instruments for them.

Anyone know whats happening?

PS. Does this make my Duck Dunn Bass worth more?

perhaps the endorsee deals are with the old company and new ones need to be drawn up under the new company details? If so then this should be temporary unless there's some savings to be made.

Bit pants that they are using numbers instead of names. Glad in a way as I have to be frank inthat I don't know who half their endorsees are so it would be bizarre to me to buy a bass with someone's name on it and don't know who they are.

It can't be far off time for me to experiment with Lakland, Sadowsky et al as they are the few bass companies that I have never tried their products

Edited by Delberthot

Definately look into the Lakland Skyline series. In my opinion they are the best for Fender style basses, for playability, sound and quality (and i work for a Fender dealer!)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='825721' date='May 2 2010, 06:13 PM']perhaps the endorsee deals are with the old company and new ones need to be drawn up under the new company details? If so then this should be temporary unless there's some savings to be made.

Bit pants that they are using numbers instead of names. Glad in a way as I have to be frank inthat I don't know who half their endorsees are so it would be bizarre to me to buy a bass with someone's name on it and don't know who they are.

It can't be far off time for me to experiment with Lakland, Sadowsky et al as they are the few bass companies that I have never tried their products[/quote]

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='825767' date='May 2 2010, 06:59 PM']Definately look into the Lakland Skyline series. In my opinion they are the best for Fender style basses, for playability, sound and quality (and i work for a Fender dealer!)[/quote]

Have to say that my favourite Precision is my Bob Glaub, too. I've got a Duck Dunn incoming (can't wait!), too, based upon the quality and playability of the Bob Glaub.

The thing that did it for me (and maybe I was just lucky) is that the 3 Bob Glaub's I've played have been almost identical in quality and tone. I wish I could say that about all of the Fender's I've owned....

You are so correct. Lakland's are flawless and consistent. I have played some new Fenders that have rivaled a Lakland, but they are STILL Hit and Miss. I think the Dunn and Glaub are similar apart from the Neck? I love the feel of the Jazz neck on my Dunn.

[quote name='tredders' post='826370' date='May 3 2010, 12:34 PM']Have to say that my favourite Precision is my Bob Glaub, too. I've got a Duck Dunn incoming (can't wait!), too, based upon the quality and playability of the Bob Glaub.

The thing that did it for me (and maybe I was just lucky) is that the 3 Bob Glaub's I've played have been almost identical in quality and tone. I wish I could say that about all of the Fender's I've owned....[/quote]

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='826756' date='May 3 2010, 07:19 PM']You are so correct. Lakland's are flawless and consistent. I have played some new Fenders that have rivaled a Lakland, but they are STILL Hit and Miss. I think the Dunn and Glaub are similar apart from the Neck? I love the feel of the Jazz neck on my Dunn.[/quote]
Unfortunately it seems they are neither flawless nor consistent. My Decade which came directly from Lakland is flawless but Musicman20 (Gareth) has seen a series of not up to standard Laklands in UK shops. He refers to it here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86456"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86456[/url]; and elsewhere. He may be along in a minute to tell us more.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='826770' date='May 3 2010, 07:36 PM']Unfortunately it seems they are neither flawless nor consistent. My Decade which came directly from Lakland is flawless but Musicman20 (Gareth) has seen a series of not up to standard Laklands in UK shops. He refers to it here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86456"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86456[/url]; and elsewhere. He may be along in a minute to tell us more.[/quote]

Unfortunately, it's true. I was trying to find that one that ticked all the boxes, and sure they all had great style, consistent tone, and brilliant necks. BUT, I could not find one out of around 5/6 (I forget how many as I was getting annoyed by this point) that didn't have a major QC issue. Yep, some of the new and old Fenders are the same, but I was frankly shocked to find a more expensive instrument had such obvious problems. Eg, frets sprouting in the binding, pickguard not fitted straight, pickup pieces not in line with strings, paint defects, one of them had a Lakland logo that was on a big slant (so the painted inside part was well out of the lines). The last one I tried had two of the rings on the back of the body (string through area) hanging about 4mm out so not flush with the body. This meant they scraped against you whilst you played it!

Worst problem was weight...half of them must have been around 12-14lbs.

Don't get me wrong, if I found one without problems I'd buy it, and I told Dan about it. He was shocked and annoyed at his factory and offered to help, then they changed hands 2 months later.

If they were cheaper, I could understand, but two of them I tried retailed for £1200!!!