Why become a member? ×

It could of been worse i suppose

bigash

Last nights gig could of been a complete disaster but turned out ok. To start off our new digital PA which noone
completely understands how to operate yet was a total nightmare, sound was terrible. After about 10 songs i broke a string 1st in about 10yrs. At this point it was decided to go and get our old PA, which was fortunatly just down the road. Singer in one of his diva moments storms off stage saying he was jacking it in while doing so knocks my bass off it's stand with a thump. :angry:While i was changing my string rest went off to get old PA returned set it up, still no singer eventually he returned. We started playing rest of 1st set. However my bass must suffered in fall because the A,D,and G strings were dead between 1st and 4th frets i mean nothing no buzzing or anything. Managed to get through rest of gig by severely over tightening Gstring. found out today guy who usually does repairs on my bass is on holiday till friday and i need it for gig next sunday. So after a bit of research it looks like the neck is to straight and need to loosen truss rod. I'm going to have to jump in at the deep end and try sort it myself. Can someone with the know how confirm that my diagnosis is correct, and any advice on the procedure would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at gary willis's sight and it seems quite informative.

Cheers Ash

Hi Ash,

well it could help to loosen the rod slightly which should cure the problem (couple of 1/4 turns with 15-30minutes inbetween to let settle). But, if the action was ok before the fall it might be worth letting a techie take a look as soon as you can just to check that the neck is still seated ok.

[quote name='martthebass' post='788567' date='Mar 28 2010, 03:28 PM']Hi Ash,

well it could help to loosen the rod slightly which should cure the problem (couple of 1/4 turns with 15-30minutes inbetween to let settle). But, if the action was ok before the fall it might be worth letting a techie take a look as soon as you can just to check that the neck is still seated ok.[/quote]

OK cheers, would like my man to have a look at it when he gets back off holiday anyway. Now where did i put those allen keys.

It does sound like the neck is too straight, should be a small adjustment though and shouldn't take much doing... Not a hard job unless something sinister has gone off that we don't know about.

Just be careful, small turns are all you need. I'd give it a quarter turn. Tune up. Check it.

Repeat if needed. If you have done this 3 or 4 times (truss had 3quarters - one full turn) and nothings changed, then take it to an expert.

Shep

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='788581' date='Mar 28 2010, 03:45 PM']Be very careful. Buggering up the truss rod adjustment could seriously damage your bass permanently.

I'd ask around and see who local shops recommend, then send the bill to your singer.[/quote]

Only have one local shop which mainly deals with accordians. guitars seem to be a side line.
And i don't think i would trust him with my bass

Whereabouts in South West Scotland are you?

Does anyone here know if Alan at ACG in Moffat does setups?

If its any consolation, we started off Friday Night's set with 'Don't Believe a Word' by Thin Lizzy but I started playing 'Wishing Well' by Free. Don't remember ever doing that before. Whoops.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='788593' date='Mar 28 2010, 04:02 PM']It does sound like the neck is too straight, should be a small adjustment though and shouldn't take much doing... Not a hard job unless something sinister has gone off that we don't know about.

Just be careful, small turns are all you need. I'd give it a quarter turn. Tune up. Check it.

Repeat if needed. If you have done this 3 or 4 times (truss had 3quarters - one full turn) and nothings changed, then take it to an expert.

Shep[/quote]
Think that's what i'll do. And if it all goes tits up i know who to blame [ The f***ing singer] :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='788598' date='Mar 28 2010, 04:08 PM']Whereabouts in South West Scotland are you?

Does anyone here know if Alan at ACG in Moffat does setups?

If its any consolation, we started off Friday Night's set with 'Don't Believe a Word' by Thin Lizzy but I started playing 'Wishing Well' by Free. Don't remember ever doing that before. Whoops.[/quote]
I am 15 miles from Moffat near Lockerbie. Never thought about that, could be a possibility
if he does set ups.

You need to adjust the neck,by grabbing it very tight and push the head back as far as you can.

That's the singer strangled, after hitting him on the head a few times with your bass I would
Loosen the truss rod (turning left) and do what the other basschatters have said.

Have you checked the nut? (not the singer) Just incase a piece has chipped off after being knocked.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='788818' date='Mar 28 2010, 08:08 PM']You need to adjust the neck,by grabbing it very tight and push the head back as far as you can.

That's the singer strangled, after hitting him on the head a few times with your bass I would
Loosen the truss rod (turning left) and do what the other basschatters have said.

Have you checked the nut? (not the singer) Just incase a piece has chipped off after being knocked.[/quote]
No a friend took my bass last night to take it to the man who does all the technical stuff for us.
He is on holiday so i will pick it up tomorroe night and give it a good inspection. hopefully just be a tweak on truss rod
and all back to normal. Then to fix the singer, it might take more than a little tweak.

[quote name='bigash' post='788956' date='Mar 28 2010, 10:41 PM']No a friend took my bass last night to take it to the man who does all the technical stuff for us.
He is on holiday so i will pick it up tomorroe night and give it a good inspection. hopefully just be a tweak on truss rod
and all back to normal. Then to fix the singer, it might take more than a little tweak.[/quote]

Guitar Guitar in glasgow does set ups. Don't know how well, but it's not that far away from you!

Chris

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='788818' date='Mar 28 2010, 08:08 PM']You need to adjust the neck,by grabbing it very tight and push the head back as far as you can.

Have you checked the nut? (not the singer) Just incase a piece has chipped off after being knocked.[/quote]

LMAO..