Why become a member? ×

More than 4?

Bilbo

IMO this thread has gone far beyond the OP of amount of strings, blah, blah. It has turned into a debate on musical snoberry/acceptism, it is still entertaining, but has nothing to do with the forum it has been posted in.
Please Can the "mods" move this to somewhere more appropriate. :)

[quote name='tempo' post='96461' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:59 AM']Please Can the "mods" move this to somewhere more appropriate. :)[/quote]

Like round the back of the sheds, where it can be put out of it's misery with a twelve bore... lol

I think the thread is ok here... I'm sure it will do full circle before it snuffs itself out. Just glad to see it has turned into a discussion once again. :huh:

I didn't bother to read the entire load of discussion in this thread, I only read the first and last pages......

anyway.

When I play my 9-string with the gospel choir, I mostly stay on the bottom 6 strings. That low F# string is very useful for gospel, mainly because so many songs are in the key of Bb. And the gospel style loves the sub-low notes! :)

But when I play it at home, I mostly experiment with chords and melodies in the upper register. Sweet sound, perhaps guitar-like but that's all right, and I'm still learning how to apply the added range to various musical situations...

Very cool !! Great to see that you've made it onto here with that amazing 'Al Caldwell' Conklin.

At last, an ERB-er who voices how the instrument is used in an ensemble environment.... :) I that when i saink of my 7 as a kind of "Swiss army knife" bass which can be used in all kinds of settings and not just for solo work.

I've got to say, that your bass is the one that really got me seriously thinking about 9's !!

[quote name='7string' post='96627' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:53 PM']Very cool !! Great to see that you've made it onto here with that amazing 'Al Caldwell' Conklin.

At last, an ERB-er who voices how the instrument is used in an ensemble environment.... :huh: I that when i saink of my 7 as a kind of "Swiss army knife" bass which can be used in all kinds of settings and not just for solo work.

I've got to say, that your bass is the one that really got me seriously thinking about 9's !![/quote]

MB1. :)

Makes me seriously think about tackling the Ironing! :huh:

[quote name='7string' post='96627' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:53 PM']Very cool !! Great to see that you've made it onto here with that amazing 'Al Caldwell' Conklin.

I've got to say, that your bass is the one that really got me seriously thinking about 9's !![/quote]

:huh: :huh: :huh:
awww...you hurt me 7string,and i thought you had only eyes for me.... :)

(sexy conklin....)

What are the specs Elros

[quote name='elros' post='96583' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:42 AM']I didn't bother to read the entire load of discussion in this thread, I only read the first and last pages......

anyway.

When I play my 9-string with the gospel choir, I mostly stay on the bottom 6 strings. That low F# string is very useful for gospel, mainly because so many songs are in the key of Bb. And the gospel style loves the sub-low notes! :)

But when I play it at home, I mostly experiment with chords and melodies in the upper register. Sweet sound, perhaps guitar-like but that's all right, and I'm still learning how to apply the added range to various musical situations...

[/quote]

I was actually listening to your soundclips on the Yves Carbonne site the other night, they sound really good.

It's a great looking bass by the way.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='96835' date='Nov 30 2007, 05:33 PM']I was actually listening to your soundclips on the Yves Carbonne site the other night, they sound really good.

It's a great looking bass by the way.[/quote]

MB1. :)
A Veritable Must Have item for Pub Gigs!
Confusing though! its bigger than the bar!.

[quote name='dood' post='96878' date='Nov 30 2007, 06:28 PM']*dodgy Freud accent* but... hmmm , whilst vee are here... why don't you tell me about your mother.. ver you breast fed?[/quote]

I tsink it iz in the absence ov creeaytivity that leedz me tou zer ERB as a vital meanz ov expression,vhen restricted tou the basic elemental 4 I felt constrained.....vuns limits ov knowledge,are limits of reality* ..yes? I decided to remov my limits

*Wittgenstien

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='Alun' post='96840' date='Nov 30 2007, 05:40 PM']Yup :)

What would Freud make of this thread I wonder :huh: ?[/quote]

[url="http://www.independent.co.uk/living/food_and_drink/recipes/article100339.ece"]"Simplicity is the key to good entertaining, says Sir Clement."[/url]

:huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='96908' date='Nov 30 2007, 07:21 PM'][url="http://www.independent.co.uk/living/food_and_drink/recipes/article100339.ece"]"Simplicity is the key to good entertaining, says Sir Clement."[/url]

:)[/quote]

Deviation....

i think a modified version of a quote i just read, although i didn't like the original 'cos it was dissing the NHS, summed up my opinion on this nicely:

[quote]The reason the number of 4 string basses is high is due to historical reasons rather than it being the best system[/quote]

that's just what i think though.

Sorry Dood but if I am gonna have a 7 string where the sun does not shine its gonna have to be a single-cut. Maybe thats what they are for :)

The reason why I think the dividing line is between 6 and 7 is that should hell freeze over tomorrow I could go out and buy a 6 string.

Until ERB's reach a wider audience - how ever that can be defined - I shall continue to refer to it as stunt, circus, musical novelty act and whatever derogatory term I can come up with next. Its gotta be more than the freak show at the trade show. I would even like it to be more than the freak show at the trade show. I didn't make the world.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96985' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:11 PM']Sorry Dood but if I am gonna have a 7 string where the sun does not shine its gonna have to be a single-cut. Maybe thats what they are for :)[/quote]
lol... I think the headless version is designed for easy entry.. The curves are purely aesthetic. Maybe the doublecut away has been included for a double entry.

I'm sorry... I can't believe I even typed that myself,

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96985' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:11 PM']The reason why I think the dividing line is between 6 and 7 is that should hell freeze over tomorrow I could go out and buy a 6 string.[/quote]

Ya know though, if hell does freeze over, you could use a 7 string as a sledge, and ski all the way home ;o) Or a big enough fire to defrost the place ;o)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96985' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:11 PM']Until ERB's reach a wider audience - how ever that can be defined - I shall continue to refer to it as stunt, circus, musical novelty act and whatever derogatory term I can come up with next. Its gotta be more than the freak show at the trade show. I would even like it to be more than the freak show at the trade show. I didn't make the world.[/quote]

lol lol.. John, I don't think anyone is going to change your mind on this thread ;o) refer to it as you will but I couldn't agree with that comment i'm afraid. Then, as it has been said so many times already, everyone has their own opinions ;o)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='96985' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:11 PM']Until ERB's reach a wider audience - how ever that can be defined - I shall continue to refer to it as stunt, circus, musical novelty act and whatever derogatory term I can come up with next. Its gotta be more than the freak show at the trade show. I would even like it to be more than the freak show at the trade show. I didn't make the world.[/quote]

It must be tidy,living in a small world,where your general vision can see no further in the darkness caused by the entrapping walls of your skull squeezed against your colon.....

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='97030' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:01 PM']It must be tidy,living in a small world,where your general vision can see no further in the darkness caused by the entrapping walls of your skull squeezed against your colon.....[/quote]

rofl