Why become a member? ×

Shuker - Throwoffs dream bass!

throwoff

OK guys!

I finally got the final quote etc and organised when I am sending the 40% to get my dream bass built.
Even though I'm still waiting to pay there is already no backing out for me as I am literally wetting my pants with excitement!

SO here it is the 'Hark Moppus' Signature!

Bascially its a Mark Hoppus Fender sig but left handed! Plus I am having the hot pink colour like his models not the shell pink from the production ones and blue LED's just for the madness of it!.

Alder J body
Polyester basecoat
Hot pink colour coat [url="http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp"]http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp[/url] - RAL 4010
Gloss finish
White pearloid s/plate, inc control plate area
Seymour Duncan quarterpounder P pickup
volume control
String thru fender style bridge

P style neck
34"scale
20 frets
jumbo fretwire
maple neck
rosewood f/board
9.5" radius
two way truss rod
p bass dimensions (1.625 nut) modern profile
Blue LED front face markers
MOP side dots
schaller BML keys (fender style)
Bone Nut
satin lacquer finish

I'm fairly certain this will be pretty much to no-ones taste! But its been my dream bass since I first started playing!
Updates to come!

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='peted' post='819225' date='Apr 26 2010, 12:43 PM']Sounds like a very practical spec which will look great on stage. Look forward to seeing the first pictures :)[/quote]

Practical being the key word!

I'm a cack handed git at the best of times and having nothing more than a volume to worry about will no doubt assist me greatly!

I'm glad I joined BC more than ever today if I hadn't I would never of learnt of Jon and his fantastic approach, I gotta say thus far his comms have been more than exemplary, making sure EVERY detail was 100% locked down.

Plus come on! Its bright f***in pink!

[quote name='Tait' post='820913' date='Apr 27 2010, 05:57 PM']that sounds great! i've always loved the mark hoppus bass, and this sounds great! make sure to update with any pictures or anything you get. i'm looking forward to seeing this built.[/quote]

Cheers dude, Im hoping to send the deposit next month, I actually live out of the UK so if anyone else is heading over to see Jon later this year I might ask you to snap some shots for me.

[quote name='throwoff' post='818952' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:02 AM']Hot pink colour coat [url="http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp"]http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp[/url] - RAL 4010[/quote]

Heh heh! Superb! That's gonna stand out alright! - Here's an advanced 'welcome to the Shuker club' err..welcome!

• 1 month later...

it took him a couple of weeks and he actually had to reforward and email he had already reforwarded once!

You can tell by reading it that he tried to send it 3 times before I got it on the fourth! He has been having issues with his email.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='880843' date='Jun 29 2010, 12:24 PM']He was having e-mail problems 7 years ago. I think it's more he's a technophobe than anything else :)[/quote]

He gets a load of SPAM as his email address is just sat there plain as day on his website, it ain't SPAM protected in any way, so he gets 100s of unsolicited emails daily. As a result of that, his Junk Mail filter is set uber high which means he quite often misses emails, as they get accidentally junked.
I did explain to him how to fix it, but he's obviously not had the time, but it'd save him a lot of time in the long run!...

Eude

[quote name='throwoff' post='819273' date='Apr 26 2010, 01:02 PM']I'm a cack handed git at the best of times and having nothing more than a volume to worry about will no doubt assist me greatly![/quote]

I personally never use tone controls, and i actually disabled my tone controls on my guitar because i think it sounds better without it. +1 to jon shuker as well. Certainly a very underrated builder who appears to have only be heard of on Basschat lolz.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='throwoff' post='883675' date='Jul 2 2010, 09:08 AM']I just dont need a tone control!

Too cack handed
have a GEB-7 on the floor where all my boosting comes from[/quote]
This will look great, Jon's building me a custom p at the mo (also an unusual spec) & I'm also going for a bog standard passive jazz in pink, he'll send you build pics if you ask him. If you have trouble getting a reply to emails he's also put his mobile number up on the site, brave man!

I met him (and his ace dog) when I took a guitar in for some work. He's a great guy and I was in awe of his workshop. Makes me wish I tried a little harder at woodwork when I was in school! A friend also owns 2 Shuker basses, one of which I've played. It was a really beautiful instrument. I'm pretty sure it's the 2nd one down on the custom page of his site. There can't be that many 7 string Shuker basses like that with fretboard LEDs.