Why become a member? ×

Bristol Music Shops

Dash

The 'bass expert' guy at PMT is totally 'that guy' (the only tone is the Ampeg tone, you could buy any of this stuff, but I'm going to tell you that the Ampeg tone is the one you really want, even though we don't stock any Ampeg, sealed cabs have more bottom), but left handed tip sounds like the guy from Rikkaxxe.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1318500541' post='1402841']
The 'bass expert' guy at PMT is totally 'that guy' (the only tone is the Ampeg tone, you could buy any of this stuff, but I'm going to tell you that the Ampeg tone is the one you really want, even though we don't stock any Ampeg, sealed cabs have more bottom), but left handed tip sounds like the guy from Rikkaxxe.
[/quote]

PMT is OK, but I do recommend Steve Carmen out the back who runs his own repair shop - great service and dirt cheap, I have used him to fix two amps.

On-topic, I have heard good things about Absolute Guitars (not to be confused with Absolute Music) which is in Backwell, on the Weston road. I have not been in myself (it's about 1 min from my house!!).

Ah yeah, Absolute Guitars is pretty good... I live close by too!
Fender, ESP, G&L, some MM & a Tokai TBird at the moment, I see! [url="http://absolute-guitars.co.uk/"]http://absolute-guitars.co.uk/[/url]

The remaining Bailey Brother in Hengrove is another great repair/tech guy.... :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1318511355' post='1403113']

Have you used him? I've had a couple of amps with him/them, and had to take them back because it took so long for nothing to happen.
[/quote]
.....When was that? it all went a bit wrong for a while when his brother died.... but now he's back on it... so I hear....

I have used them over the years & had a great service from them, very cheap too....

Recently, I've had stuff repaired by him but I did it through Treblerock Music, who send all their stuff to him, which means you get a bit more of a solid timescale..Still pretty cheap too...

One was fair bit before the loss of Simon, other one was heading into that time. I hear a lot of similar stuff, being a person in Bristol who spends a lot of time talking about amps. Is pretty much why I went to Steve Carmen, who kept me up to date with progress, once he got the idea I understood what he was saying and wasn't one of those muso guys who says words they read on the internet about 'tone' (yeah, mustard caps and mullard valves man).

Absolute Guitars is just down the road from me too. Got some nice Spectors in there and the owner let me go in and plug pretty much anything into any amp to try them all out. He was really accommodating. It's just a shame they're not open weekends anymore as I'd be down there more often. I think most of his business comes through online now so the shop's maybe more of a storage place for him now.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='OldGit' timestamp='1271366245' post='807734']To the OP get yourself around to Electric Ladyland and press your nose against the window (I doubt he'll be actually open)
85 West Street
St. Philips, Bristol BS2 0BX
0117 983 2500[/quote]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is this place still open? The phone number doesn't seem to work.

Don't even mention the concept of mobiles to Steve at EL. Only real way of getting hold of him is to turn up there.

Edit: Unless the moon and planets align and the appropriate offerings are made and he is allowed to walk the earth once more, then you might bump into him about the place.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

• 6 months later...

Some updates on this old thread.
Jam guitars are now web based only.
PMT in Bristol are still going strong and normally have some interesting stuff on their wall, always good for Fenders.
Treblerock have moved to a larger shop nearby in Clifton. They often have some interesting stuff (a good web site for seeing what is there)
Mickleburgh have moved their guitar section and now have a better section
Absolute guitars have just expanded into the shop next door so expect a better choice in the near future.

In seems to me the few places that are left are upping their game!

Edited by Pinball