Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop (mark hoppus design)

throwoff

Im dangerously close to ordering a Fender CS bass.

As a lefty im limited in mainstream choices and my dream bass has always been a Fender Mark Hoppus, I love the looks, the tone and the simplicity of the thing.

I can get one left handed through Fender CS (maybe the first and only lefty) but somethings holding me back, as much as it is my dream bass I am wondering whether to get something with more options and sounds that will be far more usefull down the years.

Does anyone have a very simple bass they had custom made? do you regret not having more tonal options?

It's difficult to say, as a fellow lefty i've often thought that a CS option is probably the only way to go, but the prices are astronomical - then i discovered Fender Japan and i can more or less get what i want from them :)

You could get a custom build a lot cheaper elsewhere but obviously it wouldn't be Fender and you might find it difficult to move on should you not like it, but on the other hand it is quite a basic design and if you aren't going for bells and whistles it could be more advantageous to get one from a well known builder.

If i was thinking about having that particular design, i'd definitely go to someone like Shuker and see how much they priced a build at

You could get a righty, string it upside down and move the strap button, if you're playing punk like me you never need access to the dusty end anyway :) .

I've got a hoppus and it does the one sound pretty well but you might get bored of it in the long run, especially if you want to play anything a little different. So if you're going down the custom route then it would probably be wise to add a few more options just in case.

Edited by waltsdog

20-25 years ago (keep me right Howie) I had our very own 'Bass Doc' create me a Jazz style bass (1 piece black walnut body), which had a single pup (really x2 Jazz pups side-by-side a la MM) and a single control... volume. I loved the simplicity and uniqueness of it but after a short time I found that it wouldn't do everything I needed so I had him fit another single Jazz pup in the neck position and added a pan pot and tone control! It was a damn sight cheaper for me to do that than it would for you to mod an already expensive CS bass. :)

Think long and hard before going the Fender CS route. :rolleyes:

[quote name='cocco' post='792195' date='Mar 31 2010, 05:29 PM']I'd go down the shuker route too. Maybe get an extra j pickup in the bridge.[/quote]

+1 :)
I'm sure Jon would do you about 3 or 4 of those for the cost of single Fender CS!

Eude