Why become a member? ×

Getting Gigs - Venue Information Source?

skankdelvar

So I'm plodding through the chore of compiling a list of target venues to approach for gigs. Trouble is, the info is scattered all over the place and there doesn't seem to be any one site with a comprehensive list of venues. Copy and paste, copy and paste. Pah!

Years ago, I bought a book which detailed hundreds of London venues from big to tiny, with booker contact details, house PA specs, stage size, load-in info, room capacity, etc. Trouble is - I lent it out and never got it back - plus it now would be out of date.

Does anyone know of a web site, database, info source that has:

* Bundles of venues

* Band-specific venue info as mentioned above

Ta

Skank

The last time I started a band from scratch,myself and the singer/guitarist spent a week looking in
our old diaries at places we used to play,and then found new venues by looking at the websites of
a bunch of bands(mostly tribute) and then calling up the venues.

So basically,I'd suggest going on the websites of bands who are on a similar scene to yourself-
most of them should have links to the venues sites so you can find the info you want pretty easily.
If you can't get the info,just phone up places and ask questions.

I filled my diary by doing this for a week solid-after that it was easy to get more.

[quote name='Doddy' post='797971' date='Apr 6 2010, 08:17 PM']The last time I started a band from scratch,myself and the singer/guitarist spent a week looking in
our old diaries at places we used to play,and then found new venues by looking at the websites of
a bunch of bands(mostly tribute) and then calling up the venues.

So basically,I'd suggest going on the websites of bands who are on a similar scene to yourself-
most of them should have links to the venues sites so you can find the info you want pretty easily.
If you can't get the info,just phone up places and ask questions.

I filled my diary by doing this for a week solid-after that it was easy to get more.[/quote]

None of the covers bands around here seem to have websites. If they do they are never up to date. There could be a website opportunity here. Not sure I can be bothered personally. This is why I am not wealthy.... "what a great idea, oh sod it!"

We use a website called [url="http://www.northwestbands.co.uk/"]http://www.northwestbands.co.uk/[/url] - obviously you're in Oxford, but I do know many of the gigs we've had have come from venues who use and who are listed on this site. There may well be a sister site for more areas, so check it it out :)

Thanks muchly for the input so far, guys :) The unsigned guide seems to be closest to the sort of thing I'm looking for - but it's £32.99 for a book with free web access thereafter. Just amazed no-one's set up a similar 'venue' website for gigging musicians... or maybe they have, we just can't find it!

Anyone else got any ideas? - the conventional gig guide sites seem to have lot of holes in them.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='798039' date='Apr 6 2010, 09:12 PM']None of the covers bands around here seem to have websites. If they do they are never up to date.[/quote]

That's why you'd be better off looking at the 'pro' bands and the tributes. Pretty much all of them have
a website with their gig list on,and most play at similar venues around the country.
If you want to stay local,just use the yellow pages.

[url="http://www.lemonrock.com/gigsbycounty.php"]http://www.lemonrock.com/gigsbycounty.php[/url]

A bit clunky to use, but there's a wealth of information on there.

WARNING WARNING! DANGER DANGER!

Lemonrock is largely maintained by musicians and fans, rather than by pubs and venues. It's entirely possible for a busy and important venue NOT to get mentioned simply because no one can be bothered to set up a page for them.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='798220' date='Apr 7 2010, 12:10 AM']Thanks muchly for the input so far, guys :) The unsigned guide seems to be closest to the sort of thing I'm looking for - but it's £32.99 for a book with free web access thereafter. [b]Just amazed no-one's set up a similar 'venue' website for gigging musicians[/b]... or maybe they have, we just can't find it!

Anyone else got any ideas? - the conventional gig guide sites seem to have lot of holes in them.[/quote]

Someone has. Or rather someone had. [url="http://generator.org.uk"]http://generator.org.uk[/url]

Last time I looked on there they had a number of spreadsheets, organised by region and populated with all the info you're looking for. Unfortunately it had become rather dated and I could see it contained venues that no longer even existed, which was quite understandable as it must have been a massive undertaking to even compile, yet alone maintain, for a non-profit venture.

What they have up there now is a searchable but stripped down version, with no info at all on some of the venues listed. Still, it's a start and at least meets the 'free' criteria.:rolleyes:

[quote]The unsigned guide seems to be closest to the sort of thing I'm looking for - but it's £32.99 for a book with free web access thereafter[/quote]

£33 is not even one gig's payment in most cases or a rehearsal studio fee.
if it gets you one gig it's worth the investment.

You probably know a few venues you fancy playing so check out the band list for those venues and find the other venues they play from thier websites. Then try them too.