Why become a member? ×

I've only got one bass!

Bilbo

for many years I only had one bass- Hohner Steinberger 5 string stick.
after a few years lay off from bass I'm back and more interested in different types of bass, tones, pick up combos etc.
I now own three and i'm building a fourth. Having realised that the Hohner wasn't the bass for me I'm determinned to play the field before I settle down with one (maybe two) (or three) basses again.

I'm down to my sadowsky modern 5 string and an upright. I love the consistant sound from the sadowsky and think I could do 95% of gigs using this bass.
However there will always be times I could do with a spare when mine in for a set up etc, but I'm not in a rush to buy anything else.

You'll want to be getting a backup... the caps on the Wal circuit boards of that vintage aren't the best and WILL give up (that's from Pete himself). It's only a matter of time...

Or you could just get them replaced and be happy for another 20 odd years!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='821901' date='Apr 28 2010, 02:02 PM']You'll want to be getting a backup... the caps on the Wal circuit boards of that vintage aren't the best and WILL give up (that's from Pete himself). It's only a matter of time...[/quote]

I would worry about that if I had the faintest idea what it meant. :)

At one point i owned 6 basses. i now own 3.

One is my old Yamaha RBX765A, my first gigging bass, my first 5 string, my first big purchase as a child. Did every gig for 5 years. Doesn't play anymore, but it's hardly going anywhere is it?!

One is a homemade acoustic fretless. bassically a length of wood glued to a small acoustic guitar body. home noodling fun!

And then THE ONE. My custom Shuker. Had it just over 6 years now, don't need anything else and at the moment i don't have enough money for things i don't need, so it's the only one. However i like basses, it's a hobby, so i'd never restrict myself to one [i]just[/i] because thats all thats necessary.

[quote name='Beedster' post='820830' date='Apr 27 2010, 04:45 PM']I've only got two now, one fretted and one fretless, and it's actually quite nice. Amazing how much you can squeeze out of a bass when it's your only choice

C[/quote]

Well said the man in the corner with pair of lovely P`s!! :) :rolleyes:

I`ve got 4 at the mo and really I only need 2. One main and a spare for gigs. At one point I had 9 but have come to my senses!

The only man with more basses than talent.

I honestly think I'm GAS free (for the moment). I've finally admitted what I've really known for years that I'm wedded to those damn StingRay things. I have a four and a five - I could get by with either to be honest but I still haven't got my head around the 4/5 thing. I also have two Precisions, one fretted and one fretless. When you want Precision sound you need a Precision :)