Why become a member? ×

SOLD Fender American Deluxe Precision 2006 SOLD

EssentialTension

[b]Fender American Deluxe Precision 2006[/b]:

Alder body in gorgeous translucent amber with brown tort pickguard, 22 fret rosewood fretboard, and at present wearing TI Jazz Flats (which I could replace with D'Addario Chromes if the buyer preferred).

18volt active with volume, blend, bass-treble stacked, and mid, controls. There is no facility for switching to passive. In three years I have needed to change the batteries only once.

I fitted Schaller straplocks (I am unable to find the original Fender strap buttons)

The mid pot became noisy about a year ago and was replaced with a genuine Fender part (actually CTS I think).

I have much of the case candy (including the truss-rod adjuster and manual but not the cleaning cloth and mist-wipe) and the original moulded case which has never been used but does have the very beginnings of rust on the locks, one of which is awkward to open and close.

I've had this bass from new in spring 2007 and it's served me very well for I reckon about a hundred gigs - I've used it to play fifties rock 'n' roll, sixties pop and soul, ska and reggae, some funk, hard rock and blues, it's been a useful all round bass because of the wide range of tones available with the two pickups and the active electronics.

I would call the condition extremely good for a well gigged bass. Although there a quite a few tiny dings (and I do mean tiny) they do not break through the lacquer and are all too small to photograph (except perhaps the largest which I have tried to capture in the second picture in the next post).

Let's have some pictures - but be warned my photography is worse than my bass playing:

I can post at the buyer's expense although I'd prefer collection or a meet if possible - I'm in Brighton.

I'm looking for [b][size=4]£650[/size][/b]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='tom1946' post='808181' date='Apr 16 2010, 11:06 AM']Blimey, I've just paid nearly £900 for one of these :)

This is the bargain of the year! Stunning.

Bump.[/quote]
Thanks for saying so - at GAK in Brighton a new one is now at £999 I think, if they have any left with the new version soon becoming available (probably at more like £1200 I should think).

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='813984' date='Apr 21 2010, 05:31 PM']If you know someone who wants my bass I'd buy this off you! Even so, I can give that person a discount if you make it happen :)[/quote]
I'd definitely like to make it happen but I don't know anyone who wants your bass at the moment.

Good luck with your sale.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='808415' date='Apr 16 2010, 01:04 PM']Thanks for saying so - at GAK in Brighton a new one is now at £999 I think, if they have any left with the new version soon becoming available (probably at more like £1200 I should think).[/quote]

Hi there does this P bass have a nice low action?
thanks mike.

[quote name='logicalmike' post='816462' date='Apr 23 2010, 05:05 PM']Hi there does this P bass have a nice low action?
thanks mike.[/quote]
Thanks for your interest.

The bass is setup [i]close[/i] to the values that Fender give for bass guitars:

[b]For 9.5" to 12" radius:[/b]

[b]Relief at 8th fret[/b] = 0.012" (0.3 mm)

[b]Action at 17th fret 4th string[/b] = 6/64" (2.4 mm)

[b]Action at 17th fret 1st string[/b] = 5/64" (2 mm)

I have just taken all three measurements and they are very close to those figures, [i]tending to be very marginally higher[/i] by less than 1/64" in the case of the action, and 0.1 mm in the case of the relief. Given that I play with flats and consider myself to like a medium to high action I was surprised the measurement was so low.

So, 'a nice low action'? I think that's too subjective to call. If you want a particularly low or lower action then I suspect a tightening tweak on the truss rod and some adjustment of the bridge pieces could achieve it. If you were going to use different strings than the TI Jazz Flats which are on it now you would need to redo the setup anyway.

To me it's 'nice' as it is.

[quote name='parker_muse' post='816711' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:05 PM']Can you get a musicmanesque tone from the humbucker?[/quote]
To be honest I'm not sure, I've very little experience of Music Man basses.

I have seen others describe the American Deluxe P humbucker as 'more punchy and less boomy' than a Stingray but also as 'thinner' than a Stingray.

Mind you, the blend control allows the addition of a little P pickup if you want more 'boom' or 'thickness'. Also, the active bass, mid, and treble allow a wide range of sounds.

Sorry not to be more helpful. Maybe someone who knows the American Deluxe P and the Music Man will be along in a minute. Anyone?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='816718' date='Apr 23 2010, 09:13 PM']That's a lovely looking bass, Dave - Unfortunately I'm all spent up at the moment after the past couple of weeks' bass buying, so best of luck with the sale :)[/quote]
Thanks, Rich.

If I didn't have to pay for the '62 I just bought from Chris (Beedster) and at the same time reduce the heard back to my allotted six, then it wouldn't be leaving me at all. It's been quite close to my heart and I've played it a lot.