Why become a member? ×

I'm sure those weren't there when we started the gig...

Huw

Hey all

well, the band I joined not too long ago has finally started gigging again. We did two shows last week and they went fine, we've got another 5 or 6 scheduled before the end of the year, too.

However, during that second gig I started to feel something a little uncomfortable in my right hand, so I looked down to find these staring back at me..

[attachment=3427:blisterz.jpg]

wowza, never had blisters like that before. Probably nerves making me play too hard. It's been like I've been wearing thimbles all week though. I had a bass lesson and we had to concentrate on just using my thumb, instead

You moved this as I was replying! Fly bastage lol.

Once those harden you will have great callouses (sp?) and you wont need to worry about getting any more blisters no matter how hard you play.

I remember my first two like that. Trying all night to get a real sloppy demo of 6 songs for our first band. Never had a single blister since.

i had one on all tips of my right hand,playing like a nut I was!

once had a nasty BIG blood blister on my index finger 'SPLAT' on stage all over my pickguard....white at ther time

......I refused to wash it off for weeks.

Ive a blister on my index at ther mo...comes from playing a different string spacing....

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='86682' date='Nov 10 2007, 10:27 PM']Superglue them. Pop and squirt some into the hole.[/quote]

+100

I've been doing it regularly and you get so much respect from pussy guitarists and bitchboy horn section players who think you are so "hardcore" :) , bless 'em.

My worst was when I foolishly offered to play double bass (my first time) to do a show. Ten days later I went into opening night with all four fingers on my left hand bandaged and both plucking fingers on my right hand bandaged too. Incredible pain, and no chance of even starting to heal until the run ended.

+1 for your future calluses.

[quote name='Sean' post='86744' date='Nov 11 2007, 01:38 AM']+100

I've been doing it regularly and you get so much respect from pussy guitarists and bitchboy horn section players who think you are so "hardcore" :) , bless 'em.[/quote]

Just make sure the glue is non-toxic otherwise you're gonna be out of action for a LONG time with blood poisoning!

[quote name='Viajero' post='86783' date='Nov 11 2007, 11:51 AM']My worst was when I foolishly offered to play double bass (my first time) to do a show. Ten days later I went into opening night with all four fingers on my left hand bandaged and both plucking fingers on my right hand bandaged too. Incredible pain, and no chance of even starting to heal until the run ended.

+1 for your future calluses.[/quote]

Ha Ha, been there,
my first gig with my psychobilly band and i had bust a couple of my nylon strings and all i could get as replacements were steel,so four songs into a 14 song set and my finger ends exploded,blood all over the bass,my white vest and spot bleached jeans,the crowd were loving it thinking i was using some sort of fake blood capsules for effect (i wish)

taught me a valuable lesson in looking after my hands that day,if i think about it long enough i'm sure i can still feel the pain

I have exactly the same after my 5 hour busking session on Saturday (see other thread)

Not as bad as the end of Summer though - 3 gigs on consecutive nights after I'd been out of practice for a while, by the third night it really, REALLY hurt!

Turn your amp up and play less hard.

I had a great gig with a funk band is Suffolk called Swagger. The material was a kind of funk-rock hybrid with lots of 16th note lines at ridiculous tempos (think Francis Prestia with attitude). And what was worse I had Suffolk legend George Fothergill on drums (loud, confident and loud). Every time I did the gig, I would get the same problem. Ouch! :) Then, one evening, I thought 'f**k this' and turned the amp up a lot (Eden Metro combo) - I relaxed, the grooves were stronger and funkier and I didn't bleed. :huh:

Sorted.

As long as the sound is good (not just loud), its cool.

I used to suffer blisters on my finger tips of both hands (particularly on the plucking hand), and the solution seems to be to make sure you get 10 - 20 minutes in everyday. If I didn't practise all week and then had a mamoth session at the week end, I'd get blisters. With 10 minutes a day I could still do the mammoth session without blisters. My lad has found the same is true for drumming.

The other thing is, when practising, if your finger tips get sore and you feel a blister is on the way then stop! Carrying on until you've actually got a blister will put you back to square 1 and is totally conter pruductive. Not so easy of course if you're in the middle of a gig!

It will take time for the calluses to build up, and don't be suprised (as I was) if the first few that build up decide to peel off one day.

If you're a two finger player, try bringing the third/fourth fingers and the thumb into use as well. It will share the load a bit.

I'm not a fan of turning the amp up as, IMHO, and for my style of playing, the affect is not the same as a heavily plucked string, but I guess that depends a lot on the individuals style.

Clive

Edited by Clive Thorne