Why become a member? ×

How am I going to get this fast?

When I pull my finger out, I'll do a video lesson of a picking exercise and technique I have been working on that has improved my dexterity, speed and acuracy no end. Don't hold you're breath though as I have been terminally lazy on the 'To Do list' recently!!!!

[quote name='The inglourious bass turd' post='787504' date='Mar 26 2010, 10:26 PM']So, just congratulating myself on getting the 144 rock pace, and my long awaited 'rock bass cover' book arrives with The ace of spades in it, which is all I've ever wanted to play! Suggested metronome setting? 288! How in the name of Lemmy am I going to get that fast?[/quote]

288 bpm for 1/8th notes (quavers) is the same as 144 bpm for 1/4 notes (crotchets). Or is it the other way round? I'm sleepy!

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The inglourious bass turd' post='787504' date='Mar 26 2010, 10:26 PM']So, just congratulating myself on getting the 144 rock pace, and my long awaited 'rock bass cover' book arrives with The ace of spades in it, which is all I've ever wanted to play! Suggested metronome setting? 288! How in the name of Lemmy am I going to get that fast?[/quote]

Having seen Motorhead a few times, it's a point of note just how relaxed Lemmy's technique is. There's no "sawing a log" a la Phil Lynott.

Other things to consider...

How high/low do you wear your bass? You may find a bit of strap-tweakage can help.

Ditto, what sort/thickness of pick? If you use a heavy pick, try a lighter gauge for a while & then work back up through the gauges. I started with Jim Dunlop Nylon 0.88mm (the grey ones), & the eventually settled on JD Nylon 1mm (black). There's no "right answer" for this btw, whatever works for you is correct.

Finally... It's all in the wrist! (with a bit of Forearm) I trust you're not trying the guitar-picker's technique of thumb & forefinger - that could be bad if you are, there are suggestions that it can lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which is one of the worst things that can happen to any player. It's also a crap method for bass IMO.

I was lying about Finally. This is Finally. All previous Finallys are hereby declared penultimate. Where was I? Ah....

Don't forget strokes can go Up as well as Down.

Have some fillums of the man in question:

[quote name='Musicman69' post='787606' date='Mar 27 2010, 02:46 AM']Good to get ur speed up.. get 16ths (ie 4 hits between each click) up to 120 bpm. Its not easy but youll start to bliss out if you get to 116, it sounds so sweet.
Make sure its a pattern that changes strings, no Ac/Dc stuff![/quote]

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

OI! Don't dis Mr Williams! He's one of the rock-steadiest players in the field.

Sheesh! You'll be having a pop at Alan Lancaster next! :lol:

This was one of the first bass lines I learnt, many moons ago. It's not as tricky as it may look, but I guess that depends on what you were used to playing before. As for as metal/punk/etc bass-lines go, it's actually quite sedate. Lemmy's style it quite relaxed and 'springy', in terms of how he hits the strings (I say this as I seen Motorhead live quite a few times).

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='787613' date='Mar 27 2010, 05:32 AM']:) :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

OI! Don't dis Mr Williams! He's one of the rock-steadiest players in the field.

Sheesh! You'll be having a pop at Alan Lancaster next! :lol:[/quote]

Absolutely not dissing Mr. Williams.. Ive total respect for the man and his bassisms.
Love the Quo aswell. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Nuttin' but love for the Quo :)

I was chatting to a client at work, lovely old dear, and we were going on about music and I mentioned that I'm the bassist in a band.
She replies "Oh yes my cousin plays bass in Status Quo"
I did a double-take to make sure she didn't mean a tribute band, but it turns out her cousin is actually Rhino Edwards of Quo!

I tried my luck but sadly such a tenuous link isn't enough to get me backstage or anything :rolleyes: