Why become a member? ×

Opinions On Musicman Bongos

splat1969

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='790758' date='Mar 30 2010, 04:20 PM']I almost scored a used one on here a few weeks ago, but couldn't get to the seller in time. Someone else snapped it up very quickly.[/quote]
That might have been me :). Fantastic basses, didn't get on with it at first because I was comparing it too much to my Iceni, but when I looked at it in a different light it made sense and now I love it.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='792570' date='Mar 31 2010, 10:15 PM']I'm pretty sure I have your Bongo 5 these days. It came to me in a trade deal with bigwan for a 4HH also sapphire black with moonstone PG.[/quote]

It's the same bass. Still loving the 4 string mate!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='793044' date='Apr 1 2010, 10:26 AM']yeah that's just material stuff, I wish I still had all my 10 fingers to play with rather than 9 and a half[/quote]
Eugh! Wooten's double thumbing technique has it drawbacks then? :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='793845' date='Apr 1 2010, 11:01 PM']ouch !

luckily for you, that part of the thumb won't matter (unless you like that sexy thing).. :)

carry on playing bass man !! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh you better believe it, I have never stopped even when I got back from the hospital 4 days later I had a birthday party gig, they booked us before my accident and I didn't fancy turning them down, so I wrapped my stump in extra padding and surgical tape and I did the gig in agony and bleeding on my red stingray.

the uncomfortable thing was after the wound healed was to adapt to anchor what's left of the thumb to the body, assuming a new position with the picking fingers now closer to the strings and the fact that although I never played much with a pick now its really difficult (not impossible though) to use one. But on the plus side, slap its easier because the attack is more direct and the effect of bone knocking on the strings rather then flesh makes it sound more more percussive, a bit like Tony Levin's funk fingers extension sticks. Oh and for the pain, well that comes and goes, my nerves are obviosuly closer now to anything I hit or touch but I am developing a stronger pain threshold where I know its painful but I can ignore it and put up with it.

oh and I still do ride my bike regardless

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DgSwMZliM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DgSwMZliM[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='793985' date='Apr 2 2010, 03:48 AM']oh and I still do ride my bike regardless

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DgSwMZliM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DgSwMZliM[/url][/quote]

Loved that bike dogfight! I realise that #285 got some stick from the youtube comments but it looked 'all fair in love and war' to me; he/you gave as good as you got. :) Bit of a downer that you lost it but it had me hanging off my chair. :rolleyes:

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='794500' date='Apr 2 2010, 05:55 PM']I really feel for you man, but thought it cruelly ironic that you first picture posted said "attached thumbnail(s)".
That's just adding insult to injury.[/quote]

Yeah, that's my rule of thumb, and yeah I give it the thumbs up

I've got a Bongo 5HH in Desert Gold that I got off eBay for £900 that is absolutely mint. It's very quickly become my favourite bass - plays great, looks awesome and the 18v preamp puts out some MONSTER noise. Absolutely lethal when paired with a Shuttlemax 12.0!
I just can't work out how these basses still get such a bad rap. I honestly think its just because its now fashionable to hate them, but thats fine by me cos in 15-20 years when there are not many 'vintage' ones about mine will be worth a fortune!

[quote name='ukbassboy' post='794537' date='Apr 2 2010, 06:38 PM']I've got a Bongo 5HH in Desert Gold that I got off eBay for £900 that is absolutely mint. It's very quickly become my favourite bass - plays great, looks awesome and the 18v preamp puts out some MONSTER noise. Absolutely lethal when paired with a Shuttlemax 12.0!
I just can't work out how these basses still get such a bad rap. I honestly think its just because its now fashionable to hate them, but thats fine by me cos in 15-20 years when there are not many 'vintage' ones about mine will be worth a fortune![/quote]

Very good point! Bongos will become seriously cool in the future, I'm sure. And yes, 18v preamps are the only way to go. They always seem to boost in a more balanced way to me.

[quote name='ukbassboy' post='794537' date='Apr 2 2010, 06:38 PM']I've got a Bongo 5HH in Desert Gold that I got off eBay for £900 that is absolutely mint. It's very quickly become my favourite bass - plays great, looks awesome and the 18v preamp puts out some MONSTER noise. Absolutely lethal when paired with a Shuttlemax 12.0!
I just can't work out how these basses still get such a bad rap. I honestly think its just because its now fashionable to hate them, but thats fine by me cos in 15-20 years when there are not many 'vintage' ones about mine will be worth a fortune![/quote]

Nice one dude, it's refreshing to see a young chap that sees the light!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='790567' date='Mar 30 2010, 01:39 PM']There is a certain magic hidden in a Bongo bass, soundwise it is a killer bass. The secret is in the combination of the wood used for the body which is Basswood and the 18 Volts 4 band EQ preamp plus the Neodymium pickups. The results of all these factors makes it a bass which is difficult to fault, in both sound and playability. Definately one of the best bass of the Ernie Ball range, I repeat one of the best, not the best. Personally I thought it was THE best until I bought their 25th Anniversary HSS.

The Bongo's neck is another secret weapon which is unique to the Ernie Ball range, in fact this is the only EB bass with 24 frets and a radius unique to this bass that makes it so incredibly comfortable to play that every time you picked it up after having played a different bass, you can't help go: "Oh yeah!"

As mentioned the pickups are the powehouse that makes this bass break through through the muddies of band mixes. Neodymium is a new very powerful magnet, also used in new amp speakers. Very responsive and in this bass they work wonderfully.

FACT: Not everyone is fond of it's shape and headstock - BUT - everyone who I know has tried one has ended up buying it or live a life of misery and GAS withering illness.

Here's mine:

[/quote]

All well and good, but I notice you keep yours under a tree in the garden. Is that because it's too ugly to be allowed in the house? Personally I'd have put a bag over it so the tree doesn't get upset.

[quote name='alhbass' post='794684' date='Apr 2 2010, 10:12 PM']All well and good, but I notice you keep yours under a tree in the garden. Is that because it's too ugly to be allowed in the house? Personally I'd have put a bag over it so the tree doesn't get upset.[/quote]

It moves a little nearer the composter each day.

[quote name='alhbass' post='794684' date='Apr 2 2010, 10:12 PM']All well and good, but I notice you keep yours under a tree in the garden. Is that because it's too ugly to be allowed in the house? Personally I'd have put a bag over it so the tree doesn't get upset.[/quote]

You know what funny man, if your humour was anything remotely intelligent I would have laughed at your joke but from your illogical statement above I pity you, as I can detect a deep innate ignorance that goes way back in your family genealogical tree, gloriously handed down to you from generation to generation way back to the cave men days.

For f*ck sake it's only a bass, you either like it or not.

You don't need to diss it to the point of ridiculing a member of a forum you don't even know, that is lack of respect and hatred inciting propaganda, grow the f*uck up!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='794883' date='Apr 3 2010, 10:26 AM']You know what funny man, if your humour was anything remotely intelligent I would have laughed at your joke but from your illogical statement above I pity you, as I can detect a deep innate ignorance that goes way back in your family genealogical tree, gloriously handed down to you from generation to generation way back to the cave men days.

For f*ck sake it's only a bass, you either like it or not.

You don't need to diss it to the point of ridiculing a member of a forum you don't even know, that is lack of respect and hatred inciting propaganda, grow the f*uck up![/quote]

Chill out Fran, it was only a joke, albeit not a very good one.