Why become a member? ×

Gig Bags

Bilbo

[quote name='Jase' post='89725' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:41 AM']Don't mean to be ignorant chaps :) ...but why don't you use a hard case, any particular reason? Just wondering why you opt for a gig bag rather than the more protective hard case.[/quote]
Well...

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='89730' date='Nov 17 2007, 01:19 AM']I have a Hiscox case, and it is rather impractical if you're putting in a car (keeps sliding around) or on public transport (too bulky).[/quote]
[quote name='pete.young' post='89787' date='Nov 17 2007, 10:26 AM']it can be carried like a rucksack where a hard case can't, it will fit in the boot of the car when a hard case won't unless I put the back seats down, and if it goes inside it won't destroy the interior.[/quote]
...+1 what they just said. :huh:

[quote name='Jase' date='Nov 20 2007, 01:02 PM' post='91432']
Nah...you're all barking mad using a soft case for your bass :huh:

MB1. :huh:

+TWELVETY.....
Its only a matter of time before it ends in tears!......Id be dubious about.... One carefull owner!,Gig bag included! :)

basses aren't really that fragile though. Maybe if you're in a horrific car crash your bass with be knackered, but, you've just come out of a near death experience, probably not that bothered about your bass. Even if it was in a hard case it might not have been saved.

I've never been able to afford a hardcase for my bass, as i've always had more pressing things to buy. I've never had any problems with my basses, they get thrown around quite a bit in my car, get squashed between amps and stuff. I know this is going to sound horrific to some of you, but there's no damage.

Don't be so protective or your bass will never have any balls!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='91506' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:42 PM']basses aren't really that fragile though. Maybe if you're in a horrific car crash your bass with be knackered, but, you've just come out of a near death experience, probably not that bothered about your bass. Even if it was in a hard case it might not have been saved.

I've never been able to afford a hardcase for my bass, as i've always had more pressing things to buy. I've never had any problems with my basses, they get thrown around quite a bit in my car, get squashed between amps and stuff. I know this is going to sound horrific to some of you, but there's no damage.

Don't be so protective or your bass will never have any balls![/quote]

:huh: Squashed between amps and stuff :huh: get thrown around quite a bit :huh: I bet your bass has some serious mojo :)

'I have been gigging without hard cases for over 20 years and not so much as a scratch - I guess taking care of your instrument is as much a state of mind as it is a single purchase.'

Driving so fast that you roll your car is not what I would call taking care of [i]yourself[/i] never mind your instrument!! :huh: Hard cases are overrated! :huh: I have one for each bass and guitar I have. I use them for guitars (acoustic and semi-acoustic) because they ARE fragile :) but the bass is not going to get damaged unless I accidently leave it under the wheels of my car. As I always check the contents of the vehicle before I drive off, this is unlikely.... :huh:

[quote name='Jase' post='91515' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:50 PM']:huh: Squashed between amps and stuff :huh: get thrown around quite a bit :huh: I bet your bass has some serious mojo :)[/quote]
No, that's what i'm saying, it's in it's soft case (warwick rockbag) and it doesn't have a scratch!

[quote name='cheddatom' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:42 PM' post='91506']
basses aren't really that fragile though. Maybe if you're in a horrific car crash your bass with be knackered, but, you've just come out of a near death experience, probably not that bothered about your bass. Even if it was in a hard case it might not have been saved.

Don't be so protective or your bass will never have any balls!

MB1. :)
Now tell me friends!.... would you buy a 1980 JAYDEE supernatural ...off this man?.......One Careful Owner.....Plenty of balls!.....Indeed! :huh:

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='90223' date='Nov 18 2007, 12:43 PM']I always gig with two basses not because I might break a string (I have never in 30 years broken a string in a performance situation) but if something goes wrong electronically or tonally one bass might work better than another. (To date only one battery failure and that's due to me not checking)

I always travel with two cases, and have a useless Fender badged double bag..., so I am ordering this:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_double_bag_trolley_ebass.htm?partner_id=47692"]<a href="http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_double_bag...artner_id=47692" target="_blank">http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_double_bag...artner_id=47692[/url]</a>

They are available in the UK now, I think Dolphin's are the cheapest. £60 or thereabouts[/quote]

Have you got it yet? I was thinking of one too ..

You'd want to inspect the condition of the thing, obviously, but it's not as though my I could do any damage that wouldn't be obvious enough to see. Either way, if you like my 1980 JAYDEE supernatural (no idea what this is) when you play it, you had better buy it and stop worrying about how it's been treated in the past. I could have used it as a masturbation receptical for all you know, but at least I cleaned it off before trying to sell it. It still plays the same.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='91506' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:42 PM']basses aren't really that fragile though. Maybe if you're in a horrific car crash your bass with be knackered, but, you've just come out of a near death experience, probably not that bothered about your bass. Even if it was in a hard case it might not have been saved.

Don't be so protective or your bass will never have any balls![/quote]

You have to watch out for a bass in a gig bag. I use them all the time but I am always aware that some drunk audient may fall on it one night.

In a Hiscox you can stack stuff on it, the drummer can drop his stand case on it and it will survive if that drunk spills his pint on it or get s pushed into the band's gear pile during clear up time ...

[quote name='cheddatom' date='Nov 20 2007, 03:20 PM' post='91541']
You'd want to inspect the condition of the thing, obviously, but it's not as though my I could do any damage that wouldn't be obvious enough to see. Either way, if you like my 1980 JAYDEE supernatural (no idea what this is) when you play it, you had better buy it and stop worrying about how it's been treated in the past. I could have used it as a masturbation receptical for all you know, but at least I cleaned it off before trying to sell it. It still plays the same.

MB1. :)

Very few people are ever going to give you large amounts of money for an instrument that looks like youve been hanging pictures with it.If it looks badly damaged,this reflects on previous owners(who probably have been using it as a masturbation receptical?).Something definately tells me you are not the person i would want to buy a second hand headless Status from, with these strange sexual practices?. :huh:

Heh, most amusing. Even without the tuning pegs, I still think that'd be too painful.

But seriously, when I take my bass to gigs, I store it in a safe, dry place in it's soft case where it won't get hurt. I take it out of the bag to play, put it back in after, put it in the car with either a load of heavy amps (so it looks a little squashed) , or with nothing (so it rattles around a bit). I'm not saying I treat it badly, i'm just saying that I think you lot would think I treat it badly. I would have no problem selling my bass, as it's in absolutely perfect condition, regardless of what it's been through.

You're probably restricting yourself from getting some bargains if you don't even look at a bass 'cos it's in a gig bag and not a hard case.

I think this is a macho thing. Hard cases for hard blokes who eat hard food like hot curries and watch hard films with Steven Segal in and grow hard plants like cactii and drive hard cars like 4wds and have hard 9 string basses and play hard music like metal and wear hard leather and ride hard bikes like Harleys and do hard sports like snowboarding and tombstoning and stuff and beat you up for looking at them and drink hard drinks like Stella and cider and wear black.

Thing.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='91566' date='Nov 20 2007, 04:02 PM']I think this is a macho thing. Hard cases for hard blokes who eat hard food like hot curries and watch hard films with Steven Segal in and grow hard plants like cactii and drive hard cars like 4wds and have hard 9 string basses and play hard music like metal and wear hard leather and ride hard bikes like Harleys and do hard sports like snowboarding and tombstoning and stuff and beat you up for looking at them and drink hard drinks like Stella and cider and wear black.

Thing.[/quote]

Okay then.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='91581' date='Nov 20 2007, 04:21 PM']Heh, I wouldn't go that far! If I could afford hard cases, i'd get them as I drive to my gigs/practices and have a large car. I'm just pointing out that using gig bags doesn't mean you have to treat your bass like a baby or it will get damaged.[/quote]

Hard case £40, delivered. Thats two sets of strings or, what, 6 pints of beer?
[url="http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=3948-3980"]http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/...sp?id=3948-3980[/url]
Daft not to, really