Why become a member? ×

How did you become a double bass player?

setekh

I often wonder...what drove you to become a double bass player? did you start as an electric bassist? what made you take the leap?

I've been thinking about taking the leap myself, but I'm not really sure I have the skills/funds/guts to do it...

Dont get me wrong, I do love my electric basses, but there's something about the sound of a double bass that I especially enjoy...not to mention they're the classiest thing ever :)

+1 on that. Got a lesson in school when I was 10. 14 years of practice later I'm a professional bassist.

If you love the sound get yourself a few lessons. Most teachers will let you use their bass in the lesson, so you won't have to fork out a load of money on an instrument before you've decided if you really want to go for it.

I started out on bass guitar (about 19 years ago..). At the beginning of this year I was looking for a new fretless bass and came across an ad on Bassworld selling an electric upright. I'd always liked the BD playing of people like Danny Thompson and Ali Friend (Beth Orton & Red Snapper) so I thought 'I'll have that instead'. Been having a whale of a time ever since.

Guest subaudio

Played electric bass, got into fretless, got an EUB, tried a Doule bass and fell in love with it, I'm really looking forward to gigging it but am a little way off yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I was exactly the same!! :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='7818' date='May 27 2007, 09:08 PM']I was randomly picked out of my music class in the first year of high school and sent to get a lesson. The rest, as they say, is history. Picked up bass guitar a couple of years later- a better way to go IMO than BG to DB.[/quote]

I started studying jazz last september. I had never touched an upright until then, but am expected to become as proficient on it as everyone else is on their 'first' instrument!!

Still looking for my own to play though.

My bass teacher basically said that he'd taken me as far as he could with bass guitar, and being the jazz and soul fiend that he is he decided to start me on double bass (this was two years ago). Bless 'im lol I love the guy. Really talented bloke, if anyone lives in Oxfordshire and wants lessons I can give you his deets.

I reckon you should go for lessons mate, it manages to be an entirely different beast to the bass guitar, yet somehow oddly manages to make you feel at home. You won't regret it. While I play bass guitar more than double bass, it's still shummat I definitely won't be giving up in the near future.

My 2 cents

:)

well guys...thanks a lot for convincing me I will have to shell out a few thousand euros in the near future :huh:

I've been doing some research, and have fond a few teachers, but still no references...I might just have to take my chances with one.

oh, and on a completely unrelated matter, why the electric bass - EUB - double bass progression? I love both electric and double basses, but EUB I just cant find appealing..I suppose you would consider one if you were testing the water before going with a DB, but it plays completely different doesnt it? Do tell me if I am wrong :)

cheers for all the helpful comments

[quote name='setekh' post='17264' date='Jun 13 2007, 10:52 PM']oh, and on a completely unrelated matter, why the electric bass - EUB - double bass progression? I love both electric and double basses, but EUB I just cant find appealing..I suppose you would consider one if you were testing the water before going with a DB, but it plays completely different doesnt it?[/quote]

That depends on the EUB - if you get one that has the same string length as most 3/4 size double basses, and has an arched bridge and fingerboard (allowing bowing), and has an endpin with "bouts" etc. then it will play more or less the same as a normal double bass. Since it has no body as such, the NS Design EUB I have gives you the option of not having to use the thumb in "thumb position" when playing above the 12th "fret", but you can use the thumb in the usual way if you like.

[quote]but EUB I just cant find appealing.[/quote]

Spend five minutes on the underground with a double bass and amp, and you'll realise the appeal quickly enough...

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk"]http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk[/url]

Edited by endorka

[quote name='endorka' post='17304' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:35 AM']Spend five minutes on the underground with a double bass and amp, and you'll realise the appeal quickly enough...

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk"]http://www.jen.clark.btinternet.co.uk[/url][/quote]
touché :)

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='17954' date='Jun 15 2007, 12:18 AM']My double bass loves Glasgow's public transport system.[/quote]

But does Glasgow's public transport system love your double bass? :-)

As long as there is an escalator I am ok, but staggering upstairs with my EUB in its bag and amp on a trolley when there are only stairs available has had me "tutted" on occassion. Most people are quite helpful though and someone usually ofters to help. You also have to try to get the ticketman's attention to open the wee gate at the top of the stairs as going through a turnstile with all that gear just isn't going to happen. I have found that this can sometimes take a substantial amount of arm waving to achieve. The main problem is that amp really, as it needs a trolley to travel any significant distance.

Have you ever taken the double bass on a bus?

Jennifer

I don't gig DB with an amp so that's less of an issue for me. I have taken my double bass on the tube (never had any problems, but I just lift it over the turnstiles) although I probably wouldn't at rush hour. I have taken it on the bus many times, and I used to drag a stool about as well. That was a bit extreme, but if you can get a bus with pram spaces I generally find its not a problem. With an amp probably would be a different story.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='18127' date='Jun 15 2007, 11:21 AM']I don't gig DB with an amp so that's less of an issue for me. I have taken my double bass on the tube (never had any problems, but I just lift it over the turnstiles) although I probably wouldn't at rush hour. I have taken it on the bus many times, and I used to drag a stool about as well. That was a bit extreme, but if you can get a bus with pram spaces I generally find its not a problem. With an amp probably would be a different story.[/quote]
I suppose you dont need to pay a visit to the local gym anymore right? carrying that beast around should prove to be enough exercise :)

• 1 year later...

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='18495' date='Jun 15 2007, 05:57 PM']I hate to think what shape my spine is.... probably something like a paperclip.[/quote]

lol mine too
i took my bass on the train for a while before i snapped it down the neck :)

and i asked for a clarinet

Inevitability for me. Been a BG player for longer than I care to remember, then discovered I loved fretless. About the same time someone introduced me to John Scofields music and in particular 'A Go Go' with Medeski Martin and Wood. After hearing Chris Wood on DB it was just a matter of time before I went for upright.

I actually looked for an EUB for ages (thinking the real thing a non-starter from practicality point of view) but finally bought a 3/4 DB first after some arm twisting from my girlfriend, who (bless) thought a super-cheap upright would keep me happy. Didn't stop me from splashing out on an EUB a matter of months later :)

Andy

When I was 11 in music class we all had to pick an instrument to play.. I was the smallest in the class so had to go with the biggest instrument later, sold the DB when I was a skint student..big mistake, 10 years later on and off I've have just started again a stagg and loving it, picking up the bow for the first time and playing the open E made me drool a bit.

I started on trombone, can't think why, playing in the school trad band. We did supports to all the (then) big names coming to Reading and Oxford Town Halls. We soon got tired of trad and went on to more modern stuff. Trouble was, while I was OK at Trad I wasn't too good at the smoother style needed for modern. Besides there were two more trombone players amongst our mates who were sh*t hot. So I saw the writing on the wall and thought a bass would be a good idea. I went up to Footes in Denman Street, London who were the top bass retailer in their day, as opposed regrettably to today. I picked out the cheapest I could find (£45 if I recall) which was not that good but it got me started. I remarked at the time that the E string was weak, to which a large black man joined in and pointed out a bass with a good E string, which I could not afford of course. We made small talk and when he had gone the assistant told me it was Ray Brown - doh!! I liked the bass and the bass seemed to like me. 50 years later after several adventures I'm still playing a lot and the phone still rings. I think we bass players are very lucky people, we play the best instrument in the band.

I started out on BG at 8 yrs because my brother had one and was in a band. I got in bands really young (9 or 10) and in school Double was the only Bass instrument, my teacher played gtr and BG also so it was a really good beginning. I left the DB for a while after school and then got back into it at music college as second instrument, now for the type of work I do it's equal first instrument with BG although I'm not good enough on it to play orchestral music, I can do bits of arco up to show standard, but I swing pretty hard. :)

Edited by jakesbass

I graduated from a homemade tea chest bass that I was using with a busking band. The tea chest was great (certainly a crowd puller) but absolutely knackering to play. I also tinkered with a drainpipe bass and a gutbucket, but one day in September 1996 I saw an ad in Leeds College of Music offering a 30 year old British made plywood upright for £400. I never looked back..

Istarted on bass guitar at 14 after begging my mum top let me stop piano! Finally she relented and I started learning blues.

My Grandad had an old beaten up DB that he left me when he died. I got it fixed up, got a fantastic local (Australia!) teacher and bashed away.

Then I moved over here and played bass guitar until our band decided it wanted to play geurrilla acoustic gigs and I bought myself a DB recently. Am learning all over again and having a ball!