Why become a member? ×

New(ish) musicman basses - Classic Stingray & Stingray SLO

Quatschmacher

Holy cow, I don't know what planet I've been living on lately but I was completely unaware that Ernie Ball have released some amazing new basses. Firstly I saw that they have remade the classic stingray with the (almost) original decal, through-body stringing, nice bird's eye maple on the necks. The other thing I spotted which nearly made me wet myself is that they've got a neck option on the normal Stingray called slo special. This is a Sterling profile neck! i.e. 1.5" nut but still with the Ray-sized headstock. This is SOOO cool. When I bought my last bass I really wanted the Stingray because I preferred the sound and the body shape and size. However, I still couldn't get on with the neck so ended up with the Sterling because it the neck was more comfortable and I could get a sound which was close.

My question is, has anybody got either the Classic Stingray or the Stingray slo special (or physically seen them anywhere)? I really want to check them out!

That looks pretty. I was surprised that it doesn't seem to be available in natural (yet). But that ought to save me some money!

Been looking on the EBMM forum to see if I can find some more. I'd love get my mitts on one to try.

Just found some pics of the slo special on the bass central website!

Edited by Quatschmacher

They're also doing 'Classic' Sterlings, and Stingray 5's. The fivers are the same design as the SR4s - and they look friggin' wicked.

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42121-brace-your-selves-classic-sting-ray-5-pics-surpirse.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...s-surpirse.html[/url]

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42125-classic-sterling-torture-abuse-humor.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...buse-humor.html[/url]

I love the powder blue sterling...yuuuummmmm

[quote name='Duarte' post='782320' date='Mar 22 2010, 02:31 AM']They're also doing 'Classic' Sterlings.

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/42125-classic-sterling-torture-abuse-humor.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...buse-humor.html[/url][/quote]

LOL, that's actually quite funny. Like a reissue of a bass that never existed before :)

I too thought the Sterling Classic was a bit of an odd idea, maybe it was Sterling Ball's way of showing that he wasn't just doing a reissue of the ray, but adding a twist. The 5-string classic ray is what they should've done all along, it looks great. The normal SR5 look OK but I always thought they should've called it something else as it doesn't look like a ray.

I'd love to check out the 4 string classic ray, I'm intrigued as to whether the more rounded fingerboard (lower radius) would make the wide neck more manageble for me. Anyone seen these in the UK shops yet? Or the SLO?

Edited by Quatschmacher

[quote name='Quatschmacher' post='782383' date='Mar 22 2010, 10:27 AM']The 5-string classic ray is what they should've done all along, it looks great. The normal SR5 look OK but I always thought they should've called it something else as it doesn't look like a ray.[/quote]

+1 to that! The headstock of the SR5 has always bugged me though - somehow the position of the lower tuner just looks wrong. In my opinion the Classic SR5 should have a headstock more like the Sterling 5...

I know what you mean; when I bought my Stingray there were only ever about three MM basses in any one shop. I rang around and ended up getting it from Sound Control (they shipped it from a branch in Scotland to the Sheffield shop) in the exact specification I wanted. Unfortunately it had a very unresponsive E string (even with new strings) so I returned it. When I went looking for a Sterling there was only one in the whole city, at least it was enough to try it out to see if I liked it. I then ended up finding one I wanted on ebay and imported it from the USA. Saved soooo much money by doing this. I agree that finding a SLO or classic may well be much harder, both because they'll be scarcer in the UK and there'll be less used ones floating around the USA due to their just having been released recently. I will buy a SLO Stingray as it is the ideal combination for me, just don't want to shell out a ridiculous amount for a new one so I'm going to have to wait for quite some time yet.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Quatschmacher' post='781424' date='Mar 21 2010, 11:04 AM']My question is, has anybody got either the Classic Stingray or the Stingray slo special (or physically seen them anywhere)? I really want to check them out![/quote]

I'm not sure if you are still interested in an answer to this question, but I've just picked up my classic 4 today. What an unbelievable finish, totally gobsmacked with the quality. I must admit to buying it without playing it - on reputation, as they say. Not my usual style, but I've a regular MM before and I figured they wouldn't get this new one wrong. I'll post a couple of pics, if anyone is interested. Thanks for listening...just needed to tell someone!!!

[quote name='enty' post='882545' date='Jun 30 2010, 10:42 PM']I'm not sure if you are still interested in an answer to this question, but I've just picked up my classic 4 today. What an unbelievable finish, totally gobsmacked with the quality. I must admit to buying it without playing it - on reputation, as they say. Not my usual style, but I've a regular MM before and I figured they wouldn't get this new one wrong. I'll post a couple of pics, if anyone is interested. Thanks for listening...just needed to tell someone!!![/quote]

I really REALLY wanted my Classic to be spot on, and it seems yours must be and mine had a small problem.

I hope to see pics soon!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='882550' date='Jun 30 2010, 10:48 PM']I really REALLY wanted my Classic to be spot on, and it seems yours must be and mine had a small problem.

I hope to see pics soon![/quote]
sorry to hear you had problems...care to share?

[quote name='enty' post='882560' date='Jun 30 2010, 10:59 PM']sorry to hear you had problems...care to share?[/quote]

That colour looks great!

I can see by looking at yours that I had a fairly rare problem; a neck pocket gap and a step between the neck side to the body. Yours looks perfect!

Enjoy :)

[quote name='enty' post='882557' date='Jun 30 2010, 10:58 PM']A couple of pics, as promised...[attachment=53320:IMG_4338.JPG][attachment=53319:IMG_4334.JPG][attachment=53321:IMG_4343.
JPG][attachment=53322:IMG_4344.JPG][attachment=53323:IMG_4346.JPG][/quote]

Beautiful! I want one bad. Can't help feeling Stingrays and alike are mucho overpriced right now though.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='882582' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:31 PM']That colour looks great!

I can see by looking at yours that I had a fairly rare problem; a neck pocket gap and a step between the neck side to the body. Yours looks perfect!

Enjoy :)[/quote]

To my eyes that step is still there, especially at the body end. Could be my contacts playing up though.

Its a lovely bass though, im jealous even though i would never get one (neck too big).

Edited by dave_bass5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was in GuitarGuitar in Newcastle at the weekend and had a very quick go on the Classic Stingray they've just got in (white/maple). So disappointed that the neck is just as uncomfortable for my tiny hands as a regular Stingray. :) I was gutted and so didn't even plug it in. There's no use falling in love with the sound and be tortured that I'll never be able to play it. On the plus side, it'll save me the money and the lusting. It really looks like the SLO Special is going to be the one for me, if I can find one in the UK!

[quote name='Quatschmacher' post='892893' date='Jul 12 2010, 03:50 PM']Well, I was in GuitarGuitar in Newcastle at the weekend and had a very quick go on the Classic Stingray they've just got in (white/maple). So disappointed that the neck is just as uncomfortable for my tiny hands as a regular Stingray. :) I was gutted and so didn't even plug it in. There's no use falling in love with the sound and be tortured that I'll never be able to play it. On the plus side, it'll save me the money and the lusting. It really looks like the SLO Special is going to be the one for me, if I can find one in the UK![/quote]

Pm me I know of one!