Why become a member? ×

Ampeg cabs annoyance

robocorpse

Have I missed something, or do Ampeg only do the HLF style wedgeback cabs with the recessed castors and full width grab handles in 4 ohm?
All their 8 ohm cabs seem to be standard boxes with the more breakable bottom mounted castors.
I only ask because my amps only go down to 4 ohm, and I want the flexibility of being able to gig with one or two cabs depending on venue (using one head so I get the full power output), so they'd have to be 8 ohms, otherwise I'd just go and buy a single 4 ohm 4x10, which would look crap against the pair of double Marshall stacks the guitarists are using. Not metal enough, haha!. I haven't got the medical insurance/roadie required for an 8x10, but I really like the HLF angled castor arrangement..

Edited by robocorpse

Indeed the 6x10 is a nice compromise, although a better one would be a barefaced vintage at 21kgs it's nothing, massive sound, it's 4 ohm, looks monsterous, down side is you can't add something make it louder. But I'm sure there are a good few other cabs to go with the SVT-3pro that take advantage of it at 8ohm then 2 take advantage at 4ohm.

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='808942' date='Apr 16 2010, 09:43 PM'][size=3]Hi,

Yes I think thats right.The SVT -410HLF is also the only single (smallish!) 4 ohm cab in the range

I'm also frustrated as I need single 4 ohm cab for my SVT amp, I wish some of thier other cabs were 4 Ohm. or the SVT amps has a 8 Ohm output tap for more versatility.

Cheers Neil
[/size][/quote]

There are only 2 4ohm 4x10s in Ampeg´s current range, but there were loads of 4ohm cabs up until recently-blame LOUD Tech I guess.
There was the BXT410HLF, The BSE410HLF (I have 2 of them), the current B410HLF also. And of ourse the 8x10- all 4ohm cabs.There was also an SVT18 cab at 4 ohm (anyone selling one-NAME YOUR PRICE!!!)
I wish Ampegs had a three way impedance selector though-2,4 or 8 ohms-infinite cab config options.

And yeah, wish my BSE410HLF-SEs had the grab bars and kick plates that their SVT counterparts have.
Still, the flghtcases will have to do.
Also, IMO, the best US made 4x10 Ampeg have EVER done! And they look fantastic-love the ´Merc´ type badges on the front!
The SVT Classic series is just that-Classc, but knd of boring looking. I much prefer Ampegs with Silver/blue fronts-much cooler and much more vintage/retro looking!

Would love to get hold of the SVT-AV and matching 8x10- Old-School Ampeg look and sound!
In the words of the prophet MC Hammer, ´Proper!´

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='809095' date='Apr 17 2010, 12:56 AM']down side is you can't add something make it louder.[/quote]

I suspect it will go louder than a pair of Ampeg 4x10s anyway. Someone borrowed shockwave's and drowned out guitars, that were miced through the PA with it.

Well there you go then, the single barefaced vintage will probably be louder than two 4x10's.

But if your set on the 2x4x10 and want ampeg cabs, your only option is to sell the one you have, then buy two of the 8ohm cabs. The SVT 410 HE will do but two plus your head would about 97 kgs. No I'm not joking, those cabs around 41 KG each, the head is about 15.

Even with one cab, it's still 56Kgs. Then the drumkit then the guitars. If your willing to move all thatcwieghtvaround thengo for it, I wouldn't but then I'm a girl :)

Well, at the end of the day, I could continue to use my Marshall bass cabs for the metal looks (2x15 and 4x12 bass cabs) but I fancied 10s as I find the Marshall 2x15 a bit flabby, and I borrowed an 8x10 recently that sounded 100x better, so a pair of 4x10s seemed like an obvious, flexible answer that would handle any size venue by using 1 for smaller gigs and 2 for bigger stages to take advantage of the 4 ohms. I could just have one 4 ohm 4x10, but that would look crap against the 4 Marshall 4x12s my guitarists have (we believe in old school "wall of death" Metal backline) but I suppose if I had enough brute volume coming from one 4 ohm 4x10, I wouldn't be averse to cheating and using a dummy cab as well just for looks. If we ever hit it big enough to play sizeable venues and afford proper crew, then I'm buying/hiring SVT8x10s. I am not averse to trying the Barefaced cabs though, when I have the dosh ready, I will try some out. What cabs would you recommend for ACDC/Motorhead style Hard Rock with a Thunderbird?

[quote name='robocorpse' post='810521' date='Apr 18 2010, 06:04 PM']Well, at the end of the day, I could continue to use my Marshall bass cabs for the metal looks (2x15 and 4x12 bass cabs) but I fancied 10s as I find the Marshall 2x15 a bit flabby, and I borrowed an 8x10 recently that sounded 100x better, so a pair of 4x10s seemed like an obvious, flexible answer that would handle any size venue by using 1 for smaller gigs and 2 for bigger stages to take advantage of the 4 ohms. I could just have one 4 ohm 4x10, but that would look crap against the 4 Marshall 4x12s my guitarists have (we believe in old school "wall of death" Metal backline) but I suppose if I had enough brute volume coming from one 4 ohm 4x10, I wouldn't be averse to cheating and using a dummy cab as well just for looks. If we ever hit it big enough to play sizeable venues and afford proper crew, then I'm buying/hiring SVT8x10s. I am not averse to trying the Barefaced cabs though, when I have the dosh ready, I will try some out. What cabs would you recommend for ACDC/Motorhead style Hard Rock with a Thunderbird?[/quote]

two 410's wont sound like a 810, but i would honestly take a look at the 610hlf, its not that much bigger than a single 410hlf i believe its actually shallower? ok it weighs more 85pounds for the 410 and 110 for the 610 but the 610 is easier to move! and does give the same sort of look as the 810.

and you can use it for small gigs and large rather than having add another cab?

andy