Why become a member? ×

New bass time

NJW

Hi hi hi...

The time has come for a new bass, but I need some of your advices.

I have been peeking at a Sandberg California PM. I currently play an MIA Jazz and love the Fender thang... I want a P style bass to go along with it, but rather than a Fender I was hoping for something a little different. Sadly, theres no way I can get out and try a Sandberg for myself anytime soon...

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Sandbergs might suit my needs? I play in a couple of indie rock bands, and like the middly growl I get from my jazz, but I'm also hoping to begin playing in a covers band soon and need something a little more versatile, and comfy for fingerstyle playing.

Your help is, as always, appreciated.

Nico

[quote name='NJW' post='88945' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:04 PM']Hi hi hi...

The time has come for a new bass, but I need some of your advices.

I have been peeking at a Sandberg California PM. I currently play an MIA Jazz and love the Fender thang... I want a P style bass to go along with it, but rather than a Fender I was hoping for something a little different. Sadly, theres no way I can get out and try a Sandberg for myself anytime soon...

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Sandbergs might suit my needs? I play in a couple of indie rock bands, and like the middly growl I get from my jazz, but I'm also hoping to begin playing in a covers band soon and need something a little more versatile, and comfy for fingerstyle playing.

Your help is, as always, appreciated.

Nico[/quote]

My confidence in Sandbergs was shaken for ever when I saw a few at PMT in Brum.

They all had the slots for the frets cut *way* too deep into the fingerboard.

So there was a gap of a couple of mm under the fret tang, all along the neck.

I wasn't impressed, seeing as Dave Sheriff was touting them as 'Custom Shop quality'.

Still, I'm sure that a lot of modern Fenders have their build quality issues too ;-)

I do like Sandbergs, but if you want pure passive P growliness, they don´t really deliver IMHO. They sound too clean, polished and smooth to my ears.

Personally, I´d go down the Fender HW1 or Japan route. If you have more to spend, I´ve heard good things about the Lakland Bob Glaub and Duck Dunn sigs. And that Shuker sure looks lovely!

...and then you have the Sadowsky Metros as well.

At mentioned before, at this level you could have a bass made for you either by Jon Shuker, Alan at ACG or Robbie at RIM. A quick delve around this site and you'll find examples of basses from all builders.

As bassists we're spoilt because there is a load of choice outside of the mainstream brands. I would say have a good look around, play loads of basses and don't rush into anything. An extra week or so of effort will translate into an instrument you are truly happy with instead of the "if only" thoughts going around your head...

well, the reason I was thinking something other than a Fender P was that I was hoping for something a bit more smooth/less growly than the passive Fenders - I already have plenty of growl from my Jazz. All the Sandbergs in the past I have played I have enjoyed very much. Part of my problem is that I can't go for things like the custom Shukers etc. because I have to be able to source the bass through a specific shop as they are getting me an instrument at drastically reduced price as a payoff for some work I have done for them previously - the only options are really Fender, Sandberg, Rick, Cort, Musicman and all the other usuals...

[quote name='NJW' post='89408' date='Nov 16 2007, 02:09 PM']well, the reason I was thinking something other than a Fender P was that I was hoping for something a bit more smooth/less growly than the passive Fenders - I already have plenty of growl from my Jazz. All the Sandbergs in the past I have played I have enjoyed very much. Part of my problem is that I can't go for things like the custom Shukers etc. because I have to be able to source the bass through a specific shop as they are getting me an instrument at drastically reduced price as a payoff for some work I have done for them previously - the only options are really Fender, Sandberg, Rick, Cort, Musicman and all the other usuals...[/quote]

Buy MM -> Sell MM -> buy what you like :)

Check out the lovelies on here before you decide...... The Gallery should have most of 'em in stock soon....

[post="0"]Yummy![/post]

These are superbly made and I will be ordering one in the new year FYI they are not far off the quality of PRS, yes they are that good!

PS just seen you way oooop north, these are also dealers.....

Sounds Great Music

182 Wilmslow Road · Heald Green SK8 3BG Cheshire

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='88984' date='Nov 15 2007, 03:46 PM']My confidence in Sandbergs was shaken for ever when I saw a few at PMT in Brum.

They all had the slots for the frets cut *way* too deep into the fingerboard.

So there was a gap of a couple of mm under the fret tang, all along the neck.

I wasn't impressed, seeing as Dave Sheriff was touting them as 'Custom Shop quality'.

Still, I'm sure that a lot of modern Fenders have their build quality issues too ;-)[/quote]

That was my experience as well. Not good on a bass costing close to £1000.
Ive not seen such poor workmanship on a neck like that before. not even on £99 bass's.

Bloody cheek if you ask me. so much for craftsmanship.

they do play and sound good though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='89498' date='Nov 16 2007, 04:38 PM']That was my experience as well. Not good on a bass costing close to £1000.
Ive not seen such poor workmanship on a neck like that before. not even on £99 bass's.

Bloody cheek if you ask me. so much for craftsmanship.

they do play and sound good though.[/quote]

You've just put me off a Sandberg - anyone selling a Lakky?

(sorry for the hijack :) )

I managed to get to a store with some Sandbergs, Fenders and others in stock. I loved both the Sandbergs I played, and neither of them had the fret slot problems mentioned. I also loved one particular Fender P which outshone the rest of the Fenders in terms of quality. I didnt really enjoy any of the MusicMans.

I had a think, and realised that since it's more likely I'll be able to pick up a 2nd hand Fender at any point, I would get the Sandberg at the moment. It's been ordered and should be arriving by the end of the month.

I'll let you know how it is on arrival!

I've also played some of the Sandbergs in the B'ham PMT. Really can't say I was that impressed. Fair enough, some of 'em look quite nice, but they just didn't sound ...... 'alive' enough for my liking. Not sure whether it's the Delano PUP's or what, but it was all a bit dull. Probably didn't help that it was going through one of the new Trace amps (not really impressed with them either!)

When the bass sales guy showed me his custom Sandberg, it sure looked good, but it also sounded a bit dull. He, on the other hand reckons "it does the Musicman sound better than a Musicman"! You have no idea how much I hate it when people say that!!

I'm with whoever it was that suggested you try a Lakky. Top basses.