Why become a member? ×

Honey, I Lost The Bass

Pete Academy

A few years back I arrived back home from a gig and stupidly left my Tobias Classic 5 outside my door after loading into the house. At the time I was using two basses for two different bands. The next gig for the Tobias was a couple of weeks later. On the night of the gig I went to fetch it from my spare room and couldn't find it. I then realised it had been taken that night. I contacted the police and put together an info sheet for local music shops etc. My first port of call was the local Cash Converter. They took the sheet with the photo and info on it and said they'd look out for the bass. Five minutes later I got a call saying they knew where the bass was. Apparently, they had bought it from a young lad for £25. The lad was probably just after some drug money. The shop hadn't a clue what the bass was, so sold it someone for £80 (or so they said). They told me they could get it back from the guy they sold it to.

To cut a long story short, they must have had it in the back of the store all the time, until they could suss what it was worth. I ended up paying them £60 and I had it back in safe hands. I would have paid £1000.

So, has anyone else had something stolen/taken and got it back again?

Mentioned this before but I found a 60's Ric 4001 in its case in the street after a guy had forgotten to load it into his car.
I put a note through the house door, called the police and awaited a call from the guy.

Anyway at about 6pm the guy called very very relieved. He'd been going to record their latest CD and his manager had picked him up at 7.30 am .. bit of a shock for him. Got to the studio and it was "dude, where's my bass?" followed by a trip to town to buy a new bass (a Ray for full retail :rolleyes: ) and a day on the phone for the manager calling all the local places looking for it.
Eventually the police gave them my details and they got in touch :)
A very relived bloke....
I tried it and found out I don't fit Ric's any more.

Oh and a mate once sent me a picture of a Smith 6 hanging in Crack Converters window for £125 inc case. He was third in the queue the next day and missed it. I suspect the lad that bought it didn't have it long though ....

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='788202' date='Mar 27 2010, 08:54 PM']My experience made me glad I don't actually live in a nice area. If I did, the recipient of my Tobias might have realised it was worth more than the next hit.[/quote]

Or maybe someone nice would have knocked on the the door and said "excuse me sir, I couldn't help noticing...."! :)

Did a small festival type gig many years ago set in a rugby club's grounds and somehow my P-Bass didn't get packed up with the rest of the band's gear. The excuse was that it was pitch black and I was otherwise engaged with a young lady hence not around to check my own stuff was packed properly. I didn't realise it was gone until about a month later as all the band equipment was put into storage before heading off for another few gigs. Once I'd discovered that it wasn't with the rest of the equipment I was obviously pi**ed off but put it down to experience, I let the festival promoter know what had happened but didn't hold out much hope.

A year later I got a phone call from the promoter saying they had found the bass! The old chap that ran the clubhouse at the rugby club was retiring and having a clearout when he found the bass, luckily he still had the promoter's number and let him know what he'd found. Incredibly the promoter called me straight away to arrange collection, he knew it was worth a few quid but was happy to do the right thing. Lucky me!

Dropped my iPod in the street outside a venue in Wales and then got a call from a guy who'd really enjoyed the band, found the iPod and then realised from the pictures on it that it was mine and tracked me down to return it at his own expense!!! Top bloke :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='788637' date='Mar 28 2010, 03:45 PM'].....and makes me think I should look in Cash Converters more often

:)[/quote]

Regular stop for me ...
Sadly my local one has a guitar expert who pops in and put very acurate values on anything they get in ...

Almost the reverse of the OP, but one day a while back I got an email at work from our rhythm guitarist and tech-head saying he couldn't make that night's rehearsal as he'd had his garage broken into and lots of stuff nicked. He didn't say what stuff, but that was understandable under the circumstances.

A while later that morning I get a phone call the police "Hello Sir, we've recovered your band gear."

Recovered?! Band Gear?! It's was at home when I left 2 hours ago! :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Sure enough it was the previously described 'stuff' from the garage - PA, his guitars and amp. With it was a case with some songs and other paperwork, including something I'd emailed him previously, which had my name and phone number on it.

Come to think of it I never did find out how the police had found it!

We had something like 8 guitars and an acoustic bass (I had my 6ers with me) nicked from our house. We bought them back from a drug dealer for £60. He said he just "put the word out" and found them. Hmmmmmm. Still, that was about £4k of guitars. My aria pro II is still missing though :)

The only thing ive had stolen (so far) was a Alligator Head.
My guitarist used to own a rehearsal studio and im pretty sure he used to hire my gear out (i was playing keyboards back then).
We used to leave all the back line in the passage way.

Anyway, i got to rehearsals on night and the amp was gone. I informed the police and did everything i could. luckily it was insured. A month or so later as i was browsing down Denmark st i saw the amp in one of the established shops. I checked it out and it was definitely mine.
I told our guitarist and he told me not to mention it to the shop staff and he will try and sort it out. He sort of knows everyone (or likes to think he does) so i was ok with that.
Next day i had it back. Now, im no the sort of person to accuse anyone of doing something dishonest but ive always wondered what he told them to get it back.......or how much he had to pay lol.

Just after i left the band apparently a year or so later the van got nicked with all the PA and guitars on board, outside of the guitarists house.

Hmmmmm.