Why become a member? ×

I saw this on ebay....

Ou7shined

I saw [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-ABM-810-ABM-900-CUSTOM-HOT-ROD-FLAME-Bass-Stack_W0QQitemZ180178738609QQihZ008QQcategoryZ121159QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem"]this[/url] on ebay....

...and it got me [url="http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d67/ou7shined/bass/Ashdownfire.jpg"]thinking[/url]. :) :ph34r:

hee hee - pretty cool! - i used to have a 2x10 which sat on top of a 1x15 and i often thought about painting that because the speakers kinda looked like a big gas mask! .......or maybe i'd just been smoking too much... :)

my guitarist sprayed his boogie cab grill in a camo pattern and straight away didn't like it so sprayed it over black - he didn't even take it off his cab to spray it though so i dread to think what his speakers look like now!!!

peace

c

[quote name='NickThomas' post='88691' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:17 PM']There's plenty of people on here that would love to really set fire to ashdown gear lol lol[/quote]

the only thing I like about them are the blue speaker cones and the funky dial. They sound (IMO) horrible. Notably whenever I've played one and when I went to see System on their mezmerise tour. No definition whatsoever.

[quote name='theosd' post='88860' date='Nov 15 2007, 11:19 AM']Maybe cos he uses Ashdown amps and gibson Thunderbirds :huh:[/quote]

Sounds like a vintage masterpiece. It doesn't sound like markbass and musicman but they wouldn't want it to.

I personally love a tight jazz tone and a loose vintage tone.

I'm screwed. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='88954' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:39 PM']If you look up some youtube videos, you should be able to observe how awfully crap his tone is. I think it's mainly down to the fact that he has crap technique, and needs some extreme limiting like they must use in the studio. This is off topic though, sorry![/quote]

You'd think, being in a metal band, that he'd want a bit more grunt in his tone, but no it has always been sludgy n 'orrible.

Have you heard his live sound? I would have thought it was something that everyone would hate, regardless of their preference. It sounds like one of those 14 year old kids doing his first gig with a little practice amp turned up to the max, hitting his bass as hard as he can with a pick, but missing the strings half the time.

[quote name='jacko' post='89319' date='Nov 16 2007, 12:00 PM']Hmmm. They're advertised as one of a kind then further down they say
"These two pieces are identical to the ones used by top bass players like U2's Adam Clayton and System Of A Down's Shavo Odadjian!!"[/quote]

I'm guessing that they mean that it is a one off paint job but that the exact same set-up has been used by xyz - just worded badly.

Anyway I'm still [u]almost[/u] thinking about it (just the grill like) but I'll get my 1x15 first before going any further. :)