Why become a member? ×

MAG Vs. ABM

JCplayer

Hey, I'm relatively new to bass [been playing guitar for about 10years prior] but I'm hooked. I started because I joined a mates band who were in need. I first bought a s/h Hughes Kettner Bassforce 300 [laugh away] as a first amp simple because cash was tight and it seemed to tick all the boxes, untill i used it for a couple of weeks. Anyway now I've got a bit of cash together i've dying to upgrade. I've tried out Ampegs, Peaveys, GKs, Fenders, but I love the Ashdown tone, with my Jack Cassidy it's just amazing, the only problem is the volume. I'm not a great judge of this, especially in a small guitar shop corridoor.

I've narrowed down my search to either a [b][b]Mag 300 Evo II 210[/b] combo with a Mag 210 cab attatched[/b] OR, because i'm willing to spend a bit more for reliability, a [b]straight ABM Evo III 210 combo[/b].

The mag+cab should give me the same wattage as the ABM on it's own but I'm still weary about volume. The band is a 6-piece rock back; 3 valve amped guitars, drums, keys and vocals, and we practice LOUD!

Basically, all I want is to be able to hold my own in practice [gigs i'm less worried about as most places seem dead keen on running the bass amp through the PA anyway].

I need to take luggability into account aswell because my car's not massive and I'm not built like a roadie so a head/cab rig's not really on the cards.

I found my ABM to be much louder than my MAG and they were rated at the same volume...

I'm using an ABM EVO II 300 with the Mini 48 and 115 cabs and its plenty loud enough to compete with 2 guitar valve amps and we play very loud. I am in the market for an Orange Bass Terror now, you might want to check one out :)

What is your overall budget?

I love Ashdowns (have 2 ABMs), but I wouldn't buy a new one. Seek out an older, UK made, pre-EVO series 500 watt ABM head (£250-300 should get you one) and get yourself a decent cab or 2 within budget (you could pick up the mini pairing Shire has for under £400 used). Don't buy new. Buy here (i.e from Basschat members).

If you want to buy new I'd go with the Orange Terror bass (I'm seriously considering one myself!).

If you're practising that loud also consider some decent hearing protection...

I'll have a gander round the sale forums.

Like I said before I'm definitely tempted by the Terror but it's just a case of affording a decent cab to go along with it, maybe I'll find one on here.

Budget's in the region of about 500-600 quid, maybe push it another ton if needs me, basically I'm hoping whatever I end up with it'll last me a good [b]long[/b] while. The band's got a few open air gigs coming up in the next few months too so I'm looking for gear that will hold up through them.

I've got some cracking ear protection by the way, no worries there.

Having owned a Mag set up - similar to the one you describe, and also ABM rig..... I'd recommend that you save yourself a later upgrade and go straight for an ABM 500. It should be plenty loud enough with 210 or 115, and you could always add another cab later if you feel the need. Don't know whether the older (UK) ones are really "better" - there seem to be different points of view about that. All I can say is that I've got a newer (ROC) version and its been great. But, if I were buying again - I'd definately go second hand (from here), and probably look at EVO2 from the best-value perspective.

Haven't tried the OBT- but I'm sure that would be a good alternative too.

Well there's loads of options if you can get an ABM for good money, less so if you go for the Orange BT, but if weight isn't a big concern (and you have the room to transport it) you could consider one of the Peavey 4x10s. They're cheap as chips second hand and pretty bullet proof. Always been a fan of them for the money, more so than any of the full size Ashdown cabs.

Edited by Bigwan

ive got an older abm 500 head and its superb imo.i use an abm 1x15 compact cab along with a 2x10 ashdown classic neo cab.and the two together sound very good indeed.The 1x15 compact can always be picked up secondhand at a good price and are much better than the bigger abm 1x15.you might struggle to find ashdowns classic range available secondhand but they have dropped in price on most online stores.

I'd look for a UK ABM. Aside from the quality difference, the EQ and valve drive will really help you out in such a dense mix. A 2x10 [i]should[/i] be loud enough, unless you're practicing at really stupid volumes.

3 guitarists? Really? :rolleyes: :)

In fact: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86512"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86512[/url]

Edited by Protium

Have you seen the Dr Bass 1580 that is for sale on here? Not Ashdown but they are generally very well regarded. If you do a quick search though you will see a lot of very negative press, all regarding failed or late orders. Clearly you wont need to worry about that with a second hand one!
I'm very tempted to buy it myself and would have already if it was 4 Ohms. Cant really justify it now having recently bought a Barefaced Compact. Doubt it would leave you wanting for volume!

3 guitars and a drummer. You'll find your self struggle with a 2x10 combo.

The orange bass terror is a beast, but you'll have to add another few hundred quid to your budget to get a decent enough cab to use all that wattage.

Ashdown little giant is a small powerhouse and maybe £300 used and you couldpick up a used awesome cab from the for sale section for the same monies. Although the downside is you won't get the full wattage with one cab.

I used to own the MAG 300 2x10 combo with an ABM 15 ext cab. When I disconnected the combo speaker and played through the ABM cab the difference is sound quality was quite astounding (differences between 2x10 and 1x15 notwithstanding) but I couldn't always be bothered to cart them both around. Last night I played a small gig where the backline was provided and it was an ABM head through ABM 15" cab (didn't really have time to inspect it as we had a 10 minute turn around!) and this was even better.

But like a lot of gear it is subjective and, for my ears, I prefer the Trace Elliot sound - I bought a late pre-Gibson Trace Elliot rig and sadly the Ashdown was history...

I've got an 300watt ABM 1x15 combo and i find i'm often running out of headroom playing in a band with one other guitar. My friend however has a 200watt mag 4x10 combo and that comfrtably competes with 2 guitars in his band. I've used it too and it has much more power.
Its all down to surface area of speakers, and a 4x10 has nearly twice as much as a 1x15. If you go for a 2x10 combo you will need the extension cab.

Personally i would go head& cab route with a small 4x10 as the 4x10 would be not much bigger than the combo but lighter, then you just got the head which is easy.

Oh and go for the ABM if you can they have the valve preamp and sound much nicer