Why become a member? ×

Gibson Artist RD

jamiesonk666

Me TOO. I'm interested! :)

Seriously, I had a Jaguar - got rid of it, just couldn't get on with it.
The RD is one to have, at some point in your bass playing life.
HUGE range of sounds from the Artist, a Classic. Mine is a Natural, the
Sunbursts are less common.
The Jag would be worth about £450 ish, I guess, so it would be a bargain.
So, either jump at it or share the details!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigRedX' post='797174' date='Apr 6 2010, 07:12 AM']Things to check other than the obvious sound, playability and looks...

1. Can you live with the weight?

2. Does it still have all the original Moog Electronics and do they work properly?[/quote]

+1
Personally I prefer mine above any Fender, but these are real marmite basses - try before you decide.
Got any pics of the dink? Obviously knocks value off (there's a natural one on the 'bay for £1995 at the moment .........yeah, right) , but these will survive anything short of nuclear assault. Sunburst and black are the more desirable ones too. They're extra long scale (34.5" I think), but can be strung either body-thru or top-loading. Sustain for ever, but have a rather "piano" like tone - best through a valve amp if you want growl. Clubby neck - not the fastest, but suit my huge hands.

I say go for it, way cooler than a Jag :)

i've always wanted one. With the electronics being old etc I wasnt sure. I think its moog . The owner says a good luthier will be able to replace the maple on the front probabbly cost me. I use an old 75 p bass wich I like because I have to wrestle with it and the Jag bass was too 'nice' and my stinger is sh*t hot( a little wasted on me so I'm sellin it to go on holiday and buy an ampeg cab). Thanks for the feed back let yous know how it goes.

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='797639' date='Apr 6 2010, 03:15 PM']Whether you like it or not, that is a steal (unless the inards are all gone)

Swap it, try it, flip it!!!!!!!!!!

I love them by the way[/quote]

big +1 could easy get £450 each if you don't like them
thought you were being offered one or the other in your pm
matey :)

Some have been going for well over a grand recently so financially it'd be a good deal. I got much less (under £500) for mine a few years ago though.

It's not a bass for everyone, they weigh a ton and the necks are clumsy compared to a Fender IMO. The electrics can be finnicky, even the switches are quirky - they physically push a metal plate onto different contacts! I had to do some work on mine to get it giggable
Despite the huge circuit board and on-board effects there's not too many usable tones, they do an excellent Ric impression though and are great for clanky Entwhitsltle lines.
Don't expect a modern active sound and go easy on the bass and treble controls, they can be very harsh.

I got rid of mine because my Warwick was a much better bass for me, the RD looked great but the Warwick owned it in every department

The sunburst and black ones are more sought after than the maple

Artists are typcial Gibson basses. Buck the trend when it comes to design, quirky, subjective and distinct sound and above all cost a lot.

I'm not a fan, simply because of the weight and what you get for that added weight burden but some people love them. I liken Gibson basses to going out with a nymphomaniac who is also a schizophrenic. There's good points but also a hell of a lot of bad points.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jamiesonk666' post='808888' date='Apr 16 2010, 08:47 PM']I have it! 'm recording with it tomorrow. :)[/quote]

Congratulations. Hope you like it. Let us know how you get on.
Loads of sounds - back the amp off a bit, when you plug in - bit of a shock
how much they put out.
If you love it, great :rolleyes: If not I hope you'll put my name at the top of the list - Pike!! :lol:

Cheers.

I sh*t out of using it to record on saturday and used the 75 P instead. When I finished I plugged the RD in just for shits and giggles. It sounded wicked with old strings. Any Advice for cleaning it up (yellowed staining from fags etc..and hard ware). I'm well chuffed

[quote name='jamiesonk666' post='811787' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:12 PM']I sh*t out of using it to record on saturday and used the 75 P instead. When I finished I plugged the RD in just for shits and giggles.
It sounded wicked with old strings. Any Advice for cleaning it up (yellowed staining from fags etc..and hard ware). I'm well chuffed[/quote]

Hi. I know exactly how to clean up your RD. . . . . . . Give it to me for a month or two and I'll send it
back all shiny and sparkly, with some new strings on!!! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Nice one.
If you ever get fed up with it . . . . . . . . . :)